• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Did you park by the Jeep or did the Jeep park by you?
The important question is...

Did the Jeep have to pull you out to get there?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, running out of options here. Still can't get it running after the Wednesday night almost flood I had to drive through to get home from work. Decisions decisions. Have it towed to my friend Rick's shop, or have it towed to the nearest Pick-A-Part? It's 24 years old. I don't know if I want to spend any more money on it.
I’d fix it. If it’s turning over freely I’d have to think that it didn’t get flooded out. Is it still showing the same code with the other cam sensor? Feel like with more information we might be able to help

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
2005 2.3,manual. about 367,500 miles. cylinder #1 is very tired.

2022-05-08 13.41.31.jpg

I left the tranny in. it's still attached to the cross member, front is at normal height.
there is plenty of room to get the 2 upper bell housing bolts if you use a 30" extension with wobble socket.
go over the tranny, you will have to work blind and put the socket on the bolts by feel, from under the bell housing.

the bolt behind the pass side exhaust manifold can be accessed with a 24" extension & wobble socket going over the motor mount, between the AC/ALT bracket & block.

2022-05-08 14.00.40.jpg

AC is still intact too.

2022-05-08 14.00.58.jpg

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I’d fix it. If it’s turning over freely I’d have to think that it didn’t get flooded out. Is it still showing the same code with the other cam sensor? Feel like with more information we might be able to help
Yes, turns over freely and still shows the same code. Talked to my friend Rick and he said have it towed to my place. We'll figure it out. Likely I'll do that. I went to it today, pulled the negative terminal. Will go back tomorrow, hook it back up and try once more. I'm out of options here. It's parked in a place where the owner may not want it there too much longer.

I don't have more information. I have no idea why it's like it is. Fuel pressure is there. I know the computer shows a no oil pressure on these particular vehicles when the Cam Position Sensor code is present. But I have no idea what else to pursue. If Rick can get it running, I'll have him change out the O2 sensors. That'll clear the P0133 and maybe the 171/174. The 401 for the deleted EGR is kinda sorta stuck.

But, the 133, 171, 174 and 401 have been present for years without any problems. The 340 is the only thing new.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yes, turns over freely and still shows the same code. Talked to my friend Rick and he said have it towed to my place. We'll figure it out. Likely I'll do that. I went to it today, pulled the negative terminal. Will go back tomorrow, hook it back up and try once more. I'm out of options here. It's parked in a place where the owner may not want it there too much longer.

I don't have more information. I have no idea why it's like it is. Fuel pressure is there. I know the computer shows a no oil pressure on these particular vehicles when the Cam Position Sensor code is present. But I have no idea what else to pursue. If Rick can get it running, I'll have him change out the O2 sensors. That'll clear the P0133 and maybe the 171/174. The 401 for the deleted EGR is kinda sorta stuck.

But, the 133, 171, 174 and 401 have been present for years without any problems. The 340 is the only thing new.
You have a 3.0.

Exactly, the 4.0l software doesn't disable the engine when cam sensor fails
3.0l software does, its a puzzler
Bingo.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

That is a puzzler. Maybe it’s one of those things that once it’s tripped it stays that way until you reset the computer by killing power. Guess we shall see. Wouldn’t think the old senso would go bad sitting on a shelf if it was good when pulled but I dunno

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a new cam position sensor at NAPA, couldn't find the one I thought was in the garage. Must've tossed it at one time or another. Aside from that, there isn't much to the cam sensor. Housing with a magnet in it, and a two-pin connector. What can go wrong with that?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Maybe something came loose just enough to trip the code, and like lil_blue_ford said it will not go away until reset.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
organizing things for the engine swap.
gotta make the right one look like the how left used to.

the hardest part will be finding all the small stuff that I've been buying for the last few years
2022-05-09 18.28.01.jpg

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe something came loose just enough to trip the code, and like lil_blue_ford said it will not go away until reset.
Maybe. We'll see. I pulled the negative terminal yesterday morning. May have time to meander down there today and see what happens when I hook it back up.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I moved mine out of the driveway so the dump truck could dump two yards of top soil in the driveway.

Once I get this top soil spread out... grass seed planted and my garden finished... I think I'll be ready to get busy on the G-Unit.

20220510_184512.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals