• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Distributor problem with my 2.8

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Oh that's right. I think that's why I was a little confused about what that guy told me. Hard for gears to slip a tooth unless they spin on the shaft or are just worn out.
The center of the cam gear is steel or cast, the teeth are nylon. I have been talking to people, they say they have also had the roll pin the the distributor gear partially shear causing something like this also.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do a compression test. If the valve lash is not adjusted correctly there will be a loss of power. I fixed a rebuilt 2.8L that would not start just by changing the head gaskets and doing the valve lash. The previous person did the valves as you would do a Chevy. I mark the Intake valves with white out so I know I am adjusting the intake to .014. If you go IntakeExhaust-IntakeExhaust-IntakeExhaust on both banks, you will do it incorrectly.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Got to work on it a little bit today. Went and bought a new cap and rotor. Installed it, no go. But I did get the engine to start doing the pull the wire off #4 trick.

Once I got it going and let it warm up and idle down, I went and got my timing light, as I mentioned I had turned the dist some and didn't know where I was at now. Shot the timing light onto the damper and it was way off. But when I moved the dist to line the marks I made up, it started slowing down and running rough. I am sure it would have stalled if I tried and line the proper marks back up (I had used white out to mark the damper a couple of years ago and could still see it).

So something with the timing is definitely off. I think I am going ahead and tearing the front of the engine down and have a look at the timing gear teeth.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got to work on it a little bit today. Went and bought a new cap and rotor. Installed it, no go. But I did get the engine to start doing the pull the wire off #4 trick.

Once I got it going and let it warm up and idle down, I went and got my timing light, as I mentioned I had turned the dist some and didn't know where I was at now. Shot the timing light onto the damper and it was way off. But when I moved the dist to line the marks I made up, it started slowing down and running rough. I am sure it would have stalled if I tried and line the proper marks back up (I had used white out to mark the damper a couple of years ago and could still see it).

So something with the timing is definitely off. I think I am going ahead and tearing the front of the engine down and have a look at the timing gear teeth.
Definitely sounds like you have skipped a tooth or something.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Well, I worked on it a little bit today. Somehow in my mind I was convinced it was the timing gears. I tore the front of the engine down and found out the gears have been replaced. It has a solid aluminum large gear and a small steel drive gear, which is what you get from the aftermarket replacements.

So that was a lot of work and wasted time, but I had a choice, pull the front down or pull the distributor. I guess the distributor is the only thing left. I should have doubted it from the start, it's a Cardone unit. But I can't condemn it till I pull it and figure out what's going on.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, I worked on it a little bit today. Somehow in my mind I was convinced it was the timing gears. I tore the front of the engine down and found out the gears have been replaced. It has a solid aluminum large gear and a small steel drive gear, which is what you get from the aftermarket replacements.

So that was a lot of work and wasted time, but I had a choice, pull the front down or pull the distributor. I guess the distributor is the only thing left. I should have doubted it from the start, it's a Cardone unit. But I can't condemn it till I pull it and figure out what's going on.
Need a new water pump? Great time while you're in that deep....

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> they say they have also had the roll pin the the distributor gear partially shear causing something like this also.

Never had it happen on any Ford I have owned, from 2.3 to 390s, but, I have heard it is a possibility. The most problems I have had with a Ford dist. is dropping the oil pump drive hex shaft into the oil pan on the FE series engines.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Need a new water pump? Great time while you're in that deep....
Did that when I first got it on the road. I have never seen a waterpump bearing so sloppy but the seal not leak. Since I am taking my time on this, I might clean everything up and give the engine a coat of grey paint.

I am having to wait awhile on the timing cover gasket set. The harmonic balancer surface looks good, so I wanted the set without the speedi-sleeve. Not very many places could even get it, but of course Amazon had it.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Update;

Finally got the gaskets and got the front of the engine put back together. Just to make sure I was back to square one, I cranked it over, nothing. Pulled #4 sparkplug wire off, tried to start. Move the dist a little bit, started. Let it run just a little bit with just a little coolant in it, put the wire back on, smoothed out. Turned it off, tried to crank it, nothing. So I was back where I was before.

So I turned my attention to the distributor. Pulled everything loose, pulled it out of there. I would like to shoot the guy who designed the intake to hang over the distributor hold down bolt so you can't get a long extension on it.

Distributor is slam wore out. Another Cardone mess. I have wasted more money on these Cardone distributors than I would care to admit. Time for a rebuild, but I can't find any parts. It needs a new bushing for the main shaft. I checked the old TFI 2.8 distributor, tight as a drum. Check an old 2.9 distributor I had gutted out, that is tight also, no play. So the first thing I thought I could do is carefully push the bushing out of the 2.9 dist and put it in my wore out dist. Shaft is different size!

I have been going round and round doing research. I am finding on the 5.0 mustang forums some of them are converting to carb and running the TFI dist with locked timing. I thought that broke all the rules, but some were doing it. My 2.8 TFI dist is in really good shape bushing wise, So I decided to try it. Stabbed it in place, hooked the TFI module up with 3 wires, put everything back together, and it fired right up. I adjusted the timing to about 25 BTDC and took it for a spin. Seems to have the same power as it did before. And I restarted it hot and it cranked right over.

So I am going to live with it for now, at least it's running. I hopefully have time now to do some more figuring as to a permanent solution. And at least now I know it was the other distributor causing the problem.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
8309_234183_01_web.jpg

You need this.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Well, the 2.8 rebuilt distributor supply has pretty much dried up. I bought my rebuilt single port vacuum advance unit from O Reilly's. They found where I bought it in 2017, and it had a lifetime warranty. They put in a request to Cardone to see if they had another one, they didn't. I then told them about the dual port unit and that I could use that if that would not be against their warranty rules. They were working with me to get another distributor, and did a request for the dual port. They are out of them also.

I looked at the 1974 Mustang II units, which are points. On O Reilly's site they already say the single port unit is a give them your unit and they rebuild it and send it back. They have a dual port points unit which does not say this, but these units are about $167.00. And then I would need to buy a pertronix unit to convert it from points, another $108.00.

Option B Use the TFI distributor with a electronic control box shown here. http://www.daytona-sensors.com/tcs-1--timing-control-system.html
That unit is $190. And then you need a ignition system to go along with it. They are hinting at using a MSD box, not sure if you could use a HEI module or not. So that's $190 + about $300 for a MSD box. I did find the electronic timing control on ebay for $160. With this option you would not have any vacuum advance, but there may be options for that also with a MAP sensor.

Option C Like option B but this programmable timing control has the ignition box with it. https://www.holley.com/products/ignition/ignition_boxes/street_and_strip/parts/6530 As you can see, this is a little over $500.

Option D I stumbled upon this. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dui-68722/make/ford I wonder if they can get it. It says they take an original Ford housing and rebuild it with a new bushing and other components. $265.00 Not bad but I wonder how many cores they have?

Option E. Get my calipers out and measure the bushing in the one I have and try to find or make one. And see if I can get the old one out. That is all it really needs is a new bushing and shims to set the end play of the shaft.

Last option Leave it like it is with the locked timing. I need to do some gas mileage checking. If it gets at least 20 mpg and I have no other problems crop up, why not leave it with the locked timing? It would be funny if it got better fuel mileage like this. I noticed it already seems to run a little cooler on the temp gauge.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Or ...

Megajolt.....

Mega squirt....

Best that 2.8 will ever run.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Used one? Car-part.com had a bunch listed when I looked earlier this year.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals