• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coleman Liquid Fuel

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Went to a swap meet today, bunch of Coleman stuff lurking around.

This lol guy was there to work!

20220306_091442.jpg

I found this thing that looks like it takes fuel of some kind and used a mantle.

Found this guy for cheap. Won't have to worry about scratching it. Only thing I dragged home. there was very little Ford stuff there.

Last edited:

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This one wouldn't pump so I smeared a little 5W-20 on the leather piston cup. Builds great pressure. Grabbed some new mantles at Shopko for $4 and gave it a try.

So I am 2 for 2, I didn't even change the fuel and am into both of them $4 and a dab of oil.

Researching how to operate it online it sounds like a lot of people collect this stuff. Anybody else find this stuff amusing?
Motor oil will get it to pump up, but it will break down the leather cup. The manual for the one I have mentioned using a machine lubricant or jack (hydraulic) fluid. You can still buy replacement pumps. The Coleman cups are nitrile or some similar material. There is an aftermarket brand that sells them with leather cups, but they are expensive. You should also take the pump out and inspect the cylinder for rust. If the cylinder is rusted you can remove the rust with the small brake cylinder hones and flush it out to remove the gunk in there. A good floor jack oil has rust and corrosion inhibitors and works really well with the newer nitrile/rubber cups.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Went to a swap meet today, bunch of Coleman stuff lurking around.

This lol guy was there to work!

View attachment 73201

I found this thing that looks like it takes fuel of some kind and used a mantle.

Found this guy for cheap. Won't have to worry about scratching it. Only thing I dragged home. there was very little Ford stuff there.

That $150 thing looks like a headlamp for a car or carriage.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I have a thing for old advertising... I can't afford signs... so I've collected a bunch of tins... gun oil cans... tire repair kits and the like for years.

A really nice old Coleman branded fuel can has always been on my list. I've seen some pretty cool ones on ebay... never been willing to pay the price. Can't say I've ever just walked up on one out scrounging.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Motor oil will get it to pump up, but it will break down the leather cup. The manual for the one I have mentioned using a machine lubricant or jack (hydraulic) fluid. You can still buy replacement pumps. The Coleman cups are nitrile or some similar material. There is an aftermarket brand that sells them with leather cups, but they are expensive. You should also take the pump out and inspect the cylinder for rust. If the cylinder is rusted you can remove the rust with the small brake cylinder hones and flush it out to remove the gunk in there. A good floor jack oil has rust and corrosion inhibitors and works really well with the newer nitrile/rubber cups.
Neetsfoot oil works great for rejuvenating the leather cups.

You can buy replacement leather cups from Coleman and aftermarket.

It is like 18"+/- in diameter. Compare to the steering wheels around it.

The frame is kinda weak for its bulk too, I think it is some sort of spotlight.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
Could be a spotlight off one of those old firetrucks. Seem to recall seeing something like it elsewhere.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It reminds me of stage lighting.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Neetsfoot oil works great for rejuvenating the leather cups.

You can buy replacement leather cups from Coleman and aftermarket.
You can used any type of oil that doesn't have additives that break down the leather, but I already had the jack oil in the garage and it inhibit rust, plus it inhibits rust and corrosion. The leather cups in mine were deteriorated because I used 3-in-one oil, which also wasn't very good at inhibiting rust. Likewise, I think using ATF in place of jack oil destoryed the leather cups in my Sears floorjack. In the process of rebuilding the Sears floorjack is where I came across information regarding using the correct hydraulic fluids in it and I've also seen the mention of using jack oil on some of the forums where people mentioned restoring gas stoves and lanterns.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have been using 3-in-1 oil with no issues but I have no long term data on how it's affected mine. About half of my Coleman gear has pump cups that are at least 40 years old... I figure I have nothing to lose there, the cups are a wear item and if I lose an old one here and there that's OK. My two lanterns from the 40's had cups in them that were very dry but they work fine now, I would be curious to know how old those are. Would be funny if they were the originals!

eBay has a 10 pack for $31 shipped, heck of a deal for those of us who have a bunch of Coleman gear.

I have been meaning to buy some neetsfoot oil... I have some mink oil, I bet that would work too although it's more of a paste.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can used any type of oil that doesn't have additives that break down the leather, but I already had the jack oil in the garage and it inhibit rust, plus it inhibits rust and corrosion. The leather cups in mine were deteriorated because I used 3-in-one oil, which also wasn't very good at inhibiting rust. Likewise, I think using ATF in place of jack oil destoryed the leather cups in my Sears floorjack. In the process of rebuilding the Sears floorjack is where I came across information regarding using the correct hydraulic fluids in it and I've also seen the mention of using jack oil on some of the forums where people mentioned restoring gas stoves and lanterns.
Neatsfoot oil is common for saddle and horse tack so I went with that.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have been using 3-in-1 oil with no issues but I have no long term data on how it's affected mine. About half of my Coleman gear has pump cups that are at least 40 years old... I figure I have nothing to lose there, the cups are a wear item and if I lose an old one here and there that's OK. My two lanterns from the 40's had cups in them that were very dry but they work fine now, I would be curious to know how old those are. Would be funny if they were the originals!

eBay has a 10 pack for $31 shipped, heck of a deal for those of us who have a bunch of Coleman gear.

I have been meaning to buy some neetsfoot oil... I have some mink oil, I bet that would work too although it's more of a paste.
You must use your gear regularly. The leather cups also appear to break down if they aren't used. I didn't use mine for about five years and that is when I had to replace them. At any rate, it's a cheap fix and the new cups will probably last decades.

I didn't think about using neetsfoot oil, but I also don't have any real use for it.

Also, I think 3-in1 has changed over the years. I think it was a much better lubricant in the past. It appears to evaporate away in hot weather now.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I installed a new floodlight bracket on my truck.

20220322_165304.jpg

20220322_165226.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I could not pass this up for a buck. It smells terrible, by the way.

View attachment 74570
White gas smells better.

On the other hand when I snagged mine I discovered what cologne all the old guys wore at church when I was a kid.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals