• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The importance of running Top-Tier gasoline in your 2019+ Ranger.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Direct injection... Fancy stuff. Increases efficiency AND power, whats not to love right?

Well... unfortunately, fancy new ways of doing things can bring along fancy new problems.

If a direct injection motor is run on garbage fuel.. I.E fuel NOT labeled Top-Tier (see below)..

..this can (relatively quickly) lead to an alarming amount of carbon buildup on the backside & stems of the motors intake valves, the surrounding area in the intake, and even the tips of the injectors themselves.

This buildup can and WILL cause:
  • Loss of top end power
  • Poor acceleration
  • Cold stalling
  • Misfiring
  • Reduced fuel economy
  • Check engine lights
  • Rough running
  • Poor idle
This build up comes from a few places. Quality of gasoline makes a massive difference. By just using a top-tier rated fuel you will greatly reduce the amount of buildup (regardless of injection style) thanks to its extra detergents and science.

gasket-top-tier-885.jpg

The pcv system is also a big culprit. The pcv system recycles oil vapor/combustion blow-by/unburnt fuel from the crankcase into the intake. On their way through the Intake the aforementioned gasses/vapors stick to the hot valve and get baked on.

The pcv related buildup can be somewhat increased by the DI motors penchant for fuel dilution in the oil. If you take short trips with your 2019+ ranger, the chances of your oil having a quart+ of gasoline in it by the time you hit the reccomended change interval is a good possibility. Due to this, and how the pcv operates, if your recycling non-top tier gasoline through the intake.. naturally the build up will be worse.

Running an air/oil seperator will greatly reduce the amount of buildup by removing most or all of the oil vapor & unburnt fuel before it can make its way past the valves.

DI motors are more susceptible to this buildup compared to carburated, TBI, or MPI motors simply because the DI motor doesn't have these areas of the intake/valves constantly "washed" down with fuel during operation.

If/when this build up gets bad enough, the only real fix is to media blast the inside of the intake & back of the valves. While this cleaning is getting to be common practice due to the increasing amount of DI engines on the road, its not exactly a cheap thing to have done.

While the list of top-tier selling gas stations has massively increased over the past 10 years or so, not every station is on board. Below is a list of top-tier stations.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Running an intake cleaner once a year helps too.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Running an intake cleaner once a year helps too.
I'll update the OP a couple times with some more thorough info about intake cleaners and such. There's certainly no shortage of them nowadays due to the prevalence of DI motors.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I learned this back in the 1990 with my 89 2.9L Ranger. I found that if I used a non-tiered gas, it would be hard to start when the engine was cold. The dealer could not figure it out and had a Ford engineer check it out. They replaced a couple injectors and a few other things then told be to run premium gas. I wasn't about to run premium gas and the problem came back. I decide to run Chevron regular and that solved the problem. I found I could run non-tiered gas on long trips but not around town. Apparently, the injectors would leave a drop of fuel on the tip when shutting off the engine and would evaporate leaving a residue. This residue would char when the engine was running and eventually build up enough to make the injectors squirt instead of a fine spray.

The non-tiered gas I was using then was ARCO. It is now considered a tiered gas and should be OK. I use it all the time in my 4.0 SOHC 02 Ranger with no problem.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I dump in the leftover 2 stroke mix gas before it gets too old. Lubes up the valves real nice...old gas makes great turpentine parts cleaner.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I learned this back in the 1990 with my 89 2.9L Ranger. I found that if I used a non-tiered gas, it would be hard to start when the engine was cold. The dealer could not figure it out and had a Ford engineer check it out. They replaced a couple injectors and a few other things then told be to run premium gas. I wasn't about to run premium gas and the problem came back. I decide to run Chevron regular and that solved the problem. I found I could run non-tiered gas on long trips but not around town. Apparently, the injectors would leave a drop of fuel on the tip when shutting off the engine and would evaporate leaving a residue. This residue would char when the engine was running and eventually build up enough to make the injectors squirt instead of a fine spray.

The non-tiered gas I was using then was ARCO. It is now considered a tiered gas and should be OK. I use it all the time in my 4.0 SOHC 02 Ranger with no problem.
Ran into a similar issue with a car that had a carburetor. Start ups were long and performance and fuel economy was terrible. It wasn’t worth the few cents saved and I started using big name brand fuel.

As a side note, Get Go and Sheetz use Marathon gas. I used to see their trucks at the Marathon refueling depot all the time.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I have never even noticed the green "Top Tier" sticker before. I will start looking for it.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I have never even noticed the green "Top Tier" sticker before. I will start looking for it.
Its not always green like in the picture. Most of the top tier stickers I've seen are black with white writing.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Its not always green like in the picture. Most of the top tier stickers I've seen are black with white writing.
I usually run the cheap stuff in my Daily Driver Corolla. My Santa Fe has the GDI engine and usually run the High Octane stuff on road trips.
But it seems as if I should flip it and run High octane around town for short trips, & 87 on road trips, eh?

Kira

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Many of the "name brand" stations I see which are Top-Tier (Sunoco, BP, Amoco, Shell and others) do not put the "TT" sticker on the pump.
In the future they may.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I usually run the cheap stuff in my Daily Driver Corolla. My Santa Fe has the GDI engine and usually run the High Octane stuff on road trips.
But it seems as if I should flip it and run High octane around town for short trips, & 87 on road trips, eh?

There's no difference in the cleanliness of top tier gas between grades, so all you need is the manufacturer reccomended octane rating.

And actually, I'm relatively sure that running a higher octane fuel than the motor NEEDS can accelerate carbon buildup due to the fact that a motor that only needs 87 won't burn a charge of 91 or 93 as thoroughly as it would a cylinder full of 87 because the higher test stuff burns slower.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Many of the "name brand" stations I see which are Top-Tier (Sunoco, BP, Amoco, Shell and others) do not put the "TT" sticker on the pump.
In the future they may.
Not something I would of thought of, but something i do remember noticing.. and definitely worth noting. Thank you.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I think you may be missing something or maybe not. He’a talking about brands, not octane level. So, like here, Qwik Fill would be a no-no. Garbage gas.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
I think you may be missing something or maybe not. He’a talking about brands, not octane level. So, like here, Qwik Fill would be a no-no. Garbage gas.
Yes, I guess I was mixing Brands with Octane. Thanks for the clarification. Qwik Fill is a station or brand of fuel? When I think "brands" usually it's Shell, 76, Exxon, BP, and the like. We have BP stations, but Circle K stores carry Shell gas, but we don't have a "Shell Station" unless you consider the Circle K the "Shell Station". I still have never noticed "top Tire" or "TT" on the pumps, but I will start looking.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Wasn't aware of the Top Tier designation but I've always been picky about only buying gas at QuikTrip. Seems they use Top Tier gas

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals