• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Atlas Transfer Case

Finnegan

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone ever installed an Atlas Transfer case? They make a 2-speed Manual Transfer case and I would like to know if anyone is currently using them. And how they like it compared to the Borg Warner Transfer Case.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've had one under my Ranger some 12 years now... It's a beast of a case for a RBV, but has been trouble-free for the most part (so far the only thing I've had to do is reseal both yokes from leaking). It eliminating the stock 2.48:1 low gear makes for a lot more shifting between high & low ranges while on milder trails though.

Welcome to TRS.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Resurrection of this thread! I have been building an offroad B2 and I am at the point where I am happy with the suspension and gearing (duff stage 1, 4.56 gears, auto lockers front and rear), but I still need to go slower. I do live in the granite state, so rock crawling is a thing! I am thinking atlas. Any new thoughts? Install a PITA?

Shameless wheeling pic below:

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Install will be smooth, but have very long lead times right now. Two things I'd highly recommend - make sure you get one with a site tube and get a tailshaft brace for it. I got mine from TMR (though tbh it's sits uninstalled still). I have a 4.3 case in my buggy

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
An Atlast would be ideal in a Bronco II where you don't have room for a doubler. I know a bunch of people locally that have them and I've never heard anything but good feedback.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
What are your thoughts on gear ratios? I wheel a lot of rock gardens and granite boulders. I am thinking 5:1. I am currently on 33s with 4.56 gears (and the POS 2.9). I would like to be able to just about idle over basket ball sized boulders without stalling out all the time. I realize I will need some throttle for ledges and the like, but in NH we have miles of roads with medium sized rocks (8 to 14 inches high)

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
on 33s I'd go numerically lower personally. I have a 4.3 w/ 4.56s and 42s and I'd like to have a 5.0 case, but it's a lot more tire than your truck and a lot more engine. If I was you I'd get a 3.8 case so that you aren't so low that you cant spin a tire if you needed, assuming you're only looking at 2 speed cases

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
on 33s I'd go numerically lower personally. I have a 4.3 w/ 4.56s and 42s and I'd like to have a 5.0 case, but it's a lot more tire than your truck and a lot more engine. If I was you I'd get a 3.8 case so that you aren't so low that you cant spin a tire if you needed, assuming you're only looking at 2 speed cases
I am looking at 2 speeds, but I am not opposed to a 4. I wonder if I could fit a 4 in there? There are times I need to spin a tire in my Tacoma up here, that's true - but I am open/open on that rig. Being autolocked F/R in the B2 means less need for spinning, or ability to do so. Do you think I could idle over smaller boulders (basketball sized) with a 3.8? I am sick of constantly slipping the clutch in 1st gear. Also have to have some speed to keep things from stalling is hell in a short wheelbase. Its like being in a popcorn maker lol

Thanks for the input btw!

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Here is the type of terrain I wheel (combined with large occasional obstacles)

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I am looking at 2 speeds, but I am not opposed to a 4. I wonder if I could fit a 4 in there? There are times I need to spin a tire in my Tacoma up here, that's true - but I am open/open on that rig. Being autolocked F/R in the B2 means less need for spinning, or ability to do so. Do you think I could idle over smaller boulders (basketball sized) with a 3.8? I am sick of constantly slipping the clutch in 1st gear. Also have to have some speed to keep things from stalling is hell in a short wheelbase. Its like being in a popcorn maker lol

Thanks for the input btw!
I'd bet that a 4.3 case would be the sweet spot for you. A 5.0 case would be really really low. If my axle gearing was 5.13 I think I'd idle forward with my setup, I'm juuuuust a little too high to do that. But I also have to take it out of gear or it'll try and push through the brakes too sometimes depending on the terrain.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
I'd bet that a 4.3 case would be the sweet spot for you. A 5.0 case would be really really low. If my axle gearing was 5.13 I think I'd idle forward with my setup, I'm juuuuust a little too high to do that. But I also have to take it out of gear or it'll try and push through the brakes too sometimes depending on the terrain.

Rausch Creek is on my list of go to places. We are blessed up here with a bunch of unmaintained roads we can legally use. Even so, a bunch of guys I know head down to Rausch every year.

I calculated my final gear ratios:
Current = 42.6:1
at 4.3 = 73.9:1
at 5.0 = 85.9:1

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size

Insane truck BTW!

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Rausch Creek is on my list of go to places. We are blessed up here with a bunch of unmaintained roads we can legally use. Even so, a bunch of guys I know head down to Rausch every year.

I calculated my final gear ratios:
Current = 42.6:1
at 4.3 = 73.9:1
at 5.0 = 85.9:1
that 4.3 final ratio looks like a really nice balance of crawling in first, but still able to spin the tires in second if you need to

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
that 4.3 final ratio looks like a really nice balance of crawling in first, but still able to spin the tires in second if you need to
I am thinking about an Atlas 4 ($$$$ cha-ching). That would give me some more options:

Two gear options:

2.72:1, & 4.08:1

2.72:1 & 5.44:1

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I am thinking about an Atlas 4 ($$$$ cha-ching). That would give me some more options:

Two gear options:

2.72:1, & 4.08:1

2.72:1 & 5.44:1
The four speed cases are awesome, and I'd love to go that route if it was possible financially for me. I'd probably do axle gears before that, but since I don't street mine I don't need to worry about top end. From what I've read the lead times on the four speed cases are even longer, but they do seem to be accurate with what they're quoting to people. I'd rather deal with a place that tells me a long lead time and beats it than one that keeps pushing it out and making excuses personally...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals