• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Are these stock or am i just living in a hole...?

KasenLeigh90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
OK! I'm new here, and new to the ranger/ford scene. Usually a GM person, but I do have a soft spot for early '90's and older Ford Pickups, so please be a dick if you must, but lets not drag on shall we. This is my 1990 2.3L Lima. Has the 5spd, no 4wd. Are the steps on the side factory/an extra add on from manufacturer or whatever? They say "Lund" but they are also color matched perfectly to the rest of the truck. (I don't need new ones, these are both actually solid still after 31+ years, which is surprising for a Minnesota Truck {although this one has been pretty well taken care of} they can handle 200+ lbs with barely a *creak*) Its not often you see a early 90's Ranger on the road up here, in fact 98% of the ones you see are late 90's-00's models. Just curious of what the trim package of this truck is as well, because not all of this truck is original (OBVS). The badges aren't original and some are missing. The seats are aftermarket.
IMG_6946.JPG
The motor has been replaced, original owners never fixed the oil leaks and paid the price for it, second owner found a 90's fox-body that had the 2.3L in it with 76xxx at the time it was pulled. Obviously the bed bars are new, although I've now removed the lights on top, it has a 3" body lift (it wont for much longer) and in these pictures is sitting on oversized rim/tires (currently not on the truck). Anyway, for being as old as it is in this location (rust capital of the damn world it seems like) this thing is solid outside of the body rust. Frame has ONLY surface rust, I've been under this many times and it looks newer than half the '10's coming in to the shop lately. Its been my project truck for the last while, and while I've been doing my own research on it when I can, I want my finished build to look like it was put together by someone who's not a total asshat. ( Some of the pictures I've included are from the original listing of when I purchased this truck, others are not. ) Any info you all may know about it would be greatly appreciated, along with any cool suggestions for builds.

Attachments

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the wheels pictured are factory stock on later years, say about 2000+

KasenLeigh90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
the wheels pictured are factory stock on later years, say about 2000+
might (probably) have buried my question too deep in the thread, but more looking for the side steps on the cab. appreciate the reply though, i figured the wheels were just a newer swap, i do still have the center caps for them (previous owner gave me all the extras) but they’re terribly rattle canned black. haha

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
There was a time when the dealers would bolt on a bunch of add on stuff and put them out for sale. Most looked like they fell right out of the JC Whitney catalog. There also were many conversion companies back then that would up fit these trucks.

I do think it's safe to say that the steps were probably not from the factory. More so a dealer or owner installed piece. I know Ford did have a roll bar in their accessory catalog. It wasn't much of a roll bar and was bolted together. If yours is a solid (no bolts) it is most likely not a Ford Motorsport piece.

We really don't see many of these in the rust belt... take good care of it and enjoy.

Welcome to TRS...

Sharky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
LUND = aftermarket add on.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I'm really sure (99%) that those steps are not OEM. They may have been dealer add-ons. But not likely installed by Ford at the factory.

KasenLeigh90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There was a time when the dealers would bolt on a bunch of add on stuff and put them out for sale. Most looked like they fell right out of the JC Whitney catalog. There also were many conversion companies back then that would up fit these trucks.

I do think it's safe to say that the steps were probably not from the factory. More so a dealer or owner installed piece. I know Ford did have a roll bar in their accessory catalog. It wasn't much of a roll bar and was bolted together. If yours is a solid (no bolts) it is most likely not a Ford Motorsport piece.

We really don't see many of these in the rust belt... take good care of it and enjoy.

Welcome to TRS...
I figured that might be the case, cool to know it’s kind of rare even outside my area! This roll bar IS actually the bolted style too. I plan on new steel in all the sections that need it here in the near future, a fresh paint job, too. A friend of mine has a 92 S10 that’s in even better condition, another has and older yota mini as well. We’re kind of formed our own little mini truck group, definitely turn a lot of heads.
BEE28277-BB80-4EC3-B370-B8809D599B3A.jpeg

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't see the brush guard in the first set of pictures... Motorsport actually made one of those too.

You might do some research on the roll bar and brush guard and see if they are real deal Ford stuff. There are people restoring these things now days and True Ford accessories are kinda sought after.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Brush gaurd looks just like @85_Ranger4x4 's gaurd.
except with a generation gap... and lack of headlamp bars.

There is some information in the Tech Library that might help in solving the "are they real deal" question.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I agree that those are Lund steps. They were probably installed after the knobhead lifted it and found it hard to climb in, thank you for saying you're removing the body lift. People who don't live in road salt areas can't appreciate what it does to our vehicles.

KasenLeigh90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I didn't see the brush guard in the first set of pictures... Motorsport actually made one of those too.

You might do some research on the roll bar and brush guard and see if they are real deal Ford stuff. There are people restoring these things now days and True Ford accessories are kinda sought after.
Oh cool. I’ll definitely check it out.

KasenLeigh90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I agree that those are Lund steps. They were probably installed after the knobhead lifted it and found it hard to climb in, thank you for saying you're removing the body lift. People who don't live in road salt areas can't appreciate what it does to our vehicles.
Agreed. This is stored during the winter months normally but i still would rather it not be there. This things in good shape, 160k on the body, there’s 84k now on the motor, i’d rather keep it that way.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Look at the pictures though, he doesn't have the fender clearance to lower it back down.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals