• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got pulled over for not using my turn signal

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I got pulled over riding my bicycle by a county sheriff. My "crime" was leaving the bike lane to avoid tree branches and other obstacles that would have caused a crash - all the while looking at my rear-view mirror to make sure I was not going to get hit from behind. Sheriff must have been back aways as if cars were close I'd try to bunny hop over whatever was in my path. He said the road was for cars and the bike lanes were for "you people". I got off with a warning and a pamphlet to read to "educate" me on the law. Damn pamphlet says what I was doing was legal - wish I would have noticed that before he drove off.
Each may be different but here in PA, bicycles are considered vehicles and are expected to follow the rules of the road. One really shouldn’t riding on the sidewalks and one could get ticketed for that. However, try telling that to someone responsible for children that the children they are responsible for have to ride in traffic. I bet that wouldn’t go well...

Of course, bicycles have been around a lot longer than cars. So, PA laws may reflect that as well.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It's clearly a classic case of Ranger envy.....

-Jazzer

splashbusters

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
In my case I didn't have a front license plate. The office was coming the other direction and turned around to pull me over. Picked me out of the middle of 3 cars. I would guess that he may have known that at first and then forgot why he pulled me over and just gave me a speeding ticket instead. Either way it seems to be a violation of my 8th amendment rights. "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.” $300 for 2 mph seems to be excessive, plus if I remember that should be within the tolerance of a trained officer's (not as if he has experience but has official training in recognizing the speeds of vehicles) estimation of speed which I believe is +/- 5 mph

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Well. There is generally a littany of reasons to pull my vehicles over at any time...

It's always fun to guess where it starts.
We've been pulled over at the same time in Kentucky. LOL.

The Deputy said he wanted to make sure I was OK. WTF??

This stop would have made more sense late at night when cops are looking for drunks.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought Texans drank all the time?!

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
Be nice to the officers, their just trying to make new friends.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wish they’d stop people in my area who don't signal, drives me nuts. I was stopped for a seatbelt but was told my exhaust was too loud, I know thats bullshit because when I rolled by him (he had another car stopped at the time) I had let off the gas & pushed the clutch in. “revenue generators “ thats all they are ( no disrespect Jim ).
Yeah. And people whose brake lights don't work. That one scares me sometimes. And there are a lot here like that. I'm anal about my brake lights. I back my vehicles into garages, so I check them every time I park them and before pulling out. Every bulb on the outside of my Ranger has been changed at least once, some more than that. But at least I do it.

Cops around here don't pull people over for much of anything. It's a catch 22 though. I appreciate not getting pulled over for no license lights on my two motorcycles, and my three "cages" that don't have a single reflector or side marker light on them (LOL). Or for not stopping me for loud exhaust or tinted windows, and even my Mustang and Lightning which have a light tint on the windshields. But there are a lot of rolling wrecks here. Windshields with so many cracks, you wonder how they can see out of them. Missing lights, bumpers, fenders, and even windshields. Bald tires. And peeps driving around with paper tags on their vehicles that are so old, the numbers are no longer even there. You have 30 days here to exchange that paper tag for a license plate. Most don't even do it in three or four years. When you buy a used vehicle here, the original owner keeps the plate and you have three days to get a new one.

And don't get me started about I-240 in Oklahoma City. I was on it one day on my Suzuki M109R. I was doing 90 and being passed by just about everyone else. Speed limit is 70. I sped up to about 100 and gave up after that, and got the frak off that road. Must have been a bunch of Cylons out driving that day.

Last edited:

splashbusters

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
:LOL:I'm loving the comments on this post

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My village and the surrounding towns/villages do not have any police departments. Best we get it the state troops in who’s barracks are about 1/2hr away. Trooper drives by about once a month

County is so big I’ve never seen the sherif.

Suites me just fine....

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:LOL:I'm loving the comments on this post
Sometimes, you just know by the name of the thread, you're going to have to cover up your keyboard.

I've been on Zero Hedge nearing 13 years. Sometimes the name of the article will tell you you'll need to cover up your keyboard before reading the comments. A lot here lately with all the damn rona articles. Most on ZH are anti-vaxxers, including me.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well. There is generally a littany of reasons to pull my vehicles over at any time...

It's always fun to guess where it starts.
Mine too. Tinted license plate covers. Smoked, headlights, taillights, signals and side markers. Heavily tinted windows. Loud exhausts. Etc. But the cops around here don't seem to care. Maybe they just don't want to mess with it since everyone here carries guns and knives. Me included. ;-)

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
It always starts with not signaling your lane changes... it's anybody's guess what type of criminal activity is next.
The definition of a police state is a government that has so many laws that at any given time you are doing something illegal.
I have a pair of rain barrels at the back of my house connected to a cheap Harbor Freight pump that I use for washing my vehicles. However if I used it for anything that would result in rainwater going down the drain, such as running a hose through my basement window to the washing machine, that would be illegal so of course we don't do that.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals