• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do you honestly feel about ford.

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a bunch of fords (03 focus, 11 fusion, 16 fiesta , 96 ranger) and subarus (3x subaru impreza) so that is what the most. the subarus have weak engines because of the boxer design, but the rest of the car is always much more solid than a ford of similar age and mileage. The quality of the interior, mirrors, power windows , wiring , is simply better. Also the ford does weird things like putting the slave cylinder in the bell housing that just make the car harder to fix for no good reason. the wiring also failed a bunch on my 2011 fusion. I am of the belief Ford simply has a business model to make their cars harder to service and not so durable so that you will buy more of their products. I believe Henry ford would not be happy with the turn his company has made. I got some fords because they were cheap (and a bit stylish) and too support the national economy.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I believe Henry ford would not be happy with the turn his company has made.
This is the same Henry Ford that had several Model T's that were junked looked at not to find what made them go to the junkyard, but to find what parts/ components were still good and workable to see if there was a way to make them cheaper since they outlasted the rest of the car....

AJ

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I have a bunch of fords (03 focus, 11 fusion, 16 fiesta , 96 ranger) and subarus (3x subaru impreza) so that is what the most. the subarus have weak engines because of the boxer design, but the rest of the car is always much more solid than a ford of similar age and mileage. The quality of the interior, mirrors, power windows , wiring , is simply better. Also the ford does weird things like putting the slave cylinder in the bell housing that just make the car harder to fix for no good reason. the wiring also failed a bunch on my 2011 fusion. I am of the belief Ford simply has a business model to make their cars harder to service and not so durable so that you will buy more of their products. I believe Henry ford would not be happy with the turn his company has made. I got some fords because they were cheap (and a bit stylish) and too support the national economy.
If you think Subarus are solid you obviously have never dealt with road salt. I agree about their engine, I've never heard one run that didn't sound like it had a lower end knock. Old cars were definitely NOT more durable, easier to work on, yes, but we had to work on them constantly. If a new car today doesn't last 200,000 miles it wasn't maintained properly, an 80,000 mile car in the 70's was a clapped out junk and 100,000 mile cars were rare- hence the 5 digit odometers. If you buy a used vehicle at least half of what you're buying is the prior owner's maintenance habits.

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you think Subarus are solid you obviously have never dealt with road salt. I agree about their engine, I've never heard one run that didn't sound like it had a lower end knock. Old cars were definitely NOT more durable, easier to work on, yes, but we had to work on them constantly. If a new car today doesn't last 200,000 miles it wasn't maintained properly, an 80,000 mile car in the 70's was a clapped out junk and 100,000 mile cars were rare- hence the 5 digit odometers. If you buy a used vehicle at least half of what you're buying is the prior owner's maintenance habits.
I am in Califronia and have never dealt with road salt. I am using subaru as a comparison as it is the other type of car i have dealt with extensively. I don't see how poor maintance can lead to something like a door handle breaking off on my 100k mile 2011 ford fusion, the radiator fan resistor connector melting on my 2003 focus or the decision to stuff the clutch slave cylinder in the bell housing of the ranger.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Many vehicle have the slave cylinder in the bell housing, an engineer would consider that an efficient use of space. I'm not a fan, either. Our shop was less than a mile from Jiffy Lube and we got a lot of their problems to straighten out. We could tell where they were "serviced" because the door hinges squeaked, indicating they hadn't been lubed. Door latches that aren't lubed bind and move hard, stressing the handles and pivots. Of course no one ever got pissed and pulled the door handle hard enough to start a lawnmower in 10 years or 100k. If the fan resistor melted the fan motor is likely worn and it's resistance is higher than it's supposed to be. Electric cooling fans help reduce fuel consumption and everyone uses them. I'd hardly call an electric motor and resistor that failed after 18 years a poor product.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT 4 x 4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
My credo
Life is just a long string of stories.
How do you guys honestly feel about Ford motor company.

I'm getting to the point im about to walk away from them. I made the mistake of buying a triton f150. As you well know. Turned out to be the worst Ford truck I ever owned. I miss the old in block cam engines. I don't like overhead cam engines at all.

GM proved that they are inferior. Well the Ford ones anyway. Simple proof is the LS swap the world guys. I haven't seen anyone dig out junkyard 5.4s for their hot rods.

So tell me what you see/think/feel. I honestly value the opinion of the people on this forum.
I don't think you can generalize and make a convincing argument. I've owned products from Dodge, Chevrolet and Ford. You've got to judge the individual product, every manufacturer has released a loser (Gremlin, Nova, PT Cruiser, Pinto).
The worst car I've ever owned is a tie between a Ford Granada and Dodge Intrepid. The Granada had the variable venturi carburetor (couldn't be tuned) and the Intrepid had a bad transmission and was in the shop costing me thousands.
The best cars I've ever owned, also a tie between my Corvette, Taurus, and my Focus ST. The Corvette was just plain bad ass, the Taurus was perfect for a small family and the Focus ST was a pocket rocket super fun to drive.
I've only owned two trucks and both are Ford Rangers. The '99 seems to be bullet proof, 270,000 miles all original except for the front locking hubs. The new '21 is too new to comment.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Many vehicle have the slave cylinder in the bell housing, an engineer would consider that an efficient use of space.
As one of "them", not only is it an efficient use of space, it reduces parts count - fewer things to manufacture/assemble/go wrong, and it provides a force on the clutch equally all the way around versus a lever setup which always applies some side force. Like the electric fan - when it lasts 20+ years/200,000+ miles without service (my '98 Ranger), it's hardly a bad design.

Having to replace the throw out bearing in the '68 F-100 was no joy and that failed after <75,000 miles.

No one ever "checked if the doors were locked" at the mall by pulling on the door handle hard enough to lift the SUV?

Boxer design isn't weak, its the execution by Subaru. They missed when they when from 8 bolts/head to 6.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Engines is goes vroom.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think you can generalize and make a convincing argument. I've owned products from Dodge, Chevrolet and Ford. You've got to judge the individual product, every manufacturer has released a loser ( Gremlin, Nova, PT Cruiser, Pinto).
You're calling the '69 Nova SS with 396 and 4spd a loser?! Pinto wasn't bad car - it was victim of smear campaign. Gremlin with 304 V-8 could show tail lights to a lot of other "sports cars" and the 4 cylinder ones were right car for Arab Embargo in '74. Looking back 50 years later, they aren't so impressive, but neither was a '70s Corolla.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Which engine did you have in your '03 Focus? As I noted in a post yesterday, my '04 had the Z-Tec. Mine was a four door sedan, automatic in Arizona Beige. I really liked that car.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You're calling the '69 Nova SS with 396 and 4spd a loser?! Pinto wasn't bad car - it was victim of smear campaign. Gremlin with 304 V-8 could show tail lights to a lot of other "sports cars" and the 4 cylinder ones were right car for Arab Embargo in '74. Looking back 50 years later, they aren't so impressive, but neither was a '70s Corolla.
You're right, a '70's Corolla wasn't overly impressive. Good little cars, but gutless. If you wanted basic transportation, and didn't care if it could get out of it's own way, though, they were a good bet.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
Ive had far to many cars over the years, from most of the big auto makers, they all have their weaknesses, most of which are drivin by consumer demand, i.e. unneeded tech, and obsolescence, since the bean counters have decided that's the best way to guarantee future profits. The mazdas, and rangers from the 80s have always treated me right. I had a Terrcell that was a heap, same with my mitsubishi with that gm 2.2 that's supposed to be so great but spun rod bearings, I miss my 79 rx 7 what a fun car but unreliable long term. My 07 accord has Been fantastic 2.4 auto all the zippy I need but great mpgs. But I still love getting behind the wheel of my 83 ranger or 93 expo, they are the most enjoyable vehicals i.m.o. I've also never been the kind to crave unneeded h.p. after a certain point its just pointless for street use, who really needs more than 200 hp, unless towing lg. Loads. I agree I hope to not buy anything newer than what I have all that tech in a vehical really turns me off manual everything with Bluetooth radio is as fancy as I need.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
The worst car I've ever owned is a tie between a Ford Granada and Dodge Intrepid. The Granada had the variable venturi carburetor (couldn't be tuned) and the Intrepid had a bad transmission and was in the shop costing me thousands.
Interestingly enough, my 1994 Dodge Intrepid was probably one of the best cars I ever owned. It was totalled at almost 200k miles and 18 years old, no check engine light on and everything worked except the A/C which was the only trouble issue I had with the car in the 9 years and 135k miles that I owned it. I nearly sank it in a river trying to cross it (ened up with 6 inches of water in the floorboards. The Intrepids transmission was finicky tho... if the fluid was 1/2 a qt low it would shift weird until you topped it off. Was like that for the entire 9 years I owned it.

Decided to buy a brand new 2009 Dodge Charger because of how good the Intrepid was. Big mistake...the Charger was hands down the biggest pos I ever owned.

AJ

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Which engine did you have in your '03 Focus? As I noted in a post yesterday, my '04 had the Z-Tec. Mine was a four door sedan, automatic in Arizona Beige. I really liked that car.
the zetec engine. the engine is solid and has behaved well. car is at 190k now. it drove from California to Wisconsin and back last summer. I crashed it once and damaged the frame rail a little bit but it still drives straight. My complaints on the focus are no access door to change the fuel pump (wtf!) , overall cheap plastic feeling to the interior (though nothing has broken yet), timing belt instead of chain, the AC fan resistor problem I mentioned earlier, plastic intake and valve covers, and how buried in the alternator is. Also not a fan of the flare fitting that I keep seeing on American cars power steering high pressure line (subaru has banjo bolts, much easier to deal with). All of these are design decisions that make for a less robust and serviceable product.

As one of "them", not only is it an efficient use of space, it reduces parts count - fewer things to manufacture/assemble/go wrong, and it provides a force on the clutch equally all the way around versus a lever setup which always applies some side force. Like the electric fan - when it lasts 20+ years/200,000+ miles without service (my '98 Ranger), it's hardly a bad design.

Having to replace the throw out bearing in the '68 F-100 was no joy and that failed after <75,000 miles.
No one ever "checked if the doors were locked" at the mall by pulling on the door handle hard enough to lift the SUV?

Boxer design isn't weak, its the execution by Subaru. They missed when they when from 8 bolts/head to 6.
The inside door handle broke. It seems to be a common problem on the fusion.
Interesting about the 8 head bolt subaru should be using. You would think they would take care of this problem. i have plenty of complaints for subaru as well.

I don't really see where there is a lack of space along the bottom corners of the bell housing on the transmission for a slave cylinder. The lever transmits its force to the throw-out bearing (yeah i see where that failing can be a pain) which should provide even force around its perimeter. its true both failures might cause you to need to drop the transmission, but having the slave readily accessible has the added benefit of being able to completely remove the entire hydraulic system in case of the need for a bench bleed

Now here is one that really bums me out about ford. why on earth is there no label for what each fuse does on the fuse box door like other manufacturers did. how much cost savings can printing the function of each fuse give.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals