• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 ranger lift kit with axle swap

Dlillie87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If I put a Dana 44 TTB and an 8.8 under my ranger, would lift kits for my truck still fit, or would I need to look into a custom job?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Rear should be fine. Front depends on exactly how you installed the D44. But I would expect any custom fab needed to be minimal. Also might depend on which lift kit you're talking about.

Dlillie87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Rear should be fine. Front depends on exactly how you installed the D44. But I would expect any custom fab needed to be minimal. Also might depend on which lift kit you're talking about.
My plan is to attach the dana44 to the original locations and cut the inner passenger axle 1.5-2 inches, based off of the write up on here that looks the easiest. And probably the 4in rough country with new front and rear springs. Hopefully very minimal customization will be needed

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
My plan is to attach the dana44 to the original locations and cut the inner passenger axle 1.5-2 inches, based off of the write up on here that looks the easiest. And probably the 4in rough country with new front and rear springs. Hopefully very minimal customization will be needed
Be aware that there is an issue with the Rough Country lift, if I recall correctly. I believe it presents an opportunity for one of the axle beam brackets to hit the differential. Check the tech library here.

Dlillie87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Be aware that there is an issue with the Rough Country lift, if I recall correctly. I believe it presents an opportunity for one of the axle beam brackets to hit the differential. Check the tech library here.
I think I remember seeing something about that from using drop brackets. I'll look more into it

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that, but a TTB Dana 35 has the same outer U joints as a Dana 44 TTB, the only real gain is wheel bearings which if you keep the tires in tight like they should be isn't a huge problem up to about 35" tires... Some people can't keep shafts in them but I've yet to break one, but I don't have torque, just horsepower...

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Stay away from that roughy country lift if you’re going to use any TTB other than the Dana 28. The rough country uses a drop plate to lower the stock axle pivot and the plate will smash a hole in your diff when you flex suspension. The skyjacker uses a new longer axle pivot avoiding that disaster.
52087934-43B6-45BA-AD8E-B4B315D8F72F.png

Image from TRS

Dlillie87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that, but a TTB Dana 35 has the same outer U joints as a Dana 44 TTB, the only real gain is wheel bearings which if you keep the tires in tight like they should be isn't a huge problem up to about 35" tires... Some people can't keep shafts in them but I've yet to break one, but I don't have torque, just horsepower...
I have the dana28 currently. Definitely swapping that out before I drop the V8 in

Skyjacker is definitely looking like a better option.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals