• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I must say that the advice given here has been impeccable. I have learned a lot, but as long as I am questing for other parts, I will continue to search for a LS. A new old Ranger arrived at the U-
20211120_145923rangers2.jpg
Pull today. I'm driving out there in a few hours. I'm going with another Ranger owner. The quest is part of the fun.

Isk Stark

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
5"
Tire Size

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I’ve watched people with brand new 80k and up trucks beating the heck out of them, smashing bedsides and tailgates and all. Often it’s a “contractor” doing it. I’ve said something to a few people like that over the years and the answer is usually along the lines of “hey, it’s just a work truck.”
That says a lot about the contractor and his overall mentality. When I ran my electrical contracting business. I kept my truck decent. Not pristine. But in a condition that said "This guy takes care of his stuff". That truck had my business name on the side of it. That projected an image. I wanted people to think I'm a decent guy, neat, clean-cut, organized and ready to do business. I cared about the quality of my work and hoped that my truck would show that.

I had to get on an employee one day. He was riding with me and he threw an apple core out the window. That burned me up. He said "It's just an apple core. It'll rot and decay away in a few weeks." I told him that's not the point. People behind us just saw my company truck throw litter in the ditch. They don't know what it was. They only know that my company just littered. That's not who I am. That's not how I do business.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
That says a lot about the contractor and his overall mentality. When I ran my electrical contracting business. I kept my truck decent. Not pristine. But in a condition that said "This guy takes care of his stuff". That truck had my business name on the side of it. That projected an image. I wanted people to think I'm a decent guy, neat, clean-cut, organized and ready to do business. I cared about the quality of my work and hoped that my truck would show that.

I had to get on an employee one day. He was riding with me and he threw an apple core out the window. That burned me up. He said "It's just an apple core. It'll rot and decay away in a few weeks." I told him that's not the point. People behind us just saw my company truck throw litter in the ditch. They don't know what it was. They only know that my company just littered. That's not who I am. That's not how I do business.
This. So much!

Although I’ll never understand how I always tried to take as best care of my trucks as possible and do the best job possible but these idiots smashing up their “work” trucks always seemed to have more work than me.

When I worked for my dad doing concrete construction years ago, several times employees would climb up on the side of the dump truck and step on the paint to do it. That usually incurred a good scolding and if they were dumb enough to say something along the lines of “well, it’s just a work truck” there was a sudden nuclear blast level explosion. Most employees never made that mistake again.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I find that people treat me different when I bring my almost pristine old Ranger in for repairs. The ones who care treat it much better. I'm the customer they want to have.

You might enjoy watching SarahnTuned who is busy restoring her Grandmother's old Ford Ranger. It's become something of a family heirloom. It's always been well maintained, but she explains she has OCD and kicks it up a notch.
I’ll have to check that out. I have a bit of OCD, but usually try to keep a bit of a lid on it. If I had a garage with a lift though, it would be game on.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I try to take care of my stuff but I don’t freak if they get a scratch either. If it looks like something that might rust, I’ll give it some touch up paint. You use something to do work, wear and tear and occasional accidental damage is going to happen.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i just made a great score on facebutt market place. a dude with a single cab ranger is selling his side steps for 20 bucks. they look like they were hardly used (his truck is a 2011). hopefully a 2011 single cab and a 2004 single cab use the same mounting points because all the online sites show them being able to fit.

since its an on road truck anyways, might as well get some nice little bolt ons for it

Angry Possum

No Fat Chicks, Truck Will Scrape
Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
My New rear Taillights are cometh today.
Ill pop them on in a few days.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Ok. Problem 1: no mounting brackets. He had a shop remove these and install the new ones but the shop lost/tossed the brackets.

Problem 2: where do the back parts mount? The front is easy but no idea for the back mounts.

Problem 3:. Possibly not going to fit as his truck was extended cab

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Those step bars typically mount under the body mounts.

The bars from a super cab won't fit a standard cab.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Most of those custom seat covers are air bag compatible. If so, they will say so. Here's one such dealer. https://www.shearcomfort.com/Seat-Options/6011/54/2003/0 There are others, of course.

I lucked out. My seats were badly stained but not too worn. I vacuumed and used the compressed air hose to remove caked in dust, then washed them down with about a half a dozen passes of rubbing alcohol on a sponge.
Thank you! mine have a six inch tear right along the seam on the driver's door entrance side so it definitely needs more than a cleaning.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Well, I found some bolts and big washers that would allow me to mount the steps.

And for sure, these are steps from an extended cab truck so if anyone within driving range wants these for their extended cab, just let me know and I can meet to give them to you.

And if you can wait till a good weekend, I can meet in San Antonio or somewhere farther to give them to you

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
This. So much!

Although I’ll never understand how I always tried to take as best care of my trucks as possible and do the best job possible but these idiots smashing up their “work” trucks always seemed to have more work than me.

When I worked for my dad doing concrete construction years ago, several times employees would climb up on the side of the dump truck and step on the paint to do it. That usually incurred a good scolding and if they were dumb enough to say something along the lines of “well, it’s just a work truck” there was a sudden nuclear blast level explosion. Most employees never made that mistake again.
Clean trucks show that employees take pride in their work

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
Clean trucks show that employees take pride in their work
My Dad always said if they have time to clean truck, he didn't give them enough work to do.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals