• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know what triggers the reverse lights on an m5od truck? Itd be sweet if i could get mine working because i cant see crap behind me in the dark with this topper and tiny ranger mirrors. Plus im already going to be messing with the tail light wiring when this weekend to put a 4 flat plug on it.
I added an auxiliary switched circuit for auxiliary backup lights. With a cap and tinted windows there just isn’t really enough light with the factory lights sometimes. At some point I will probably tap into the reverse light circuit and put a three way switch for the auxiliary, on with reverse, off, on

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Helped the girlfriend with getting the winter tires swapped over on her car and found the vibration she’s started complaining about, some control link on the rear passenger side has the bushing blown out. Of course the auto parts store only lists one for the drivers side. Going to have to do some searching I guess.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Finished up the roughing out the box for my behind the seat storage project. Next is finish work, carpeting the sides, and putting non-slip rubber matting on the tops. I'm hanging a stretchy cargo net across the back wall for jackets, gloves, poncho liner, etc. where the jack storage used to be. Wide enough to hide a long gun and valuables while on the road yet the seats still go all the way back and fully recline.

View attachment 68546

View attachment 68547
That's a great setup for the behind the seat storage issues...having rear seats in those trucks is 100% useless LOL. Having the access from those back doors is a huge plus too.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My new radio was delivered.

Xrundan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Cleaned EGR, MAF, and IAC. Truck still hesitates on acceleration. 😡

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Does anyone know what triggers the reverse lights on an m5od truck? Itd be sweet if i could get mine working because i cant see crap behind me in the dark with this topper and tiny ranger mirrors. Plus im already going to be messing with the tail light wiring when this weekend to put a 4 flat plug on it.
Before you go cutting into wires, look at this type of kit There's a cheaper one that pops up now and then and is what I got but I don't remember what model it was now... I've had similar on my '90 for over 20 years without issue and got one on the '97 over a year ago...

Yeah, the reverse switch is on the side of the transmission up by the shift tower, it's the only connector up around there, 2 pins if memory serves, the only other sensor on yours is on the transfer case output for the speedo speed sensor...

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Before you go cutting into wires, look at this type of kit There's a cheaper one that pops up now and then and is what I got but I don't remember what model it was now... I've had similar on my '90 for over 20 years without issue and got one on the '97 over a year ago...

Yeah, the reverse switch is on the side of the transmission up by the shift tower, it's the only connector up around there, 2 pins if memory serves, the only other sensor on yours is on the transfer case output for the speedo speed sensor...
Hell yeah, i didnt even know those adapters were a thing. Thanks for that! Also thanks, ill have to take a look at those wires.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Finished up the roughing out the box for my behind the seat storage project. Next is finish work, carpeting the sides, and putting non-slip rubber matting on the tops. I'm hanging a stretchy cargo net across the back wall for jackets, gloves, poncho liner, etc. where the jack storage used to be. Wide enough to hide a long gun and valuables while on the road yet the seats still go all the way back and fully recline.
One of these days I need to build a rear cab organizer. I'm thinking drawers on one side and a cubby on the other for the "get home packs" in order to better organize things back there and to make them "out of sight, out of mind" (if they can't see it, they won't want to steal it) for passers by.

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Cleaned EGR, MAF, and IAC. Truck still hesitates on acceleration. 😡
Maybe fuel filter, air filter, try some stp fuel injector cleaner, I used stp on my other ranger had 525 k miles orig motor its still going another guy has it now, get the small black plastic bottle, super concentrate with 3/4 tank or more of gas, it's like $3 at walmart

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
One of these days I need to build a rear cab organizer. I'm thinking drawers on one side and a cubby on the other for the "get home packs" in order to better organize things back there and to make them "out of sight, out of mind" (if they can't see it, they won't want to steal it) for passers by.
I'm just about done with mine. Still need to attach the rubber top surface mount and the relocated jack holder to the inside. I ran a test yesterday after arguing with my wife about top materials; she said carpet (pretty), I said non-skid matting (functional). I put a piece of temporary carpet on top, bought a 12-pak and turned a few corners hard, the beer slid all the way across the carpet like butter. One problem I see with drawers is the door sill is higher than the floor and a drawer would take up a good part of the storage room of the box just to make the bottom clear. I'm into cheap + simple and used wood and materials I already had on hand. I'm like you, out of sight, out of mind. Full width cargo net goes up on the rear wall tomorrow to cover the old jack storage.

Last edited:

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Waiting on my trailer harness adapter thing to show up but got my reverse lights working. Looks like all the wiring had been hacked to shit by the taillights from multiple trailer wiring attempts so i just cut it all out to a clean point i was comfortable with and soldered, shrink wrapped, and loomed in all new correctly colored wire. Also ran a weatherpack connector for the third brake light on the topper and some bed lighting.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Drove mine to work & back today, wanted to park it with a full tank of fuel so needed to do that before “salt season” happens. Ive put 200 miles on it in the last month, all within old place & new place (4 miles) most of them with a trailer attached, usually the flatbed but I did use the box trailer a couple of times with the ranger and the ranger trailer made a trip or few behind the truck. Wish the garage was organized enough to park it under roof, but its a mess and all 3 trailers are loaded with stuff, only trailer not getting unloaded is the ranger trailer. It has the side racks on and is filled with seasoned maple, just gonna tarp it and call it good for winter. Was nice to have the ranger out again, feels a lot more powerful not towing something. Has a weird oil smell when starting though, like old chevies with bad valve seals. never known a 2.3 to do that, and this head has been changed out, only about 4 years and 20K miles since that happened. So for now its resting but ready if needed, after a month of moving its earned a break- though I hate to let it sit but the crap they insist on coating the roads with is worse, let the hhr take that abusive corrosion.

Xrundan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Maybe fuel filter, air filter, try some stp fuel injector cleaner, I used stp on my other ranger had 525 k miles orig motor its still going another guy has it now, get the small black plastic bottle, super concentrate with 3/4 tank or more of gas, it's like $3 at walmart
Brand new air and fuel filters. The fuel system cleaner is my next attempt. Sometimes it stumbles and feels like it wants to die right after startup. I thought about even replacing the fuel pump. Sounds like it works way too hard when priming.

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
The original discussion has disappeared. IDK.

We need some positive news. What did you do to your Ranger taday?
put 50 miles on the 91 and just bought a 1st gen ranger that im picking up friday

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Might see about messing with something a little today. Still can only do bits at a time. Yesterday I pulled out a Packout set and fabricated a mount to attach a socket set on top. I picked up a Craftsman set for $100 on sale at Ace Hardware recently. Didn’t exactly need it, but it’s in a box with drawers, supposed to fit with Craftsman’s version of a Packout. I pulled out some scrap pieces of plywood and attached some Packout feet that I picked up awhile back, then fastened the box on top. Doesn’t latch on because I don’t have a latch, but that’s ok. Turned it sideways so the drawers open to the side and it fits so nice that I can still clip the half sized Packout boxes on the other side, have to get some pictures. Figure it should work well for junkyard shopping

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals