• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

351 block numbers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford f150
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I'm stumped on this one. I have 351 block, on the top of the block, it says 351 CCP24, which would (I think) be 351 Cleveland. Then, the numbers on the side are D9AE-6015-ED-24. Those first four letters tell me that this block is a '79, but Clevelands weren't made after '74.
Also, the timing chain isn't recessed into the block, it's on the outside with a cart aluminum cover, which I'm also told is Windsor. But then why does the block have 351C printed on it?
Can you guys help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
you are correct on both accounts... D9 = 79, and no clevelands were made in North America past 74. Doesn't look like a 351C either. My guess windsor

also check the foundry markings on the block if you can find them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford f150
Transmission
Manual
you are correct on both accounts... D9 = 79, and no clevelands were made in North America past 74. Doesn't look like a 351C either. My guess windsor

also check the foundry markings on the block if you can find them.

What are foundry markings?

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
each foundry or plant that forges the items (heads blocks) will have a mold that is in the casting. cf w or others. that link will show you what they look like. this will also help ID a ford major part.

you have the heads also? what do they look like?

CCP is Cleveland Casting Plant (not engine)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford f150
Transmission
Manual
each foundry or plant that forges the items (heads blocks) will have a mold that is in the casting. cf w or others. that link will show you what they look like. this will also help ID a ford major part.
Ok. Thanks! Both your answers were very helpful. I wanted to be sure about the engine block, because I know that certain parts between the Cleveland and the Windsor are not interchangeable without some sort of damage at some point. Now that I know, I can order parts in peace.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford f150
Transmission
Manual

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
fyi, the 400M was made until at least 79 and it was based on the 351C but is taller to allow for more stroke to get to 400 ci. You can put Cleveland heads on those and make a lot of power.

But the one in the picture is a W block, not a C or M block.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford f150
Transmission
Manual
fyi, the 400M was made until at least 79 and it was based on the 351C but is taller to allow for more stroke to get to 400 ci. You can put Cleveland heads on those and make a lot of power.

But the one in the picture is a W block, not a C or M block.
So if I put Cleveland heads on my Windsor I'll get more power(better flow)?

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can put Cleveland heads on a Windsor block - that is called a Clevor. It takes some modifications which I don't recall off the top of my head, but some of the Boss 302 from back in the day were Clevor motors. Its going to be less expensive and less work to put some good new aluminum heads on the Windsor, as they have combustion chambers more like the Cleveland head. Search Trick Flow Twisted Wedge aluminum heads for example.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford f150
Transmission
Manual
You can put Cleveland heads on a Windsor block - that is called a Clevor. It takes some modifications which I don't recall off the top of my head, but some of the Boss 302 from back in the day were Clevor motors. Its going to be less expensive and less work to put some good new aluminum heads on the Windsor, as they have combustion chambers more like the Cleveland head. Search Trick Flow Twisted Wedge aluminum heads for example.
Those look a little pricey but probably worth it lol. I'm not trying to cram 800 horse into my engine, I'm looking for about 400, but I do know good flow is key. I appreciate your input all!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Those look a little pricey but probably worth it lol. I'm not trying to cram 800 horse into my engine, I'm looking for about 400, but I do know good flow is key. I appreciate your input all!
I agree that better Windsor heads are the way to go. Cleveland heads require reworking coolant passages, a unique(read: expensive) intake manifold, and different pistons to retain any compression. You'll spend way more than buying better Windsor heads will cost. Cleveland 2 barrel heads have big ports and huge, compression killing chambers. Cleveland 4 barrel heads have Friggin' huge, low end torque killing ports and smaller chambers. 96 Explorers used GT40 heads, 97 and up got GT 40P heads, and iron Windsor Jr heads are a little heavier but have better ports and bigger valves. Be realistic about the RPM range you want, huge ports and valves are like a big cam - you get bragging rights but give up low end torque and driveability. My 302 Mustang runs 13.8 @ 102 mph with 96 Explorer GT 40 heads and a roller cam with only 210 degrees at .050 of intake duration. And I drive it 2 hours each way to New England Dragway so the trailers can be freed up to haul the blown up Chevys back home.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
lol about towing the blown up Chebbies home.

GT40 heads are quite good if you put decent valve springs in them (the Explorer springs were junk). Just be careful about GT40 v. GT40P as the GT40P have different spark plug orientation that makes finding headers that work very difficult.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Rule of thumb for 2 OHV engines: 9.0:1 CR runs on 87 octane gasoline and delivers ~1 ft.lb torque/cubic inch displacement.
10:1 CR is about 10% more and likes 91 octane.​
e.g. 280 ft.lbs from an Explorer 5.0 with 9.0:1 CR.​
HP = torque * RPM / 5252 or RPM = HP * 5252 / Torque (if you want to know what speed the engine needs to be making power you want.
e.g. 210 hp @ 4,200 in Explorer 5.0, means it is making 263 ft. lb. Pretty nice, flat torque curve.​
Hypothetical 351, 9.0:1 CR = ~330 ft. lbs torque. Which means you need at least 6k rpm to make 400 hp. (Probably more like 6,750 'cause torque is probable down to ~310 ft. lbs) Anyfewer rpms and your engine builder is BS'ing you.
Increasing CR will pull those numbers down a little.​
A 7k rpm V-8 is fun on track, not so much on street.​
Way back when I was wee lad, the Australian Cleveland heads were the ticket - small ports/valves/chambers (for a Cleveland), 2nd were 351M (small ports/valves, large chambers, needing domed pistons for decent CR). Ford made nice "Street Boss" intake to run them.

GT40 heads on a 351 push CR to about 10.5:1 - which would put 400 hp at 5,750 rpm or little higher (you'll be losing torque as GT40 heads aren't designed to move that much air). But you'll need to run premium and/or back off the timing.

But today, there are lots of aftermarket aluminium heads just as good (or probably better). Aluminium heads allow 10.5:1 CR with 87 octane as they aren't as susceptible to detonation.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford f150
Transmission
Manual
Rule of thumb for 2 OHV engines: 9.0:1 CR runs on 87 octane gasoline and delivers ~1 ft.lb torque/cubic inch displacement.
10:1 CR is about 10% more and likes 91 octane.​
e.g. 280 ft.lbs from an Explorer 5.0 with 9.0:1 CR.​
HP = torque * RPM / 5252 or RPM = HP * 5252 / Torque (if you want to know what speed the engine needs to be making power you want.
e.g. 210 hp @ 4,200 in Explorer 5.0, means it is making 263 ft. lb. Pretty nice, flat torque curve.​
Hypothetical 351, 9.0:1 CR = ~330 ft. lbs torque. Which means you need at least 6k rpm to make 400 hp. (Probably more like 6,750 'cause torque is probable down to ~310 ft. lbs) Anyfewer rpms and your engine builder is BS'ing you.
Increasing CR will pull those numbers down a little.​
A 7k rpm V-8 is fun on track, not so much on street.​
Way back when I was wee lad, the Australian Cleveland heads were the ticket - small ports/valves/chambers (for a Cleveland), 2nd were 351M (small ports/valves, large chambers, needing domed pistons for decent CR). Ford made nice "Street Boss" intake to run them.

GT40 heads on a 351 push CR to about 10.5:1 - which would put 400 hp at 5,750 rpm or little higher (you'll be losing torque as GT40 heads aren't designed to move that much air). But you'll need to run premium and/or back off the timing.

But today, there are lots of aftermarket aluminium heads just as good (or probably better). Aluminium heads allow 10.5:1 CR with 87 octane as they aren't as susceptible to detonation.
Ok so you just answered the question I got on here to ask lol. I got a set of 351 heads, guy said they were clevelands, but they ended up being 351m or 400 heads. Which is fine, but I have to get a special intake to make those work on my 351w block right?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals