• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 Ford ranger 2.9L lurching issue

StoneCold86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, new to the forum here! Having an issue and could use a little help. Truck starts and idles fine. Runs fine for a bit but once it is warmed up if I accelerate hard it lurches and stutters a bit. Then it slowly gets a little worse until eventually it won’t accelerate and will stall. Wait a few mins, fires up and runs fine for a bit until it does it again. Have recently spent a good amount of time replacing:
MAP sensor, PCV valve, spark plugs, distributor, EGR valve, TFI module, EGR sensor, high pressure fuel pump and filter. Runs a bit smoother but didn’t fix the issue. Got a code 33 on OBD1. Checked voltage on TPS. Got 5v on first wire, second wire just under 1v, then responsive with opening throttle all the way up to 4.5v when fully open. Leads me to believe it’s not that. Any other suggestions? Or anyone else had this issue?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Unplug the vacuum line to the EGR valve and see if the problem goes away. If it does, it looks like the code 33 needs to be looked into a little more closely.

StoneCold86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Unplug the vacuum line to the EGR valve and see if the problem goes away. If it does, it looks like the code 33 needs to be looked into a little more closely.
Tried that, still getting the same issue. Once it warms up, lurches and stutters while accelerating. But if I’m parked in idle engine will rev fine

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Tried that, still getting the same issue. Once it warms up, lurches and stutters while accelerating. But if I’m parked in idle engine will rev fine
Mine did this for a while. I pulled the EGR valve off and found the EGR passage completly blocked, i had to take a head bolt from an old briggs and stratton i had laying around and literally hammer it through the carbon block....after dubious amounts of TB cleaner.

I ended up replacing the valve and pressure sensor (little black box by the egr with a hose running to it) also.

Code 33 is EGR not opening or insufficent flow dectected or something along those lines. Unplugging the vac hose will gurantee the EGR doesnt open.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals