• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

E-fan Swap Question 1993 3.0 4x4 Splash

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Unrelated to this particular thread, but I'm concerned one (or more) of my "new" fuel injectors may be leaking. I already had to return one of the six I ordered as it came only partially assembled. Ha. If not for that I may have expected installation error, despite checking and rechecking my work. Pretty strong fuel smell coming from the intake manifold when I crack the throttle plate. I had some issues with starting as well after the install which I had attributed to maybe air in the fuel line. Fuel pressure is good KOEO and while running. Fuel pressure regulator also seems to be working fine. So we'll see... I'll message Rockauto tomorrow and see what they can do for me as I've already returned my original injectors as cores.

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got the Big 3 finally finished and mounted the fan today.

efan mount01.jpg
efan mount02.jpg
efan mount03.jpg
efan mount04.jpg

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Its going to do a lot better job of pulling air through the radiator if you block that opening around the outside of the fan housing.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm gonna be curious on how well that works.

How close to the radiator is the fan?

I like that much better then running zip mounts through the radiator.

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Its going to do a lot better job of pulling air through the radiator if you block that opening around the outside of the fan housing.
Agreed. My original intent was to find something that I could cut to fit the gap and bolt in between the mounts. Not sure what kind of material I will use. I *might* try it without it and see how the flow works as it sits now.

I'm gonna be curious on how well that works.

How close to the radiator is the fan?

I like that much better then running zip mounts through the radiator.
Same. I have high hopes as it has less pass by airflow than the stock e fan on some Rangers.

I'd say an inch or so? I wanted to flip the brackets around and recess it deeper, but it won't quite fit that way as the circular section transitions to the rectangular dimension a bit too soon. If I did more modification it might work, but I think diminishing returns at that point may make it not worth the time and effort.

Thanks! Me too. Zip ties are tried and true, but I worry about just how well those tiny fins would hold the weight of the fan over time. In my opinion, could cause early rad failure. Though that's just speculation. Haha

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1653493019798.png

Case in point, here's a stock Ranger e fan on a later model truck. I did notice that it is MUCH closer to the radiator though. Possibly touching. So the extra space around it may not be as much of an issue as on mine.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I did the zip tie install through a brand new 2 row explorer radiator when I did my V8 swap years ago.

Even though I never had an issue with the install... it sure looked like an accident that was about the happen.

Keep us posted on how it works after you get stuck in stop and go traffic for a 1/2 hour.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
View attachment 76905

Case in point, here's a stock Ranger e fan on a later model truck. I did notice that it is MUCH closer to the radiator though. Possibly touching. So the extra space around it may not be as much of an issue as on mine.
That space around it comes more into play due to the gap you have between fan and radiator.

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did the zip tie install through a brand new 2 row explorer radiator when I did my V8 swap years ago.

Even though I never had an issue with the install... it sure looked like an accident that was about the happen.

Keep us posted on how it works after you get stuck in stop and go traffic for a 1/2 hour.
Nice! For ease of install it sure is tempting. Especially since I could probably bolt the stock shroud around it once it was attached to the radiator. If it doesn't work out I still have the zip ties that came with the fan. May keep them in the truck in case of emergency. Lol

Oh yeah, I live in Houston so traffic that's only 1/2 an hour is a good day. LOL

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That space around it comes more into play due to the gap you have between fan and radiator.
That makes sense. As since mine isn't touching the radiator it could allow the air to pass in from the engine side of the fan instead of through the rad.

Any thoughts on what type of material to use as an air dam? I saw someone use aluminum, but that seems like a headache I do not want. Lol

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I think I would try to mod your brackets to set the fan deeper in the shroud... even shift it sideways to clear the shroud.

But honestly... I would see what it does as is first.

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
coolant temp sender.jpg

Went with the upper rad hose for my temp sender. Fit nicely under the intake tube when I test fit. There's just enough straight section in this part of the hose for the adapter and this will keep it out of the highest section. Here it is about level with the top of the radiator instead of above it as it would have been if I would have installed it further up in the hose. Hopefully that will ensure that it stays in the coolant even if it does get a bubble in the hose. Need teflon tape or I'd have the sender itself in too.

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
Thats nice work, Ive been taking notes. What made you go with Derale?

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thats nice work, Ive been taking notes. What made you go with Derale?
Thanks man.
Size worked for my fan shroud, pulled a decent amount of air and the current draw seemed to match air flow claims. I read somewhere that current draw *can* be a decent indication of actual flow rate, which makes sense imo. Also it was sold by Summit which I am partial to over Amazon as I have had issues with quality control from Amazon in the past. All in all that is more on the supplier and less on Amazon as a whole, but peace of mind and whatnot, I suppose. Lol Price was decent too comparatively. They also sold associated relays specifically for the fan. Reviews were mostly positive so that didn't hurt either. But there could very easily be better options out there that I missed or passed over.

My current dilemma is where to put these relays under the hood. I'm pretty tempted to slot them in my stock under hood relay/fuse box, replacing the fog light connection and the two free slots with the three relays I needed for this job. Working on how I might do that now.

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Anyone know where that wiring diagram that included wiring your a/c into the fan actuation went? I swear I saw it some time ago, but can't seem to find it now.

This one:

is really good, but doesn't include a/c.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals