• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fiat 131 build

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Idk much about fiats, and I know that after all this work you definitely wont.. BUT.. is this a car you could sell when it's done and make money on it? Or are you gonna be well upside down on it.

All that metal work looks beyond awesome.
He would have to sell it for $20k to break even. After all that work, I wouldn't sell it just to make my money back.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
He would have to sell it for $20k to break even. After all that work, I wouldn't sell it just to make my money back.
I wouldnt want to just break even either.

As I said.. I don't know jack about fiats. So I don't know how much a build like this could possibly sell for.

My opinion is that 20k wouldn't be nearly enough for a near 50 year old foreign car that's been built to this caliber.. but opinions are ultimately worthless so 🤷‍♀️

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I won't ever sell this car, but yeah it would take $20K to break even.

If I were building this car with a Fiat drivetrain and more accurate parts, it would likely fetch $100K at an auction; there's two on eBay Italy at the moment for $160K+ and there was one on eBay US a few years ago that went for $120K, and the workmanship was awful . Here in the states, finding Fiat parts is a nightmare and the engine that came with the car was a sad 1.8 with a cracked block. There is the new 124 Abarth, but it has a tiny 1.4 Turbo, and the 500 comes with a 2.4 Chrysler engine which I wouldn't consider in a million years.

Here's a real rally car that sold for $385K

These cars are desirable because of how few there are in the US, and because they won the WRC 3 times back in the seventies.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I won't ever sell this car, but yeah it would take $20K to break even.

If I were building this car with a Fiat drivetrain and more accurate parts, it would likely fetch $100K at an auction; there's two on eBay Italy at the moment for $160K+ and there was one on eBay US a few years ago that went for $120K, and the workmanship was awful . Here in the states, finding Fiat parts is a nightmare and the engine that came with the car was a sad 1.8 with a cracked block. There is the new 124 Abarth, but it has a tiny 1.4 Turbo, and the 500 comes with a 2.4 Chrysler engine which I wouldn't consider in a million years.

Here's a real rally car that sold for $385K

These cars are desirable because of how few there are in the US, and because they won the WRC 3 times back in the seventies.
So... hard to say what yours could potentially get but considering the price of those ones... 50-60k?

You should do the same with a Lada when your done this. I DO know that the Lada is just a communist tainted 131.. essentially making the 131 the second best selling car of all time according to James may.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
So... hard to say what yours could potentially get but considering the price of those ones... 50-60k?

You should do the same with a Lada when your done this. I DO know that the Lada is just a communist tainted 131.. essentially making the 131 the second best selling car of all time according to James may.
Yeah hard to say. Maybe 50K or so. Mine will be the first one with a custom chassis with double wishbone suspension.

A Lada would be cool but would have the same issue of finding parts. I'm planning on building a DBR4 next. After the 131, that's my favorite car

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
.. I'm planning on building a DBR4 next. After the 131, that's my favorite car
Jesus man... leave some cool points for the rest of us peons to collect would ya? Lol.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Jesus man... leave some cool points for the rest of us peons to collect would ya? Lol.
Lol get out there and build something cool!

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Lol get out there and build something cool!
Actually ordered some parts for my build today! Complete steering/front suspension kit for the wagon and a new fuel tank.

Not as cool as your car though lol. Some day mabey!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
How are you doing the creased dimple lines in your flat material? Not sure if I'm using the right term for that. Would be super handy to be able to do that, I have used a sheet metal brake before to make lines across panels like ductwork usually has on it but that's the extent of it.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Actually ordered some parts for my build today! Complete steering/front suspension kit for the wagon and a new fuel tank.

Not as cool as your car though lol. Some day mabey!
Awesome. I have always liked the square body cars. The Fairmont is another one I'd like to have. Very hard to find one that's in good shape though.

How are you doing the creased dimple lines in your flat material? Not sure if I'm using the right term for that. Would be super handy to be able to do that, I have used a sheet metal brake before to make lines across panels like ductwork usually has on it but that's the extent of it.

These? I bought a cheap bead roller from Eastwood and it works pretty well

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Radiator, trunk floor and fuel cell. I need to run fuel and brake lines next, then I think I can shoot some primer and start with the 12 miles of seam sealer that needs to get done.

Also added some shots of my garage while the car was out and I was cleaning up. I try to keep everything organized and mounted on the walls to maximize workspace.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I tried to do the same thing with my shop but ended up buying shelves that take up a lot of floor space. Necessary evil, I wouldn't have anywhere else to put stuff and I apparently have to have several of everything.

What do you do when you paint, cover up everything? I sprayed ONE panel with no plastic up and had little spots of clear coat all over everything in the building.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I tried to do the same thing with my shop but ended up buying shelves that take up a lot of floor space. Necessary evil, I wouldn't have anywhere else to put stuff and I apparently have to have several of everything.

What do you do when you paint, cover up everything? I sprayed ONE panel with no plastic up and had little spots of clear coat all over everything in the building.
When I sprayed my Ranger, I put up some plastic up to cover all the tools and such. Buuuut, overspray still got on everything. You can tell what tools are new because they don't have any white overspray on them.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
your hoist setup has me thinking. Did you add that in or is the house built with structural steel?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I really want an I beam in my shop to hang my chain from.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals