• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ford Bronco II Can't get Fuel

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 1987 Bronco II that was sitting for close to ten years. I replaced in tank pump, high pressure pump, fuel filter above high pressure pump, fuel pressure regulator, and bypassed the inertia switch. I cannot get fuel pressure. What can y'all recommend?? I'm close to just sending it to the local mechanic but I'd really rather save money and fix it on my own. Any suggestions at all?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Is the intank pump pumping?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Check to make sure you don’t have any blown fuses and check the fuel pump relay under the hood. Make sure both pumps kick on for the priming cycle when you turn the key on. Check to make sure you’re getting 12v at the pumps if it’s not cycling. It is possible to get a bad pump out of the box too. It is a pain to do all of the testing, I’ve been down this road before.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ive had multple vehicles with bad conections at the high pressure pump. Check to make sure that the spade connectors arent loose.
They are inside a rubber boot right on the pump.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
johndough,

First, does it have correct pressure on the fuel rail? If yes, does it maintain pressure overnight?

Since you have all those new pieces, hopefully tested, prior to installation and you have bypassed the inertia switch, is it an auto or manual transmission. Check the clutch position sensor on a manual or the neutral sensing sensor with an automatic.

The clutch position sensor can be bypassed to troubleshoot, I suspect the same can be accomplished with the neutral sensor.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
johndough,

First, does it have correct pressure on the fuel rail? If yes, does it maintain pressure overnight?

Since you have all those new pieces, hopefully tested, prior to installation and you have bypassed the inertia switch, is it an auto or manual transmission. Check the clutch position sensor on a manual or the neutral sensing sensor with an automatic.

The clutch position sensor can be bypassed to troubleshoot, I suspect the same can be accomplished with the neutral sensor.
The safety switches shouldnt keep it from obtaining fuel pressure.

If both pumps are running, nothings clogged, kinked or massivily leaking, there is no reason you shouldnt have pressure at the rail.

Im assuming you have actually checked for fuel pressure at the rail valve with a gauge right? Not just battleing a no start and assuming its fuel?

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
johndough,

0 psi pressure at fuel rail. and it’s a manual transmission. how do i check the clutch position sensor?

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
The safety switches shouldnt keep it from obtaining fuel pressure.

If both pumps are running, nothings clogged, kinked or massivily leaking, there is no reason you shouldnt have pressure at the rail.

Im assuming you have actually checked for fuel pressure at the rail valve with a gauge right? Not just battleing a no start and assuming its fuel?
yes your right. i’ve checked with a gauge at the fuel rail valve. 0psi.

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Ive had multple vehicles with bad conections at the high pressure pump. Check to make sure that the spade connectors arent loose.
They are inside a rubber boot right on the pump.
those are all good, appreciate it though man.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
yes your right. i’ve checked with a gauge at the fuel rail valve. 0psi.
Follow the fuel line from the tank up the driverside frame rail, youll see a little black canister looking thing. Pull the line off that run back to the tank and turn the key on, see if fuel pumps out.

Some even had a filter in the canister, that could also be plugged

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Follow the fuel line from the tank up the driverside frame rail, youll see a little black canister looking thing. Pull the line off that run back to the tank and turn the key on, see if fuel pumps out.

Forgot about that. Yeah, my 88 has one of those between the fuel tank and the high pressure pump and the ”normal” fuel filter up between the high pressure pump and the engine.

if both pumps are kicking on and you have 0 psi at the rail, there’s either a major leak, major blockage, or a pump is failing to pump. If the pumps are not kicking on, you either have a bad pump or a wiring fault. I’ve always started with checking to see if I have 12v at the pump after verifying the fuses are good and swapping the fuel pump relay with a spare I keep on hand. Sometimes I jump the inertia switch. If there’s not 12v at the pumps at that point, there’s probably a bad fuseable link or broken wire somewhere.

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic

will do. i’ve tried messing with that canister and i could never get the cap off of it, any tips on how to get the cap off?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
will do. i’ve tried messing with that canister and i could never get the cap off of it, any tips on how to get the cap off?
Pull it off the frame and a big pair of channel locks....or oil filter wrench if its not to hard to get apart. Be careful with it though.

The cap just spins off kinda like a oil filter

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
actually now that i’m thinking about it, that shouldn’t be my problem. i bypassed that canister so that can’t be part of my problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals