• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shall one replace o2 sensors?

dashhho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000 SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
my '05 B4000 has 140k miles on it. It runs okay, alot better now that I put in motorcraft plugs and wires as the previous owner used NGK!!

How do the ranger gurus feel on o2 sensor replacements. Do they need to be done if no codes are thrown? Is it really preventative maintenance or will they last a long time? Will I be mashing my knucles for nothing :)

My old dog has ~140k miles on it. Is it worth replacing them? I do intend to keep the vehicle for a long time but I was thinking of a 5.0L v8 swap sometime possibly...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
100k miles or 12 years which ever comes first

O2 sensors use a chemical reaction to detect Oxygen in the exhaust, over time, and use, the coating gets used up and they start to show "false lean" so computer runs engine richer and richer without knowing any better, until you start to get Lean Codes
So by the time you get a code you could have replaced O2 sensor 3 times over in fuel savings by doing it earlier

O2 sensors are the only sensors that can actually wear out

dashhho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000 SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
100k miles or 12 years which ever comes first

O2 sensors use a chemical reaction to detect Oxygen in the exhaust, over time, and use, the coating gets used up and they start to show "false lean" so computer runs engine richer and richer without knowing any better, until you start to get Lean Codes
So by the time you get a code you could have replaced O2 sensor 3 times over in fuel savings by doing it earlier

O2 sensors are the only sensors that can actually wear out
Wish I knew this before I put my wheel well plastic back in! Think I can still get at the upstream ones tho, just will be tight.

Rockauto only sells motorcraft upper sensors, any recommended brand for the downstream?

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My 2001 ExST V6~4.0L~SOHC with single exhaust has 3 OxygenSensors as shown below;
not sure if your 2005 B4000 V6~4.0L~SOHC has single\dual exhaust & 3\4 Sensors?
Left upstream & rear Sensors are easily gotten at from below;
right upstream is more inconvenient thru the fender skirt with the 4wirePlug between engine+firewall.
I'd just go with Bosch. More info & list of makers at
https://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Engine_Exhaust_OxygenSensors

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The difference in Ranger O2 sensors is the length of the Lead wires that come attached to them
i.e. 6", 10", 1ft ect..............

They are the same internally and have Ford O2 connectors attached, so you can use any Ranger O2 sensor in any position as long as the wires are long enough to reach the truck's harness connector

The rear O2 often plugs into driver's side transmission harness, so wires go over the top of the transmission to passenger side

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If yours is anything like mine just buy the rear ones even for the front. The one for the front of my truck came with a wire about 3 inches too short so I ended up buying a downstream sensor just to have enough wire to plug it in properly. Cheap bastards at Bosch... :rolleyes:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Try looking up cat monitors instead of downstream O2's. That's what Ford calls them.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I believe the length of the rear sensor wiring is also dependent on the transmission type.

I think the winning for the manual trans is longer then the auto, but it could be the other way around.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals