• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Great for a SWAP

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The classic, “is that a Toyota Celica or a mustang ii”

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
THIS WILL NOT TURN INTO A TOYOTA BASHING SCENARIO

Toyotas are Dependable AF, and they charge accordingly. When I bought my Corolla for 16K in 2008, I could have gotten a Nicely optioned Focus instead, but I went against my Natural thinking process and got the Yota. I'm about 95% sure that I wouldn't have the Focus still, but that Corolla has never spent the night at any shop for anything. Had all the Front end ware items replaced about 4 years ago.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

Toyotas are Dependable AF, and they charge accordingly. When I bought my Corolla for 16K in 2008, I could have gotten a Nicely optioned Focus instead, but I went against my Natural thinking process and got the Yota. I'm about 95% sure that I wouldn't have the Focus still, but that Corolla has never spent the night at any shop for anything. Had all the Front end ware items replaced about 4 years ago.
Eh. My fiance has a 09 focus with like 235k on it. She's had it since 170k or so and all its needed is regular maintenance type items and some slip on rockers.. slipped on.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Eh. My fiance has a 09 focus with like 235k on it. She's had it since 170k or so and all its needed is regular maintenance type items and some slip on rockers.. slipped on.
But, do you know what happened those first 170K miles. I put every mile in my "Rolla. 170K is about when somebody decides if they want to keep it or trade it in for a new one, before it hits 200K. Not saying all Focus' are bad, I just don't think a Focus would have held up like the 'Rolla did.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

You do PMs or just change the oil every other year?

I don't have anything against toyotas, but I think that whole, toyotas are expensive because they are very reliable is just a bunch of self lovin. Most cars go can go 300K if you do your maintenance, but EVERY manufacture has it's turds.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

Depends on where you live too. Toyota frames don't last in the SALT BELT, well that's what I've heard...

IMO, the manufacturer is a big deal but every manufacturer has its issues. My son works at Honda and they are going through some crap with newer vehicles at the moment.

You take care of the vehicle and it will take care of you... unless its a GM alternator.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
But, do you know what happened those first 170K miles. I put every mile in my "Rolla. 170K is about when somebody decides if they want to keep it or trade it in for a new one, before it hits 200K. Not saying all Focus' are bad, I just don't think a Focus would have held up like the 'Rolla did.
What do you mean.. done to it for repairs? or by means of proper maintenance?

I can say that it likely wasn't maintained all that well lol. It was owned by the state. I've owned a decommissioned state vehicle before and it hadn't had its tranny or rear end fluids changed in the 110k miles the state was looking after it. The whole "government vehicles are well kept" thing is a myth in maine 😅

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
You do PMs or just change the oil every other year?

I don't have anything against toyotas, but I think that whole, toyotas are expensive because they are very reliable is just a bunch of self lovin. Most cars go can go 300K if you do your maintenance, but EVERY manufacture has it's turds.
I change the oil at 4-5k miles (roughly twice a year), plugs get checked every other oil change. It's my daily commuter so I give it a lot of attention. I also drive a 34 year old Nissan Hardbody with the original Z24i motor in it, talk about reliability, that thing has paid for itself twice since I got it. I do all the PM and repairs on all of my vehicles except the 2019 Santa Fe that gets all services through the dealership and has a factory warranty that can't be beat.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
The whole "government vehicles are well kept" thing is a myth in maine 😅
I know, I work for the State of Florida (Government)

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I change the oil at 4-5k miles (roughly twice a year), plugs get checked every other oil change. It's my daily commuter so I give it a lot of attention. I also drive a 34 year old Nissan Hardbody with the original Z24i motor in it, talk about reliability, that thing has paid for itself twice since I got it. I do all the PM and repairs on all of my vehicles except the 2019 Santa Fe that gets all services through the dealership and has a factory warranty that can't be beat.

Seems like your reliability data is a bit skewed. Sounds like you go above and beyond the recommended service schedule.

I'm sure the people that only change the oil every 10/15K( "....but it said on the bottle....." ) miles or have a timing belt blow out on them because is 50K miles over due ( "what's a timing belt" ) may tell a different story.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The classic, “is that a Toyota Celica or a mustang ii”
It actually has more Mustang (I see a lot of 69-70 Mustang Sportsroof in the back) than the Mustang II did.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Seems like your reliability data is a bit skewed. Sounds like you go above and beyond the recommended service schedule.

I'm sure the people that only change the oil every 10/15K( "....but it said on the bottle....." ) miles or have a timing belt blow out on them because is 50K miles over due ( "what's a timing belt" ) may tell a different story.
recommended oil changes for my car are 3,000 miles for non-synthetic, I always go 1-2,000 over because I am a cheapskate. Do not ask to see my cabin filter, I don't even know what that is. I just get in it, keep the gas needle above "E" and drive, like a teenage girl. I cant destroy this little car. The tires do seem to be nail magnets though. But I get what you all are saying, about reliability, just remember that "I" didn't start the Toyota=reliable thing. I'm not talking about the rusty ass tacoma's with Frame Rot, I'm talking about the motors, the 1zz/2zz is a super reliable engine just like the Lima2.3 is. They all have to be taken care of to last.

My car is F-ing cool

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals