• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EGR Block off plate leaking

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i didn't even know they made block off plates. i always cut my own out of whatever was on the floor in the garage

There were a couple of years where they stopped using the EGR system, so they had factory EGR block off plates.

Hale Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If you don't pay attention, you will pay someone else
If you have an angle gringer, a multi-step drill bit and a EGR gasket from Autozone you can make one out of a 4x4 electrical junction box cover plate from Lowes.

See the block of plate I made in the picture.

Attachments

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Going back to the OP. How is it leaking exhaust if you have a block off plate? Do you still have all the EGR equipment in place, and you jsut stuck a piece of metal in between the intake manifold fitting and the manifold itself?

Hale Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Going back to the OP. How is it leaking exhaust if you have a block off plate? Do you still have all the EGR equipment in place, and you jsut stuck a piece of metal in between the intake manifold fitting and the manifold itself?
I am doing an EGR valve detete. This means the intake manifold where the EGR valve was needs to be closed or "blocked". On my 84 Ranger 2.8 one of the EGR return lines from the exhaust manifold rusted out and fell off. This leaves two open points in the EGR system, 1) the exhaust manifold and 2) the other end of the line that broke off. Sounds really good for a MAC truck. :) The parts to repair are no longer available, providing me the option of a dura spark conversion.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
None of this makes sense. The EGR valve connects to the EGR spacer and routes exhaust gas from the cylinder heads through the intake manifold, to the EGR spacer, back into the intake stream.

Thr AIR (air injection reaction) tubes go into the exhaust manifolds, and air goes from the AIR pump for a brief while, before the catalyst warms up to operating temperature. The replacement AIR pipes can still be found.

Neither of these systems failing are related to changing your ignition system to a duraspark setup.

Hale Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
None of this makes sense. The EGR valve connects to the EGR spacer and routes exhaust gas from the cylinder heads through the intake manifold, to the EGR spacer, back into the intake stream.

Thr AIR (air injection reaction) tubes go into the exhaust manifolds, and air goes from the AIR pump for a brief while, before the catalyst warms up to operating temperature. The replacement AIR pipes can still be found.

Neither of these systems failing are related to changing your ignition system to a duraspark setup.
Thanks for the excellent, very thoughtful reply. I have not been able to find a source for the "AIR pipes" that you referred to, which at this point would not be an option for me.

The fix that many of your Ranger brothers find useful is to delete the smog system in total which requires an ignition system equal to that on a '65 Mustang.

That is what a dura spark conversion does. Hopefully this helps make sense of what I posted.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sure, if you go to auto zone and ask for an EGR pipe, they’re not going to be able to supply the AIR injection tubes. ‘65 mustang would have had points, but the 2.8 didn’t come along until ‘74. Duraspark is a last ditch effort to get things running when too many items in the EEC-IV system have been removed/damaged. It’s by no means an upgrade.

Attachments

Hale Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Sure, if you go to auto zone and ask for an EGR pipe, they’re not going to be able to supply the AIR injection tubes. ‘65 mustang would have had points, but the 2.8 didn’t come along until ‘74. Duraspark is a last ditch effort to get things running when too many items in the EEC-IV system have been removed/damaged. It’s by no means an upgrade.
Thanks for your prompt reply. You are correct the 65 Mustang would have had points. My second car, a 65 Mustang 289 automatic coupe did have a distributor with points.

Your knowledge makes me think you might be a Ford factory trained technician. That is meant as a compliment. Me I am just a shade tree recovered caraholic. :)

I was diagnosed as a caraholic by my wife in January 1988 when I was about to make my 29th car purchase and had been driving for only 20 years.

Hale Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I want to compliment you on the excellent picture of a 2.8 on an engine stand with a view of the AIR pipes you can't possibly see when the engine is in the truck. The Ford inventory labels are excellent proof that the AIR pipes are available. I am now aware of my erroneous statement that they are not available.

Hale Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
This is the block off plate I made from a 4" x 4" junction box cover from Home Depot.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals