• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L timing help

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
New parts:
Distributor, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, Ignition coil, Ignition switch, Ignition key switch, ECM, Starter module, all 3 relays, Intake air control valve, TPS, Intake air sensor, Temp Sensor, Temp Gauge Sensor, Alternator, Battery, Battery cables and ground cables, Both Fuel Pumps, Cleaned the fuel tank, EGR Valve, EGR Sensor, Map sensor, and more. Only parts I have not Changed are the Fuel Pressure regulator, Injectors and heard there is a Knock sensor, if so I have not changed that.

Bootz1385

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I got the intake off. There is a intake gasket leak and the injectors are clogged beyond cleaning. New injectors and gasket will be in in the morning. Thanks for putting me in the right Direction. I'll update as I get it all back together.

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Now the fun starts. "clean, rebuild and Test" all the injectors. I bet under the lower intake is baked oil about a inch thick. That 302 is looking now, aint it. Time and money is all it takes. Dirty

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Boots,

This is anal but...I have found that it makes a measurable improvement in vacuum and overall timing correctness.

SIMPLY:

-the engine should at normal operating temperature before removing the spout plug to set the correct base engine timing with the timing gun.

-it has been my experience that for any specific engine the correct timing will be just a hair before maximum vacuum is measured.

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Gaz, I think he is busy pulling the extra 10 pounds of baked oil from underneath the lower intake. I see you have a 1987, ever take the lower intake off. Dirty

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Now the fun starts. "clean, rebuild and Test" all the injectors. I bet under the lower intake is baked oil about a inch thick. That 302 is looking now, aint it. Time and money is all it takes. Dirty
I think about a v8 swap once in awhile. But it would turn my daily driver into a high hp fun gas hog. I think the v6, especially the 2.9, is "just right" for these little trucks and Bii's. Decent power when they are running right, and easy to get 20mpg and have 4x4 to boot. A v8 would change it's personality the wrong way for me and what I want. If we could get past the very unfriendly EECIV system, we could make some progress. The aftermarket is getting closer to some reasonable solutions.

Bootz1385

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

So I got the new injectors in. Took off the lower intake and cleaned the 80lbs of burnt and old oil out. Reassembled and the truck fired right off. Sounds great and then 30 seconds later stalled out. Fired it back up and ran for a few mins then stalled. Running a lot soother. So I got it to temp by playing with the throttle, set timing at 10 Degrees after it was to temp then pulled spout out. After setting timing it ran good for a few mins then died. Now it will fire off but die immediately. Tried to pull codes but the reader won't connect. There are two plugs I don't remember disconnecting pictured below. Also while reconnecting and go back over everything I noticed the ground for the HP fuel pump came off, so I reconnected that. I was so excited as it sounded new again. Also the Fuel Pressure regulator and fuel house are now leaking so I need to source those. One more thing, The Orange Ground by the distributor, does that attatch to the intake or the block. I couldn't remeber.

Attachments

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Oh and i forgot to mention , label all the wires you disconnect LOL. Running on all 6 big soup cans now?

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Boots,

The connector is the 1st pic, on the heater blower side goes to the A/C.

I'll take a look under the hood after daylight and locate the wire connector your holding by you brake reservoir but I thought the only place that funky connector was used is to the neg battery terminal wire.

Bootz1385

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Both connectors are on the driver side and the ac blows cold. I redid the timing chain, New computer (ecm,ecc whatever). truck started up and idles. Warmed it up and reset it to 10 degrees. Went to drive it and still bogging out. Checked codes and got 63c (tp circuit below minimum voltage. 34o (egr pressure transducer sensor) and 35c ( no ege position signal, rpm low) where do I look from here? About to put full coverage and light it on fire lol. Is there a place to get a new wiring harness?

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
You need to check all the new sensors and sending units you installed. All of these have values in units of ohms and voltage, they send signals to the ECM. Follow all the trouble codes(63, 34, 35) to there perspective sensor and test. Most of these test are found in the manual and are easy to do witha simple digital volt meter DVM. Keep plugging

Bootz1385

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My Hynes manual has no test procedures but I have prodemand so I will start testing my little heart out. Stupid question but will a carbureted 2.3l bolt into a 2.9L truck? If so the engine is for sale lol. Way better with a carb or obd2 system.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Throttle position sensor needs to be looked at again. Guy in the book says when you get a code 63 (tp circuit low) unplug the wiring plug to it, and take a jumper and jump the Vref wire (usually orange) to the tp signal wire (usually darkgreen with lightgreen stripe). Then run the codes again. You should get a code 53. If you do get a code 53, he says to replace the tp sensor.

If you still get a code 63 with the jumper in place, check for 5 volts dc on the vref orange wire. If you have 5v on the vref wire, he says repair the darkgreen/lightgreen signal wire, it has a break in it somewhere to the computer.

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
I don't know anything about the 2.3. Like any engine it to will have problems to. These EECIV are sometimes trying though. Try looking under the tech library under eec-iv/tfi-iv, or listen to franklin2 closely.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals