• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Are Almost Free Boats & PWCs Worth The Price?

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Surprised there’s no boat section.

I’ve always seen cheap 90’s PWCs on FB and CL. Most say that the hull is good but the engine is the problem… “ran last year,” “lost compression,” “electricals are shot,” etc.

Fiberglass is easy enough to inspect, but engines not so much. I’ve made some real scores on dirt bikes that just needed a new carb or something. What about outboards or PWCs? Any idea if engine parts are available for 30 year old PWCs? If the engine doesn’t run, does that mean it was stored with salt water in it and it’s shot? Impeller related headaches?

It sure is tempting to try to get a PWC for $500 when the going rate is a couple grand.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
No... no boat is worth it ever, no matter what the price.

A project boat just means that you’ll be spending lots of money and not be able to use it.
a brand new boat means that you’ll be spending lots of money and using it.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
BOAT

Bust Out Another Thousand.

Stay away from them. They're money pits.

rangerx4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
PWC engines are cheap and super simple. Boats are a money pit. I have had both and the PWC route is probably the lower risk route. Lots of Youtube videos on rebuilding a SeaDoo Rotax engine. Buddy just did both of his for about $200.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
Boater's two best days: the day he buys and the day he sells.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you know what you are doing and do your own work, buying a used PWC can be worth it. Me personally, I'm perfectly happy to stick with canoes and kayaks. I see way to many other people constantly working on their boats in order to get them running again or keep them running. Kinda reminds me of Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon or @PetroleumJunkie412 and his 2.9.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
If you know what you are doing and do your own work, buying a used PWC can be worth it. Me personally, I'm perfectly happy to stick with canoes and kayaks. I see way to many other people constantly working on their boats in order to get them running again or keep them running. Kinda reminds me of Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon or @PetroleumJunkie412 and his 2.9.
I used to have a Hobie 16 sail boat. All it had was a frame (easy to get spare parts for free), sails (easy to get for cheap), and hulls (not so easy). I picked up some hulls that needed work, and that’s how I decided not to touch anything that needs fiberglass work again. The rest was just rope and pulleys which is just a money pit in itself.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had a pwc. It always worked when I wanted it to.
However, I never used it, so I sold it.

Around here you can only run them in the river, not in any of the lakes. So I ended up taking the canoe out most of the time because it was easier.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I don't know about PWC, but I know boats can require paperwork / titles, and usually anything going cheap or free around me does not have it. The last thing I would want is to pick up something that was stolen, and then have to deal with that headache.

But if you had something that was complete with paperwork, and had the room to store it, I could see a smaller bass boat (14-18 foot) being worth it if you are really into fishing.

Larger boats, like for saltwater, PASS.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looked at a cheap one a few years ago. Inboard/outboard which was scary enough on its own. "ran great last year" A kid just got it and his uncle was cutting him off on free storage and he had to dump it.

Had a Volvo I6 that had water in the oil and the engine wouldn't turn over. Basically NO hope of finding a different engine.

"so uh, did you winterize it last fall?"

"what is that?"

"yeah I think I am gonna pass..."

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
How about old 80’s - 90’s PWCs? Are they as fun as the new boats? Are the hull shapes designed well? I knew a fiberglass fella 10 years ago. His opinion was that seadoo hulls were the best, but their engines were delicate. I think it was kawasaki he said had the most bulletproof engines, but their hulls were bound to flip you a few times. I’m assuming the old hulls were more or less designed to float better in one direction than the other and can’t do all the cool carving the new ones can

rangerx4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How about old 80’s - 90’s PWCs? Are they as fun as the new boats? Are the hull shapes designed well? I knew a fiberglass fella 10 years ago. His opinion was that seadoo hulls were the best, but their engines were delicate. I think it was kawasaki he said had the most bulletproof engines, but their hulls were bound to flip you a few times. I’m assuming the old hulls were more or less designed to float better in one direction than the other and can’t do all the cool carving the new ones can
I had a pair of 1989 SeaDoos. 580cc engines. If maintained they were great. I had a buddy somehow get the engine compartment flooded with water and had to rebuild it. Decided to do the other at the same time. Knocked both of them out in a weekend. Rebuild kits are available for as low as $120 online. Had them for 3 years before selling without another issue (aside from batteries).

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I got a whole bunch of free outboard motors years ago to fix up - was disappointed to find that they were all basically junk after spending hours tearing them down. Water in the cylinders, reed valves rusted off, stuff like that. That really turned me off to boats, even free ones... like you mentioned, the free ones are maybe not even a deal if you find out it's a disaster and have to pay to dispose of it. But if it comes with a trailer and you have a use for that, maybe it's a wash.

My buddy has a boat with an inboard 350. He forgot to winterize it and the block cracked. He put JB weld over the cracks and has been running it like that for years... stuff like that is what I expect to see on used boats.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals