• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiring help needed.

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
"Lets stop thinking in terms of limitations and start thinking in terms of possibilities."
The harness that is connected to the ECM and that runs across the engine to the plugs at the firewall has been butchered and repaired over the years. I am trying to figure out a couple of wires on the harness. There are some wires that do not match the other wires that they should plug into. I need some help finding out what they connect to. Here are some pictures. There is also a picture of the plug so you can see which set of wires I am talking about. Thanks.

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
"Lets stop thinking in terms of limitations and start thinking in terms of possibilities."

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Trying to sort that out is going to be tough without an EVTM (Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual- Ford's wiring book) for your year model.

Which gray 8-pin connector is that? Any idea where it plugs to, or any wire colors that were in it originally?

There are some wires that do not match the other wires that they should plug into.
Also, that type of gray 8-pin connector is used in multiple locations. You can't rule out that in the past a differently-wire-colored connector was cut out of a donor, and used to replace a destroyed original 8-pin connector.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You NEED a 1988 Ranger/Bronco II EVTM

$42 here: https://www.crossroadbookstore.com/product/sku/60996

Here's the thing, Ford used EXACTLY the same wire colors in multiple systems
There are alot of color combinations, but wire costs money, so they repeat color combos, since its a separate system, and not at all confusing to a Ford Tech with an EVTM, lol
So a pink/black wire could be engine system, lighting system, fuel system, seat belt system and/or ALL 4

EVTM has the locations of connectors and sub-systems, includes all options as well
And wire colors for each system, and where each wire can be found for each system

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

There are alot of color combinations, but wire costs money, so they repeat color combos, since its a separate system, and not at all confusing to a Ford Tech with an EVTM, lol
So a pink/black wire could be engine system, lighting system, fuel system, seat belt system and/or ALL 4

EVTM has the locations of connectors and sub-systems, includes all options as well
And wire colors for each system, and where each wire can be found for each system
Thanks, I will order it and give it a try.

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thanks, I will order it and give it a try.

I received the book and I plan to start chasing everything down this weekend. I also got another harness coming to try to get all of this done. I will let you know.

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I know it has been a while but school started so I haven't been in the garage as much. I have been trying to figure this wiring out and I know it is probably something stupid because it all worked before I took the truck apart but I can't figure out what it is. I can hear the relays clicking when I turn the key on and off. I have no lights inside or outside. Nothing is working inside, no blower motor dash lights, nothing. When I try to turn the starter over I have nothing there either. I checked all of the grounds and all of the connections are correct except the ones I have pictured. I don't know where those wires go and I don't have anything that tells me where they go. I bought the book that was suggested and that hasn't helped. Can anyone help me with this?

One wire is green and the other is light purple with a black stripe. They come from the firewall.

These two wires are pink with black stripes. They are coming from a harness off the engine.

This wire is purple and comes from the same place as the pink with black striped wires.

This is how I have the lights and battery hooked to the starter solenoid. I checked the starter and I checked all connections. Everything is where it should be I think. The big red wire is to the battery. The other big wire with the plastic ribbed cover goes to the starter.

What the heck am I doing wrong/forgetting? I can take more pictures if you need them. I really need help with this guys. I am at a stand still on my project until I get this figured out. Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looks like you are missing a few wires on Starter Relay(solenoid)

The big red cables are correct

And the one black and one yellow wire are on correct post(battery positive), this post is where ALL the 12volt power for the whole vehicle comes from
The alternator is hooked to this post as well, via the black or yellow wire, assuming you don't see any loose wires with eyelets on them

The Yellow one looks like it splits off to 3 wires which is correct, but you will need to open up the harness to makes sure the fusible links hooked to that yellow wire are OK

The ignition switch gets its 12v from either the yellow or black wire, usually the yellow wire

Black one should also split off to at least 2 wires as well, does it?

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
What wires do you think I am missing? I will check everything after work tomorrow.

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I looked at it last night and I can't find any wires that aren't connected. What am I missing?

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll try to get up today to a 1988 Ranger I got the motor and relay plugs and ALT harness with wires off of. I don't think that side of the harness has been cut. If not , I will follow that harness from the engine and remove it with plugs. Where it goes into the harness inside the cab will have to be cut. In one picture your thumb is pointing to a harness . It has had end connectors put on it. Follow it to see if that is going to the Altenator? That would be the 12 volt supply to inside the cab and charging system.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can walk you thru this. Would prefer to talk to you though. I have the Factory wiring diagram. All colors and part numbers. Or if anyone needs to purchase a wiring diagram ; here is where to get them. They have more of other years. Faxon Auto Literature. I have redone 2 88 Bronco 11s . I am going to try and post the 2 pages of what you will need. But these pages are like 18 X 24!!

Attachments

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thanks, I really appreciate it, this has been driving me crazy.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks, I really appreciate it, this has been driving me crazy.
There are 3 things to check also regarding the lights. Pull the cover off the steering column. Yellow wire on ignition switch should be 12 v all the time. Look at turn signal switch plug. See if RED wire has melted the plug. If so fix. Also the head light switch plug are noted to melt plug also. Its fun to get to. I don't know if you can blow these up to read. If you can I will send the second page.On my I phone I can read these. Not real good with computers!!

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals