• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 Ecoboost Swap, 1990 Ranger

Munts77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Hello All,
I have been a long time reader/user of the forum and have decided to start my first thread with a 2.3 Ecoboost Swap into a 1990 Ranger. This is not my first major engine swap in a RBV, about 8 years ago I did a 2.3T swap into a 84 Bronco 2 and used it as a daily driver.

So to start with some basics, the project truck is a 1990 Ranger base model, 2wd 2.3 5 speed short box, manual steering. purchased it for $300 non running, had a bad timing belt and something wrong with the oil pump.

The Donor car is a wrecked 2016 Mustang Premium with a 2.3 Ecoboost and a 6 speed manual transmission with 23k

The goal with this is to build a sleeper/hot rod, have it look like a basic grampa truck on the outside but capable of turning 11s in the 1/4 mile.

I started the project with taking everything out of the ranger I didn't need: Engine,trans, wiring, driveshaft, exhaust, air box, etc. Then I switched over to stripping down the mustang. I bought the complete car for about the price of the 2.3 EB crate engine, the plan is to part out the car and recoup my money. Additionally I got a 6 speed MT-82 trans and a bunch of extra Misc parts to potentially use.

Both engines and trans sitting next to each other,

I have a bunch more photos and info to post but I figured this was a good jumping off point. As I type this the engine is currently bolted into the ranger and working on all the little things. I will also be posting videos on Youtube if you also want to follow along there. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFMyXuE5gqTsn-klTrseRBg

I will try to post some more later this week.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
The hpfp is the key issue.

The difference between the sla and ttb chassis tends to make the workarounds More difficult in a 2wd as body lift will be undesirable for most. If memory is mere foggy..the ttb will have a forward gain of an inch

Should allow for firewall mods and slight blend door mod to retain the HVAC.

In a 4x4 application with sas. It is a cake swap.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Awesome. Can't wait to see progress on this one

What are you going to do about the shifter location? The factory mt-82 one is a bit far back. I have an mgw shifters one on my mt-82 and it puts it a little further forward. There's also another company that makes one that bolts directly on but I can't recall the name

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'll say this... it's the perfect "sleeper".

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Honda CT90 sitting in front.

"Well Services" truck outside.

This is a man of refined taste.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I saw the bike... and the well truck.

Did ya see he stole a Dollar General shopping basket too?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

I did not. As soon as I see old Hondas and oilfield stuff, I get all excited.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

What are you going to do about the shifter location? The factory mt-82 one is a bit far back. I have an mgw shifters one on my mt-82 and it puts it a little further forward. There's also another company that makes one that bolts directly on but I can't recall the name

Moving the engine forward 3 inches to fit the hpfp negates that. It's already stupid light for the power so there's some give.

Of course running into oil pan mods with these if a high and critical expense to farm out.

Be interesting 🤔... If he is a well services guy....just no telling what will go down ....but it's going down. .and up .....and out....and in . .

Munts77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
The hpfp is the key issue.

The difference between the sla and ttb chassis tends to make the workarounds More difficult in a 2wd as body lift will be undesirable for most. If memory is mere foggy..the ttb will have a forward gain of an inch

Should allow for firewall mods and slight blend door mod to retain the HVAC.

In a 4x4 application with sas. It is a cake swap.

You are right, the hpfp is an issue. I was able to get away with a minor modification to the rain gutter in front of the windshield and minor mod to the heater box which could be eliminated with modifying the water outlet. tis truck is not A/C which helps alot. i did also have to modify the oil pan but i had access to a decent shop at a time dso it didn't cost me anything.

I am using a custom mgw shifter that moves it forward from the stock location.

Honda CT90 sitting in front.

"Well Services" truck outside.

This is a man of refined taste.

lol, have a few trail bikes, the well service truck is a parts rig for another project. it has a 7.3 idi and 5 speed trans.

Stealing is a harsh word, I like to call it a long term loan... my Dad borrows them and takes them back to the store.

Munts77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
The next step on this project was to load both engines in the back of the truck and haul them to my work so that I can take measurements using a CMM, then I can import in to CAD and design the engine and transmission mounts.

I decided to weight the engines before I started, the Ecoboost with transmission with no oil in engine was 500 lbs the Lima engine/transmission with no oil, no alternator was 480

Next I moved on to the measurements, I measured the crank centerline, engine mount locations and transmission mount location on both engines, also measure oil pan and bell housing locations on the EB.

Next was measurements on the truck. I measured points in the engine bay: motor mounts, cross member, firewall, and radiator mounts.

After collecting the data, I imported it into CAD and overlaid the EB engine on top of the Lima engine. locating based on crank center line and front of crankshaft. The Eb engine is within an inch vertical and forward/ backward of the Lima engine location. The goal was to minimize firewall modifications. at this point I started to design the engine mounts and transmission crossmember. The engine mounts bolt to the EB engine and utilize the Lima isolators, the crossmember utilizes the factory cradle mounts on the outside of the frame rail.

A local fab shop lazer cut and formed the parts and I welded them up. these are the engine mounts and crossmember I designed.

I will post later about the oil pan modifications and the struggle to get it to fit in the truck.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Oooooh. Me likey.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The next step on this project was to load both engines in the back of the truck and haul them to my work so that I can take measurements using a CMM, then I can import in to CAD and design the engine and transmission mounts.

View attachment 69875

I decided to weight the engines before I started, the Ecoboost with transmission with no oil in engine was 500 lbs the Lima engine/transmission with no oil, no alternator was 480

View attachment 69876View attachment 69877

View attachment 69879View attachment 69880

Next I moved on to the measurements, I measured the crank centerline, engine mount locations and transmission mount location on both engines, also measure oil pan and bell housing locations on the EB.

View attachment 69881View attachment 69882

Next was measurements on the truck. I measured points in the engine bay: motor mounts, cross member, firewall, and radiator mounts.

View attachment 69883View attachment 69884

After collecting the data, I imported it into CAD and overlaid the EB engine on top of the Lima engine. locating based on crank center line and front of crankshaft. The Eb engine is within an inch vertical and forward/ backward of the Lima engine location. The goal was to minimize firewall modifications. at this point I started to design the engine mounts and transmission crossmember. The engine mounts bolt to the EB engine and utilize the Lima isolators, the crossmember utilizes the factory cradle mounts on the outside of the frame rail.

View attachment 69885

A local fab shop lazer cut and formed the parts and I welded them up. these are the engine mounts and crossmember I designed.

View attachment 69886View attachment 69887
View attachment 69888

I will post later about the oil pan modifications and the struggle to get it to fit in the truck.
Bruh.

You gotta make moar of those.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
The oil pan is sketchy in terms of reliable modifications. Looking through the balance shaft options and ranger dress I am still in the air with it

This is in regards to the m5odr1 dressed for 4x4.

And incorporating a bridge mount with a front wheel drive block which requires plumbing changes

. My application is a 4x4 b2 with an sas. No fear of a Body lift, so firewall modification likely can be eliminated with some placement compromise from ideal.

Once blocked in place ...I probably wouldn't pull a tape to build mounts ...

So your process is some NASA level DARPA winning work.

The spatial relationships your coming up with is some hero level data...

Thank you for sharing this work

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
@Munts77 can you get close up shots of the motor mount holes on the EB engine? with a ruler?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals