• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gasifier?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Worked on a guys house years back that had a gassified square Dakota he drove from Washington to Florida and a full size chevy pickup that was gassified. Super cool stuff.
I just read about this the other day. they were going to go across the usa but covid bs messed them up so they went to florida instead.

this gasifier stuff looks like what i need for when the power goes out after a hurricane or a snow storm. run my generator on it to power the house, rv, and shed

build-it

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I just read about this the other day. they were going to go across the usa but covid bs messed them up so they went to florida instead.

this gasifier stuff looks like what i need for when the power goes out after a hurricane or a snow storm. run my generator on it to power the house, rv, and shed
I know the boy that did the cross country on wood. We are both on the site, driveonwood.com

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
that's awesome. i was on there and reading but i have a hard time picturing how to do that stuff. i did see a youtube video that helped a lot. i just need to collect everything and read more on how it works. if i can learn how it works and understand that part, than i can do the other stuff really easily

build-it

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
that's awesome. i was on there and reading but i have a hard time picturing how to do that stuff. i did see a youtube video that helped a lot. i just need to collect everything and read more on how it works. if i can learn how it works and understand that part, than i can do the other stuff really easily
I get nothing out of it, but it is worth every penny to become a member of that site. You get a detailed book, and access to all the premium forums to ask questions. We have helped a lot of guys get it right the first time.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Dude I'm talking about who drove across the states was like 50, 10 years ago lol.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I was always thinking about building one of these to run my generator in the event of a long term power outage and gas shortage. It would probably be easier to have a stationary one vs. one that is on a moving vehicle. I may take a look into joining that site.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I seem to remember a site called Power for Patriots promoting something like this using a shallow well pump tank. The above posted web site appears to be more promising than what they had/have to offer.

build-it

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I was always thinking about building one of these to run my generator in the event of a long term power outage and gas shortage. It would probably be easier to have a stationary one vs. one that is on a moving vehicle. I may take a look into joining that site.
There is a lot of info on there for stationary units also.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Daaaamn that's an idea right there.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you are thinking stationary then think Solar Power, sun coming up is pretty reliable, and it also goes down, lol, pretty reliably

The portability of liquid or gas fuels is their advantage, but also their downside, you need "fuel" and energy to make liquid/gas fuels
And all that "fuel" comes from bio-waste which came from the sun
So skip the middle man, lol

Outside of geothermal energy, all of our "power" came from the sun in some form, plants and critters from a million years ago or whats growing now

Problem with any DIY fuel is the materials to make it(bio-waste) and the length of time the refined fuel can be stored(a problem with any liquid fuel or gas)

Gasification is best with very dry bio-waste, so storing it in a dry location is best for as long as possible which requires space, and then only converting it as needed, to a refined product
It is a good idea, but like anything DIY it has benefits and drawbacks

There are no free lunches, lol, but you don't always have to pay full price either :)

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
other than not really having lots of trees around where i live, i see that as having the best back up i can have for hurricanes and weird texas freeze blackouts because of stupid wind generators they put up all over around here. crap looks like socal now. anyways, just the lack of wood would be my problem but i can buy bags of those little bbq pellets and store them in the garage.

and since my generator runs on propane, it should run on this really easily. i don't use the petroleum side of my generator.

just need to pay to see the stuff on that site

build-it

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
other than not really having lots of trees around where i live, i see that as having the best back up i can have for hurricanes and weird texas freeze blackouts because of stupid wind generators they put up all over around here. crap looks like socal now. anyways, just the lack of wood would be my problem but i can buy bags of those little bbq pellets and store them in the garage.

and since my generator runs on propane, it should run on this really easily. i don't use the petroleum side of my generator.

just need to pay to see the stuff on that site
You can go on the site to read and ask questions free. As far as wood use your imagination, wood scraps from building sites, or cabinet shops.

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
mountain men tv show. eustace had an old toyota or nissan pick-up that ran on a gassifier

build-it

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
mountain men tv show. eustace had an old toyota or nissan pick-up that ran on a gassifier
That was kind of a joke on our site, that would have never worked. Only on TV

MISWFL

Reaction score
Has anyone looked into the Federal and State legalities of doing this? I've been thinking of building a setup for just incase portable fuel sources become hard to get because of .gov activities and crazy high prices. Have the unit hidden inside a fake camper shell and tow a small trailer with your wood supply.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals