• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First Ford Ever

qorray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
225/60/15
My credo
ODAAT
Hello everyone, picked up my first Ford ever!!! 1990 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2.9L AT unknown miles. Truck named after my boxer Roscoe nickname "lug nut". Why this truck?, caught my eye on Craigslist as being uniquely farmtruckish. Went to test drive and it needed everything, but drove ok and was complete. Swear to god every part on this truck is original after 32 years!!!!!! While I'm not into common cars/trucks anymore I try and find cars that stand out in a different way. Lugnut filled my current void for a project!!! I'm an old hotrodder more on the GM side but dabble in anything that uniquely catches my eye, last 2 projects for my Covid-19 builds were a 1971 Kaiser CJ5 and a 2016 all electric SCCA built Fiat 500. Both of these are stories by themselves. This Ranger is a cool project with many pros/cons, will share more on the journey later. As far as direction for this project, it will be well a urban farmtruck for me and my wife for our urban house in Fort Worth Texas. What you see in picture is the vibe we want to keep, all the work really happens under truck!!!! Did add the 70's staggered Cragar Magmaster slotted rims, 14x8.5 and 14x7 for a little hustle. 14" rims!!!!!!, these came off a 1970 Chevelle ss convertible a buddy bought out in Weatherford and he didn't want them. Sold original rims to a friend that has a 1994 Ranger. We do a lot of gardening, have chickens and 2 special pups. Roscoe gets in Lugnut when the door opens, very hard to get him out. Thanks for being here and look forward to my first Ford journey.

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome to TRS.
The truck looks to be in decent rust free shape.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You can spin these trucks whichever way makes you smile.

There is a Tech Library that has 20 plus years of information that will most likely come in handy.

It's gonna get in your blood.

Welcome to TRS...

qorray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
225/60/15
My credo
ODAAT
Yes it is. Definitely seen use in its life, but taken care of. I think it was stored for 12 years also with bad transmission, had new looking 12 year radials on it when I got it. No trailer queen for sure, really like parking lots as I worry about no-one door dinging me!!!!! Q

qorray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
225/60/15
My credo
ODAAT
And smiling I am.....

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS!

Being that you have a hot rod background, then you have picked a good project. There’s a limited aftermarket for these, but if you’re willing to step outside the box, well, the sky is the limit.

Are you planning on keeping the current drivetrain and just modding it or are you planning on going a different route? If you are keeping the current drivetrain, @gaz and @PetroleumJunkie412 have done a lot to the engine. If it’s an automatic, I would highly recommend doing a shift kit and valve body mods. My 92 with just the transmission work (and a 4.0 under the hood) would light up the back tires if you got on the gas too hard.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

qorray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
225/60/15
My credo
ODAAT
Welcome to TRS!

Being that you have a hot rod background, then you have picked a good project. There’s a limited aftermarket for these, but if you’re willing to step outside the box, well, the sky is the limit.

Are you planning on keeping the current drivetrain and just modding it or are you planning on going a different route? If you are keeping the current drivetrain, @gaz and @PetroleumJunkie412 have done a lot to the engine. If it’s an automatic, I would highly recommend doing a shift kit and valve body mods. My 92 with just the transmission work (and a 4.0 under the hood) would light up the back tires if you got on the gas too hard.
Last "hotrod" in this case that I did right was a 1971 Buick Skylark Custom convertible, lot of work over a 10 year period but sold it around 2010. This car is in Amsterdam, I still talk to owner to this day! Nicest car I've built to date but not the funnest. Once you go to far modding seems your always fixing something or tuning. Modding flavor on this truck is stock (except those old Cragars & wood bed rails, I think I did say I love my truck!!!). I want my wife to be able to enjoy it also, when I really mod a car really I'm the only one who drives it because it's either slammed, crazy tire combos, stretched tires, to fast, lifted to high, paints to nice, might rain etc... I know there's a few people probably on here that know what I mean.

Couple pics from my Covid19 builds last 2 years

1971 Kaiser CJ5 with the Dauntless V6 3SPD with Warn overdrive. Heaviest clutch I have ever had to drive, this WILL give you a Popeye left leg. Cant remember but I think the flywheel was like 50-60#s. Crazy cool, mainly suspension mods

2016 Fiat 500e all electric rocket, way to much to list. Complete suspension replacement for SCCA racing (to much to list), if Fiat hadn't pulled out of US market I would still have this car. Very fast around town light to light, sucked on highway!!! Traded almost straight up for a 2021 Toyota Corolla Hatchback XSE 6 speed manual, to the dealer. My local Toyota manager just had to have this car and I was happy it got a good home.

Funny you mention tranny, what shift kit works best with the A4LD in your opinion? I got the new Lubelocker gasket and Mercon V ready to go but a shift kit sounds right up my alley. Let me know.

Attachments

qorray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
225/60/15
My credo
ODAAT

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Last "hotrod" in this case that I did right was a 1971 Buick Skylark Custom convertible, lot of work over a 10 year period but sold it around 2010. This car is in Amsterdam, I still talk to owner to this day! Nicest car I've built to date but not the funnest. Once you go to far modding seems your always fixing something or tuning. Modding flavor on this truck is stock (except those old Cragars & wood bed rails, I think I did say I love my truck!!!). I want my wife to be able to enjoy it also, when I really mod a car really I'm the only one who drives it because it's either slammed, crazy tire combos, stretched tires, to fast, lifted to high, paints to nice, might rain etc... I know there's a few people probably on here that know what I mean.

Couple pics from my Covid19 builds last 2 years

1971 Kaiser CJ5 with the Dauntless V6 3SPD with Warn overdrive. Heaviest clutch I have ever had to drive, this WILL give you a Popeye left leg. Cant remember but I think the flywheel was like 50-60#s. Crazy cool, mainly suspension mods

2016 Fiat 500e all electric rocket, way to much to list. Complete suspension replacement for SCCA racing (to much to list), if Fiat hadn't pulled out of US market I would still have this car. Very fast around town light to light, sucked on highway!!! Traded almost straight up for a 2021 Toyota Corolla Hatchback XSE 6 speed manual, to the dealer. My local Toyota manager just had to have this car and I was happy it got a good home.

Funny you mention tranny, what shift kit works best with the A4LD in your opinion? I got the new Lubelocker gasket and Mercon V ready to go but a shift kit sounds right up my alley. Let me know.
I wouldn’t overlook doing some engine modding. It’s relatively easy to get a little better performance and ensure the engine will last with these. Just something you might want to keep in mind.

I used the TransGo shift kit and did some other mods recommended both with the TransGo kit and some that were recommended on an Explorer forum. I’ve been meaning to try and get things detailed on here, but between my injuries and stuff I haven’t got that far yet.

qorray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
225/60/15
My credo
ODAAT
I was also looking at the Zipper Kit, thanks for the reply. Q

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is farm-truckish.

Nice!

Welcome aboard.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals