• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally have to pull the trans.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I use a little bit of wheel bearing grease or vaseline or engine oil... on the inside. Very light coat of RTV on the outside of the seal and I wipe out the seal channel with a rag and brake cleaner. I remove them with a screw like Robbie said although I have a slide hammer that I use with the screw, not totally necessary if you don't have one.

When installing it I try to get it started on one side and slowly push it over the crank, sometimes turning the seal a bit until the sealing lip is all the way over the crank. Then I will tap it in lightly with a rubber mallet and work around it until it's seated evenly, or use a piece of PVC/pipe/whatever fits.

Often I will order 2 or 3 rear main seals just in case I trash the first one - nothing worse than ruining a seal and having to wait additional day(s) for another one.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I use a little bit of wheel bearing grease or vaseline or engine oil... on the inside. Very light coat of RTV on the outside of the seal and I wipe out the seal channel with a rag and brake cleaner. I remove them with a screw like Robbie said although I have a slide hammer that I use with the screw, not totally necessary if you don't have one.

When installing it I try to get it started on one side and slowly push it over the crank, sometimes turning the seal a bit until the sealing lip is all the way over the crank. Then I will tap it in lightly with a rubber mallet and work around it until it's seated evenly, or use a piece of PVC/pipe/whatever fits.

Often I will order 2 or 3 rear main seals just in case I trash the first one - nothing worse than ruining a seal and having to wait additional day(s) for another one.
Sounds good, but two or three? They're $33 each at Napa...where are you getting them? What brand?

Thanks!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Almost always RockAuto. I haven't checked prices on there. I would only buy one and be very careful if my only option was $33!!!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Almost always RockAuto. I haven't checked prices on there. I would only buy one and be very careful if my only option was $33!!!
I could probably get one at AZone, but I don't buy anything important from them. So it's either Napa, or I wait a week or 10 days for shipping. Ford has them for $13. The Napa one I purchased for my car, I think is very high quality (it doesn't even look like the others, brown and heavier duty), but that's one of the reasons I took it to a shop ($12). At $33, I was scared I'd ruin the thing.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Like this one that's only $18 at Rock Auto....probably harder to put in.

Attachments

Dirt Squirt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 L2
Transmission
Automatic
I used the outer/base of a line head from a string trimmer to install rear main seals on my 5.0 Mustangs. Perfect size! Measure carefully!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I could get the $33 one from Napa, order the $18 one from rock, then if i didnt need the second one, return that one to Napa. They're identical....haha, but I wouldn't do that.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Eh....I'm getting them online and wait. I've got some chores to catch up on anyway.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Is the engine oil up to the rear main seal? Do I have to remove oil so it won't leak?

Thanks

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
No, the oil level won't be up that far. Oil level has to be out of the turning crankshaft to prevent foaming, so it's well below the main seal.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
But why not use bread! Get the bearing out, then feed a duck!

What size bolt are they using in the vid? My caliper would suggest 9/16 or 14mm. I can't get either without ordering online.

I suppose I'll have to try 1/2".

Last edited:

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
What size bolt are they using in the vid? My caliper would suggest 9/16 or 14mm. I can't get either without ordering online.

I suppose I'll have to try 1/2".
I did the bread trick to remove my pilot bearing. I used a 3/8” socket extension if I remember correctly. Whatever it was, it worked like a dream.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I always use a particular 9/16" socket that I have. The pilot bearing is mounted in the flywheel, so changing it when the flywheel is removed for resurfacing is easy. The OD of the bearing is 21mm or 53/64", so a little less than that works great.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I always use a particular 9/16" socket that I have. The pilot bearing is mounted in the flywheel, so changing it when the flywheel is removed for resurfacing is easy. The OD of the bearing is 21mm or 53/64", so a little less than that works great.
That's great for applications with the bearing in the flywheel, but the OP's situation is different.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals