• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Realistic expectations at 100 yards with a .22lr?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I took the scope off and put down a .75" group at 50 yards... scope sucks... To the trash with you!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That's the problem I'm having with my 10/22 at the moment. At 50 yards, I can easily put every shot within an inch but at 100 yards it opens up to like a foot. I don't understand it. I have another scope I'm gonna try - the first one was just a 3x9 so I figured I'd put a 4x50 on it... but I get the heat wave mirage effect like crazy if I zoom in. I know it's something simple. Really I need more time to just go play with it.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I literally found this scope in a box in a dead guys garage. There is no brand on it just says 4x20. It's reeeeeally cheap. I'm not spending money on good scope for this gun though so I'll either find something used and moderately priced, or just leave it with open sights and stop trying to shoot it at 100 yards...

There's just only so much you can do with an old cheap stock gun, questionable ammo, and a rickity scope...

John97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Nissan Titan XD
Engine Size
5.6 Endurance V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265-60-20
My 10/22 mag will hold a little tighter groups at a hundred.

I saw a .410 over/under the other day... I almost bought it for my new rabbit gun. I just couldn't get past the price of ammo. I'm holding out on a double 20.
I didn't know Ruger ever made a 10/22 in .22 mag :dunno: .22 mag was on my list before I got my .17wsm but there didn't seem to be alot of guns I liked in that. If I had known Ruger made a 10/22 I might have gotten that over my savage.
They use to... I haven't looked in many years. I have 3 Ruger carbines... 10/22... 10/22 mag and a tube feed 44 mag. They are all nearly identical.

I really want to put Hogue stocks on all of them. I don't like the grip of the Ruger stocks... but I sure do love the guns.
I was told by a gunsmith that they stopped making the 10/22 mag version because parts kept breaking. I would still love to have one. My little 10/22 is one of my favorite guns. It's an older model so it still has the metal trigger group instead of the plastic crap they sell now.

I have a couple .410s around here, primarily home defense guns because the wife can shoot them. Ammo isn't cheap, as previously noted. But, the easy to shoot factor is a big plus.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Some cheap scopes are really just fine for use on a .22. I have a Tasco 3x9 that cost me around $30 at Walmart - that thing is great. Never missed a beat and now it's being abused on an AR... still working great. Don't think it would hold up very long on a larger caliber rifle though.

I'm really disappointed in this new one I put on my 10/22. IIRC it was a Center Point - picked it up on clearance cheap... I don't expect much from cheap glass but the mirage thing is really bad on this one. Maybe that's why it was on clearance.

Thing that I don't like about shooting out to 100 with a .22 is that I can't see the holes in my target unless I'm zoomed in all the way or use a spotting scope. I feel like I have more fun distance shooting and larger centerfire calibers.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Thing that I don't like about shooting out to 100 with a .22 is that I can't see the holes in my target unless I'm zoomed in all the way or use a spotting scope. I feel like I have more fun distance shooting and larger centerfire calibers.
I have a golf cart here while I'm shooting. :ROFLMAO: I take a shot and drive out to look.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I watched Sergeant York, you just need to wet the sight

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I watched Sergeant York, you just need to wet the sight
And be sure to start with the last one in line first!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
And I just found a screw missing from the bottom of the stock... That uhhh might be a problem... After grabbing it I realized the stock is not at all tight to the barrel/action.
There's your problem.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Meh I don't hunt. I just shoot paper, but it's more fun the farther away the paper is... Anything under 100 yards just seems boring to me unless it's a handgun or shotgun.

On a happy note I fixed the magazine on the .410 so I'm gonna play with that tomorrow too. I always wanted a bolt action shotgun and besides being ancient and the magazine dented this thing looks like it was hardly ever fired. Never even fired a .410 before, the shells are so adorable. :icon_rofl:
Marlin DB12 is a good bolt action 12 gauge. Ive had decent groups at 100 and 150. I haven't played around with the 200 yards with it yet but I have heard it leaves a good group for a shotgun with slugs.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
A slug gun is a definite 150 yard and in firearm. I have one for if I ever find a place to hunt in Allegheny County but neither the location bor the slug gun would be my first choice. Ever since I dislocated my shoulder, I’ve become a bit recoil sensitive. So, I don’t find shooting slugs to be all that enjoyable.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ok here's a question for you .22 guys. I've been using only high velocity rounds and the dude at the gun shop said if I want tighter groups I need to get subsonic match rounds so I got a box of Eley tenex.

So the question is, why is a lower velocity round more accurate? :dunno:

One thing I did notice is that ALL the CCI mini mag ammo cracks (i.e breaks the sound barrier) while this federal auto match stuff varies and some will crack and some will just pop which leads me to believe the velocity is inconsistent and some are breaking the sound barrier and some are staying sub sonic which could also explain why some are shooting high and some are shooting low.

I fixed the stock and got that tightened up. Didn't have much effect overall, it might have tightened up my groups from left to right but no real effect on up and down. I haven't tried shooting the Eley ammo yet though.

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Ok here's a question for you .22 guys. I've been using only high velocity rounds and the dude at the gun shop said if I want tighter groups I need to get subsonic match rounds so I got a box of Eley tenex.

So the question is, why is a lower velocity round more accurate? :dunno:

One thing I did notice is that ALL the CCI mini mag ammo cracks (i.e breaks the sound barrier) while this federal auto match stuff varies and some will crack and some will just pop which leads me to believe the velocity is inconsistent and some are breaking the sound barrier and some are staying sub sonic which could also explain why some are shooting high and some are shooting low.

I fixed the stock and got that tightened up. Didn't have much effect overall, it might have tightened up my groups from left to right but no real effect on up and down. I haven't tried shooting the Eley ammo yet though.
My bench gun runs eley (see prior post).

Federal and Remington 22lr is a crapshoot for quality. CCI mini mag is better, but its not top shelf, and 22 really isn't a gofasts boolit.

Ballistics are easy - slow, round, and heavy, or fast, aerodynamic, and light.

22 is small, round, and light, so subsonic rounds are generally much more accurate, depending on barrel, twist, etc.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ballistics are easy - slow, round, and heavy, or fast, aerodynamic, and light.

22 is small, round, and light, so subsonic rounds are generally much more accurate, depending on barrel, twist, etc.
These two statements contradict each other... If a .22 is light shouldn't it be fast?

.17wsm is accurate as hell because it's light but insanely fast at 3,000fps, I assumed .22lr was the same way, light bullet so higher velocity would be more accurate than light slow bullets so I've been shooting 1,200fps or higher rounds. The Eley Tenex is 950fps I think.

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
These two statements contradict each other... If a .22 is light shouldn't it be fast?
They dont contradict one another if you concede that the 22lr (ballistically) sucks. Light, slow, and not a whole lotta power. Speed doesn't help a boolit with piss poor flight characteristics; if anything, it does nothing, or hinders it.

But - cheap, fun, and I love em.

Shooting Eley is a massive cope. Yes, it's great ammo, and yes, it shoots really well. It's also slow, has no power, and is useless for anything but paper. End of the day, it's a 22... You're still drag racing a prius.

What makes the Eley ammo "good" is manufacturing consistency. It's predictable suck, not the usual errant and random suck of most 22 ammo.

If speed and power made a 22 good, CCI wouldn't be all over the paper.

IME, and yours, CCI is all over the paper.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals