• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1993 3.0 4x4 Power steering Pump and bracket removal???

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am trying to remove my power steering pump. So far the lower bolt stud combo that holds the bracket yo the block was rusted round so I had to cut it off. Not much room. Also tried to remove the pump from the bracket while still installed. Two lower bolt heads snapped off. I think I have all of the bolts out for the bracket but it still won’t budge. Does the idler bolt which requires an Allen wrench help to hold the bracket on?
Thanks,

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

3.0L Engines

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Rotate the tensioner, and remove the belt from the power steering pump pulley.
  3. Remove the pump pulley.
  4. Disconnect the power steering pressure hose. Remove and discard the seal.
  5. Disconnect the power steering return hose.
  6. Disconnect the power steering return line hose.
  7. Remove the bolts and the power steering pump.

Power steering pump pulley installation-3.0L engine

Power steering pump pulley installation-3.0L engine

WARNING
    Replacement of the power steering pump pulley is necessary after being removed and installed two times.

8. Inspect the pulley for paint marks in the web area near the hub. If there are two paint marks, discard the pulley. If there is no paint mark or one paint mark, use a paint pencil to mark the web area of the pulley near the hub.
  9. Using the special tool, remove the power steering pump pulley.
  10. To install, reverse the removal procedure. Using the special tool, install the power steering pump pulley. Torque the mounting bolts to 30-45 ft. lbs. (41-61 Nm), and pressure line to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
  11. Using the special tool, install a new seal on the power steering pressure hose.
  12. Fill and leak test the system.

Seal installation

Seal installation
Looks like they want you to remove the pulley on the vehicle before removing the pump. That takes a special tool. You can rent one at the parts store or buy one from Harbor Freight. I will attach a picture of the mounting system.

Attachments

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the “special tool” and I removed the pulley. That is how I accessed the three mounting bolts which allowed me to twist two of the heads off. The under head portion of the bolt appears to be corroded fast. So I decided to remove the bracket so I can dislodge them pump. Due to the two corroded bolts, the pump won’t release from the bracket. So I removed the long bolt on the right side of the bracket that is perpendicular to the front of the engine. I removed two bolts on the side, one which was the stud/bolt combo that also mounted the fuel lines bracket. All that and the bracket won’t budge either. Hence my question, does the bolt in the center of the idler that runs thru the right side of the pump bracket help fasten it.

Those generic notes in the instructions that say “remove bolts” are useless. A little more detail would ad value to the price of the manual.
Thanks, Doug

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Hence my question, does the bolt in the center of the idler that runs thru the right side of the pump bracket help fasten it.
If I am interpreting the diagram I attached correctly, that would be a yes?

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In pictures, this is my situation.

Thanks,
Doug

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm not positive... But I don't think the tensioner bolt is a through bolt. It should be easy enough to just remove it...

I think you have to remove the pump from the bracket before you can access all the bracket bolts... there is probably one bolt behind the pump.

I don't see where you've used any penetrating oil to help free things up. I would soak the broken pump to bracket bolts really good... maybe even a little heat with a propane torch. Then do a bit of persuading on those pump bolts with a punch and hammer. With the pulley and those three pump bolts out or broken... that pump will move out of the bracket once you get past the oxidation that has it seized together.

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
PB Blaster and brute force overcame the corrosion where the busted bolt shank was corroded together with the P/S pump bracket. All good. Also eliminated my a/c compressor and used a w/o a/c stock belt.

Thanks,

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals