• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DIY alignment vs. shop alignment

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
Mandates are for fascist dictators!
Recently replaced driver's side upper control arm (Motorcraft), inner and outer tie rods(Motorcraft inner and Moog outer). Replaced the passenger side upper control arm about 6 months ago, the lower ball joints (both Motorcraft) but not the control arm bushings 3 months ago, and switched the end links and sway bar bushings to the Energy Suspension Polyurethane about a month ago. Driver's side upper control arm ball joint was loose and floppy. Inner tie rods were loose and sloppy. Outer tie rods I was going to reuse but replaced them since they felt rough and on their way to sloppy. Front tires have noticeable cupping on the inside edge but tread is not worn enough overall to call them shot. Driveability varies from "hands off the wheel straight tracking with nothing concerning at speeds up to 80" to "I'm sure something is wrong cause it sounds like the tires are grinding along to an early grave" Looking at the truck from the front the camber is noticeable with top of tire closer to the truck than the bottom of the tire (negative camber?) Toe seems about right but a cursory measurement showed a slight toe out (positive toe?). Haven't parked it on a perfectly level surface though as I don't own a garage, park on a off camber gravel bill at home, and park on a muddy driveway at work. However, there is a new pole barn with a perfect slab on the property which I plan on using to take some more accurate (hopefully) measurements and try and correct any misalignments that could lead to sloppy driving, noisy tires, and/or premature tread wear. Or.......I could just take it to an appointment I made for an alignment this coming Tuesday. Last alignment was only 90 bucks (not that I have enough money to use the word "only") but might not be considered money well spent if I can do it myself reasonably well. I have installed every part I listed and like doing my own work as well as saving the money to blow on gas ("Let's go Brandon!") or anything other than a shop invoice that's majority labor cost. But, I'm not afraid to pay someone to do a job properly that I have neither the tools or experience to realistically succeed at. Definitely had a hard time making sense of this printout I got at my last alignment. Understand toe, camber, caster but not the difference by +/- whatever the degrees as it would affect each aspect of my trucks handling. Hard to have a frame of reference to interpret the printout but I would like to. Love reading about the minutiae though when I can gain a bit of practical knowledge at the same time.
Anyone have a strong opinion either way on home alignment vs shop?
IMG_20211112_173535.jpg

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have a strong opinion to use a shop, one that you like and trust. Tires are expensive and fuel is getting expensive. Both will last longer if you get a good alignment. Make sure you get another printout after you are done, everything should be green on the actual like your report above. You really can't get it dead on like a machine can.

P.S. If your tires have some weird wear on them, you might want to swap the rear ones onto the front before you take it in. Leave the others on the rear and let them wear more evenly back there. You can have weird tire wear that will make it pull to one side or the other.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
DIY alingments cannot even compare to a shop. String and a measuring tape are ballpark at best. Plus alignments arnt usually to expensive assuming you can find a shop that doesnt wanna rebuild the whole front end first

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
I have a strong opinion to use a shop, one that you like and trust. Tires are expensive and fuel is getting expensive. Both will last longer if you get a good alignment. Make sure you get another printout after you are done, everything should be green on the actual like your report above. You really can't get it dead on like a machine can.

P.S. If your tires have some weird wear on them, you might want to swap the rear ones onto the front before you take it in. Leave the others on the rear and let them wear more evenly back there. You can have weird tire wear that will make it pull to one side or the other.
Good advice! I was just about to rotate the tires to see what kind of effect that has on noise and handling. I'll keep my alignment appointment too and the peace of mind that it was done right instead of being unsure or actually not getting it right and driving myself nuts.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do it yourself then take it in. See how well you do....

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My buddy who is an uber perfectionist did that on his 02 silverado 2500. The alingment shop literally said if someone alingned this before you should get your money back.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
When I put the lift on my 93 (TTB), I followed the instructions in the tech library here. Took ot to a shop and they told me it was well within spec. They did some minor fine tuning. But that was all. I adjust it myself when I feel like something is off. If I do major work, I'll have it checked again.

My F150 is an SLA setup. I haven't figured that one out. So it goes to the shop.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Get it done by a shop, request that everything be set to preferred and request a printout. Alignments are really cheap compared to tires.

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
I'm gonna take it in as is and see what they say. If I don't need any adjustments the charge will be minimaI and I can spend my time on other projects like building a new sleeping platform and insulating my canopy. I rotated the tires today and cleaned a ton of mud from under the truck since I doubt they would even accept it in their shop caked with mud. Been doing irrigation removal from our fields and trucking loads up a wet, rutted, and increasingly muddy path/road that leads to our pole barn. Got it nice and dirty:) My buddy called it a "redneck paint job".
IMG_20211102_124813~2.jpg

Attachments

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
When I put the lift on my 93 (TTB), I followed the instructions in the tech library here. Took ot to a shop and they told me it was well within spec. They did some minor fine tuning. But that was all. I adjust it myself when I feel like something is off. If I do major work, I'll have it checked again.

My F150 is an SLA setup. I haven't figured that one out. So it goes to the shop.
DIY alingments cannot even compare to a shop. String and a measuring tape are ballpark at best. Plus alignments arnt usually to expensive assuming you can find a shop that doesnt wanna rebuild the whole front end first
I was probably using the string wrong or the wrong kind of string but I always got annoyed by the stretch factor. When fractions of an.inch is the difference between in spec and out of spec it's easy to see why the alignment shop is a wise choice.

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
What about using one of these nifty laser levels? I imagine you could park the vehicle on a level surface and aim it at specific points on the tire or wheels and then use those points to find the angles that are necessary to make appropriate adjustments. Probably a step up from string at least?
Screenshot_20211113-184127.png

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Those need to be mounted true to the wheels, all 4. Then you need a target for them to shine on, and the target needs to be scaled in degrees for the various measurements like centerline, toe and caster. There is a lot of geometry going on in this procedure. You really can only hope to do the toe adjustment with a string.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
I'm gonna take it in as is and see what they say. If I don't need any adjustments the charge will be minimaI and I can spend my time on other projects like building a new sleeping platform and insulating my canopy. I rotated the tires today and cleaned a ton of mud from under the truck since I doubt they would even accept it in their shop caked with mud. Been doing irrigation removal from our fields and trucking loads up a wet, rutted, and increasingly muddy path/road that leads to our pole barn. Got it nice and dirty:) My buddy called it a "redneck paint job". View attachment 68226
Thanks for showing enough respect for the tech that you washed off the mud, eating dirt while doing the job doesn't pay extra. We used to have people stop in for a "quick oil change" when they were sent home from work early because of the snow storm. It was too snowy and icy for them to work in their office but not too snowy for them to expect someone to work under their vehicle.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thanks for showing enough respect for the tech that you washed off the mud, eating dirt while doing the job doesn't pay extra. We used to have people stop in for a "quick oil change" when they were sent home from work early because of the snow storm. It was too snowy and icy for them to work in their office but not too snowy for them to expect someone to work under their vehicle.
Getting dripped on the whole time royally sucks.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals