• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I bought a High Rider...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I've always assumed that God's caliber of choice is .45 ACP.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The future is in Wifi. Wait, that's already a thing - right?
I get 1 bar from the house wifi in my garage which is just enough to do exactly nothing.

It is just enough to keep me from automatically going on data but it just sits there and spins trying to do something.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I get 1 bar from the house wifi in my garage which is just enough to do exactly nothing.

It is just enough to keep me from automatically going on data but it just sits there and spins trying to do something.
My house wifi doesn't work outside my house, and I get one bar of 4G on my phone if I stand next to the shop door or a window. Middle of the shop is a dead zone.

So therein lies the problem: I needed something better. So about a year ago I installed an outdoor wifi access point that was supposed to be super bad ass and would work up to a mile. As it turns out, it only penetrates a few feet further into the shop than a 4G connection does... so now I can stream but only around the south wall.

One cat 5 run will be for a wifi router, a second will be for a wired device if ever need it, and the other two are for POE security cameras. I could use run #2 for a third camera inside the shop too - useful for burglars maybe but I'm not sure I want my shenanigans on camera all the time.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
My house wifi doesn't work outside my house, and I get one bar of 4G on my phone if I stand next to the shop door or a window. Middle of the shop is a dead zone.

So therein lies the problem: I needed something better. So about a year ago I installed an outdoor wifi access point that was supposed to be super bad ass and would work up to a mile. As it turns out, it only penetrates a few feet further into the shop than a 4G connection does... so now I can stream but only around the south wall.

One cat 5 run will be for a wifi router, a second will be for a wired device if ever need it, and the other two are for POE security cameras. I could use run #2 for a third camera inside the shop too - useful for burglars maybe but I'm not sure I want my shenanigans on camera all the time.
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do :)

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Any type of signal going through some type of media (wire, air, glass) will need some sort amplification after a certain distance.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
Any type of signal going through some type of media (wire, air, glass) will need some sort amplification after a certain distance.
try telling that to the wife! ;missingteeth;

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
A lot closer to being back on the truck project... finished up the last major part of the gas install last weekend. I ran 20' of pipe under my porch and tapped into my side of the meter, added a couple shutoffs, etc. Also ran my Cat5 cables into the house and got them tied into the patch panel and set up a wifi router in the shop. That's probably my favorite part so far, now I don't have to stand near a door or window to get coverage.

Just need to run a thermostat wire, install the heater vent stack, hook up a power cord and connect the gas to the heater now and I'll be done.

KIMG0784.JPG

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Heater is in and functional, boy does it work good. Now that I'm done with that project, back on to bigger and better things.

I bought back one of my old pickup box trailers, scrapped the box, and dropped my stepside box onto the trailer frame. Started sanding it and doing some body work. I haven't worked with fiberglass before so I'm getting a real crash course here... lots of little factory defects that need to be addressed. I am using some Bondo Glass filler to fix these. It appears that RDI (the bed builder) missed a few spots where the fiberglass mat didn't get pushed down into the mold all the way and so the outer layer of resin was thin and cracked, and now I've got these holes to deal with in a few spots. There are a lot of little bubbles and stuff all over too...will be tedious.

I'm trying to do as much sanding outside as possible, makes a huge mess in the shop. I also picked up a little 3" Cornwell DA sander that I think will be really handy for all the hard to reach spots on this thing.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Fiberglass work is fun!

Sweet trailer.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Fiberglass work is fun!

Sweet trailer.
Yeah it'll be a lot sweeter when the box is back where it belongs and I can scrap the frame! Works pretty good for moving the box around the shop though, that was my intent. I had it sitting on a janky ass wood cart that I made out of pallets... was afraid of it falling apart and ruining the box so thus my current plan of attack.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Had great weather over Thanksgiving weekend so I took advantage and did a bunch of sanding outside. I did most of this with the new 3" DA. I think it's the ticket for fiberglass, the 6" is kinda hard to control around all these curves and stuff and it's easy to dig into one area while you're lightly sanding another. I probably have a full day total into this and I still have under the bed rails to strip... plus a few other spots... I may try to rig up a soda blaster. Or hand sand and not worry about getting all of it.

Also got a chance to play with resin and fiberglass mat. I've got a few minor cracks to repair/rebuild, there is definitely a learning curve!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Looks good! I've used bondo glass quite a bit and it's great, aside from all the pin holes I always get with it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yep! I got a small can of short strand Bondo Glass and really like it so far. There were a bunch of spots where the tailgate chains rubbed, small holes, etc that I built back up using that stuff. Very easy to sand and form too.

I'm finally feeling like I have the upper hand on this project. Staring at the box in the corner of my shop all summer was such a drag. I was dreading what I'd find under all the awful paint and it's not that bad, as it turns out.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I also got some old pics of this truck before I got it from my buddy - this was right after he bought it in Georgia. So pre wreck, before his paint job. I think this was paint job #2.

It had kind of a cool light blue pin stripe down the side. Hard to see in the pics.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I did end up using a soda blaster on a bunch of paint that I was struggling with. Harbor Freight sells a little spot blaster gun and it works pretty well with baking soda. It makes a hell of a mess, I used up 10 four pound boxes but it was a real time saver.

Next on my list before I did anything else was the tail lights and mounting brackets. The original brackets were pretty basic and because of how they mount to the bed, they wiggle and the driver's side cracked the fiberglass. In addition, the nut plate thing they used was terrible - a piece of aluminum with nuts taped to it. This will obviously not do so I had to improve on it.

First I built some new nut plates. These will not allow the nuts to spin when bolts are being tightened... they slip up inside the channel behind where the bracket is.

Then this is what I came up with for the light brackets. Two pieces of 2" angle and a flat piece to mount the tail light on. It will utilize the original holes plus one more on the buttom so that it can't wiggle.

Now that I've got these mocked up, I can go back to sanding.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals