• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ocala, FL

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I'm looking at a job prospect in Ocala, FL. Does anyone have anything to say, good, bad or otherwise, about the area? I live in North Dakota presently, next to a city of about 55,000. I like that there's not a lot of people around outside of that, but there's also not much to do as it's mostly private farmland. But my wife and I are getting tired of the winters, and there's not a whole lot holding us down to this place. I didn't grow up here. My wife did, but she's kind of a black sheep anyway. We have vacationed in FL a few times and really liked it there, but obviously never have lived there.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
It's hot and humid. That's all there is to say about that. :ROFLMAO:

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
It’s like that here in the summer time, but I understand it’s probably not as consistent as down there. That said, I’ve never walked outside and not been able to breathe from the heat and humidity. The heat doesn’t hurt either. I was snow blowing earlier this winter and the wind was blowing it back in my face, and then I noticed my handlebar warmers quit working and my hands slowly lost their function, replacing it with pain that felt like someone was standing on my fingers. And I thought ‘why am I doing this? They must have engineers in warmer climates.’

My Mom ended up with cancer and died about a year ago after being retired for about a year. It got me rethinking my plan to work hard and put up with the misery because the money is good, so I can retire.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
He's right - in the summer. I lived in Ocala. 2901 SW 41st St to be exact while I searched for my RV. You do NOT want to be there in the summer if you expect to be outside most of the time. You know how people spend their winters inside up north? People spend their summers inside down here. Instead of heat, you use the A/C.

Most days you can cut humidity with a knife. You'll wake up to a drenching fog, the sun will come out and you'll gasp for breath until it burns off. 75% of the people that move to FL leave in the second year because of the heat. Also be prepared to take a financial hit when you start transferring your vehicles and registering them in FL. You'll pay sales tax on the then value of the automobile and a use tax to cover the roads. Insurance will offset that some what but you better know how to drive. FL is no fault state nd most people carry minimum liability. There can be as much a 7% sales tax on everything except food and the hospitality tax will eat you alive until you've been here 6 months so it pays to establish residency early. It's a funny thing. You have to commit to save money but you need some seat time before you commit. Catch 22.

All that said, you can't beat the fall and spring weather here. Winters can have their rough days. I've spend winters here now and have endured 26* nights. The 30's is not uncommon. Frankly, you couldn't ask for better weather outside of the times already noted.

My parents live here so I was availed a lot of information before I decided to relocate here and call it my domicile. My best advice to you is to make a list of all the things that will hurt you and help you. After that, your favorite search engine is your friend. I would research taxes utmost. Yes, FL does not have a personal income tax but you'd be amazed at what other taxes they have that you may have never paid or even thought of.

Consider places outside of Ocala. Ocala has become quite congested as the influx of migrants from other states has increased. It's also driven real estate prices ridiculously high as well as other day-to-day living expenses.

I guess that was a long way of saying do your research. I didn't mean to be so blunt about it but it's the only way you're going to make an informed decision.

If you take the plunge and relocate here, feel free to get in touch. I'll try to help where I'm able. Seriously, do the research.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
You might want to try vacationing in south Texas one winter too. We are like an inexpensive version of Florida. Lots of people come from up north and live here for 5-6 months a year. Lots of Canadians too.

But, same summer heat. Most people waste their lives indoors here. I grew up in socal so hot doesn't bother me and living in a city that is on the water helps because we have a cooling wind anytime it's warm out. For instance, the airport is inland and the summer temps are always 5 degrees higher than at my house.

Check corpus Christi and also any city in the Rio grande valley. A positive if you like the rhv is you can go and eat dinner in Mexico everyday if you want to. I liked to eat over there when we worked in the valley m-f.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I just talked to a guy who lives in that area last week. Random person at a concert. He remarked how nice everyone in the midwest is and how everyone in FL are a bunch of assholes. I thought it was OK when I went to Orlando for work but didn't venture out very far from the hotel.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I just talked to a guy who lives in that area last week. Random person at a concert. He remarked how nice everyone in the midwest is and how everyone in FL are a bunch of assholes. I thought it was OK when I went to Orlando for work but didn't venture out very far from the hotel.
I think that’s the Norwegian passive-aggressiveness. People are very non-confrontational and nice to others’ faces but then slam them behind their backs. I’m wired more for the German aggressive aggressiveness.

I’m kidding, but it’s sort of true. A friend of mine says the only reason people say the people are so great up here is there’s nothing else attractive about the place. I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side. I guess another nice thing up here is none of the bugs live long enough to get very big.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't forget that @Ranger850 guy is down there too...

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
@85_Ranger4x4, Do you REALLY want to drag me into this. Next thing you know we'll be debating over what the #9 weighs on the dark side of the moon. Plus I live in North Florida. We different. We're like south Georgia with sprinkles.

I like Ocala, fwiw.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
When I was at GM... they "best shore" outsourced a bunch of work to an outfit in Ocala, FL. I really think there is a problem with the water around there. Just drinking it makes you dumber. Because they couldn't seem to do anything right... ever.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
And so it begins :popcorn:

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
When I was at GM... they "best shore" outsourced a bunch of work to an outfit in Ocala, FL. I really think there is a problem with the water around there. Just drinking it makes you dumber. Because they couldn't seem to do anything right... ever.
Bring it. I’ll be a warm, happy idiot whose hands and joints still work without hurting.

ha! I resemble that comment.
My Wife’s family is heavily Norwegian immigrants, mine are mostly German immigrants and we give each other a lot of grief. I definitely don’t mean any offense.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
That "private Farm Land" is mostly thorough bred horses. From what I hear, lots of $$$ in horse farms down there. Silver Springs is near there too. That's a cool place to visit. Far from Disney and other tourist attractions, but still plenty to do. A lot of the city/towns have "Indian" names. Kissimmee is NOT "KISS a ME" but more like "K'Simmy" There is a City called Hialeah, ( Hi-uh-Lee_uh ) not to be confused with the Sport Jai alai ( Hi ah Lie ).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals