• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Catalytic converter delete

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
PA is indeed a CARB state. All new vehicles sold in PA need to be CARB compliant since 2008.

They just don't enforce the rules on replacement cats and vehicle modifications like California does. If it has a cat and passes all other test it's fine whether it's an aftermarket universal non CARB cat or an OEM CARB certified cat though legally a grey area to use a non certified cat...

Here in NJ we are also a CARB state but since the only inspection we have is an OBD2 CEL test people do whatever the hell they want since no one is inspecting any aspects of the CARB certification after the vehicle is manufactured. Your car could literally be on fire when you drive up to the inspection station, as long as the scanner shows no codes you pass inspection.
Well, that’s a turd in the punch bowl... I’ll have to see what stickers are on the vehicle. No one ever said anything and it’s passed the OBDII test.

Time to reevaluate some things.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well, that’s a turd in the punch bowl... I’ll have to see what stickers are on the vehicle. No one ever said anything and it’s passed the OBDII test.

Time to reevaluate some things.
If you bought your truck new in PA it's definitely a CARB truck. If you bought it used it only has to be CARB compliant if it was under 7,500 miles when you bought it if I understand the law right. PA follows CARB standards for NEW cars purchased in the state but doesn't enforce it on older vehicles or through inspection like in California or New York. So while it is a CARB state, it's still no where near the full blown insanity level. (At least based on how I'm reading the rules) They just want new cars to meet the higher emissions standards but seemingly take little to no effort to enforce that stuff after the sale.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you bought your truck new in PA it's definitely a CARB truck. If you bought it used it only has to be CARB compliant if it was under 7,500 miles when you bought it if I understand the law right. PA follows CARB standards for NEW cars purchased in the state but doesn't enforce it on older vehicles or through inspection like in California or New York. So while it is a CARB state, it's still no where near the full blown insanity level. (At least based on how I'm reading the rules) They just want new cars to meet the higher emissions standards but seemingly take little to no effort to enforce that stuff after the sale.
Both of my current Rangers were bought new by me in PA.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well the 2019 is CARB regardless, I don't think anyone bothers making "Non-CARB" versions of vehicles anymore it's just a waste of time and money for the manufacturer to sell one vehicle to half the states and another version to the other half.

The 2011 definitely "should" be CARB according to the law.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals