• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone recommend a High Temp goop to help seal Y-Pipe / Cat juncture?

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Ok thanks everyone for all the input.
I jumped the gun before I got response here and totally immersed the juncture in Permatex 2000 degree putty. I believe it’s silicone based which possibly allows a little subtle flex, MAYBE avoiding cracks right away. I could be wrong about it being silicone. Anyways, I let it sit for 48 hrs instead of 24, and did a test sending lightly compressed air up the tailpipe and found I had missed a couple small spots. Basically 33% of the whole perimeter of the gasket had some leaks before adding this goop, then after the first round it had maybe 5%-10% leakage of perimeter. So I added more to those spots and will let it sit for as long as I can again, maybe another 48 hrs, and will do another air test. From what I have gleaned, the issue isn’t weather it will hold up to air pressure but instead it’s about temperature causing deterioration. The layers I created are super thick so we’ll see how that goes.
I’m not expecting this to work perfectly but it could very well be an improvement that performs better than just leaving it as is. If I’m lucky it’ll last until the spring or summer when I can more comfortably attempt to do a proper repair. As for that, i like that idea of chopping the Y pipe just prior to the cat, taking it to a friend who welds (got a buddy), and having them create a new real flange based on old one, then creating a juncture to attach that to Y pipe cut point. I guess a clamp situation could work there? Would be concerned about expansion and heat and what not.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
>catalytic converter
>silicone

ngmi.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
>catalytic converter
>silicone

ngmi.
I could be wrong. Doesn’t spec silicone anywhere in product info I found. But it does say on package that it’s meant for Cats, and for 2000 F. Whatever that means, who knows! We’ll find out soon!

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Also am wondering if there is such a thing as a high temp flexible sheet, like similar to basic aluminum foil in function but a different metal and a lot more robust obviously, that could perhaps be wrapped around the segment to enclose it and then sealed on all edges with a couple sturdy layers of high temp exhaust tape. I'd be concerned about it filling up like a balloon while driving but if the exhaust pressure isn't super high then it might work. Maybe i'll ask NASA haha, they probably have a solution!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
+1 on the rtv red or copper. If you look beyond the local big box parts stores there's some cool specialty stuff out there. Body shop supply stores usually have cool stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals