• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fixing cracked dash pad with fiberglass, 86 ranger

Dlillie87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just wanted to share my progress on this project so far. Like a lot from this era, my dash pad was dry rotted and cracking Everytime it was touched. I looked into the aftermarket plastic replicas, but the reviews werent good. Figured I'd give this a shot and it's going great! I'm covering my vent holes because I've gutted the entire HVAC system. This is also my first time doing any glass work.

This is what I started with, not in horrible shape, but would have just kept getting worse. The first thing I did was took a box cutter and opened the cracks up so that I could get Bondo down into them pretty good, then sanded everything smooth

Cleaned everything with denatured alcohol real well, I don't think acetone would be good for this. I also used epoxy resin, not the poly stuff typically used with fiberglass. The glass work I've been doing in stages with small pieces to get around all the curves. This same thing can be done and keep the original vent holes as long as you're careful not get too much resin where they sit into the dash

I have made more progress than this, but don't have more pictures at the moment. But I only have a little more glass to add the the vent holes to get them close to flush, then Ill sand everything, Bondo everything to fill any small holes, sand again, and paint back the original color. All in all this might cost me $100. I'll post more pictures Monday 🤙

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Thanks for sharing this, and I'm interested in how it turns out. Good on you, for taking a shot at fixing one of these old dashes.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Nice. Also curious to see the finished product! Most of the interior resto shops will put vinyl over them. Looks good but not quite OEM.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here's a good video on the subject.

Dlillie87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Here's a good video on the subject.

Good video. I was hesitant to use Bondo by itself since it has a tendency to crack, especially when it's applied thick. But I basically did what he did before the glass work. I like having the comfort of knowing my dash won't crack anymore, and I don't have to baby it

Dlillie87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Progress pictures. Got the vent holes filled in. Should just need a good sanding, a little Bondo to smooth it out, and paint. All in all I'm really happy with how it's turning out.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Very cool.

Although its obviously for a boat engine, one might get roasted for posting images with a Honda in it. :unsure:

Dlillie87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Primer coat. Turned out pretty good I think. Itll be the original blue when done

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
That is looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing it installed back into the truck.

Dlillie87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That is looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing it installed back into the truck.
It will be a while before it gets put back in. I'm pulling the body off frame and going over everything.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals