• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally have to pull the trans.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don't think it'll work with the swivel exten
If you have the engine and trans tilted down you wont be able to access that bolt easily. If the trans is lifted back to stock position or higher then it opens up that top area. Most likely a cheap six point wrench, (not socket) can be bent in a vice . Six point, not 12 point as the six point is less likely to jump of the bolt head and round it off. If you cant bend the wrench with brute force, heat the wrench red hot and bend, then cool in oil. Once bent the wrench might look like a S from a side view.
Thanks. I'll look at it raised, but it's at least 10" in front of the hole where the shift cover panel was. I can't reach it with my hand from the top at all.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don't know. I'll think on it, but 13mm. Nothing in a 13mm 6-point, anywhere. Snap-on makes a 12mm 6-point, but no other.

This is what I did yesterday. Put back on this morning just for the photos.
With the trans up there's no access...I can't get anything in and it's a long way to the bolt.

With the trans down, you can see where the end of the two extension go.

I got the impact socket back on, so maybe the head isn't damaged.

These are the tools I used and how far it is from the front of the shifter panel to the bolt.
With quite a bit of force, the 6-point impact socket slipped off. Maybe the swivel extension doesn't quite have enough angle to keep it straight. I'm waiting on a 13mm x 1/2" impact swivel. Maybe it has more angle....if I haven't messed up the head.

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Can you lower the tail of the transmission a little more? If so it looks like your extensions and socket would have a straighter shot at the bolt.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Can you lower the tail of the transmission a little more? If so it looks like your extensions and socket would have a straighter shot at the bolt.
It might go a little bit lower, but the siding on top of my plate has slid forward enough to contact the front cross-member (now). Don't know what I'll have to do to knock it backwards an inch. That'll get me about 1/2" lower....maybe, and on the cross-member.

It's probably worth a try tho......I still think I should wait for the impact swivel. I'm scared I'm going to mess up the bolt head with what I'm doing now.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just to break up the monotony, here's my other project that's now delayed.

xv1 - experimental vortex

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't think it'll work with the swivel exten

Thanks. I'll look at it raised, but it's at least 10" in front of the hole where the shift cover panel was. I can't reach it with my hand from the top at all.
Take a look from the engine bay with the engine and trans raised. That's how I pictured access.
You will have to crawl right on top of the engine.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Take a look from the engine bay with the engine and trans raised. That's how I pictured access.
There's a lot of stuff in the way...not sure if I can even get my hand that far. I'll look, but I wouldn't be able to pull any torque.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I just tried the upper wrench (in photo) with the pipe. It goes on there at the correct angle and with that cheater pipe, there's no way to generate the torque needed, but....if I used at least a 20-24" inch pipe and either took out the fender well or tried it nearly straight up (at 10:30 on the clock face), it might work as long as it doesn't slip off the bolt, or break. I don't know how much torque that wrench will take. It's a possibility if I get a longer pipe.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have an idea I'll check in the morning.

If I can get a 2x4 in from the ground to my gear-head box wrench, in a horizontal position...tight, then I might lower the jack and use the engine/trans weight to break the torque.

If the cross-member is in the way, I might place the 2x4 on it..... something like that, but use the engine/trans weight and lower the jack.

It's midnight here, but I went out there and took a look. There is room to stand up (from the floor) a 2x4 in between the cross-member and header to where the wrench would be in a horizontal position. Doesn't look like anything is in the way. I'll try that in the morning.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok, to get the 2x4 in, I had to cut it short and block it up so it would go in place.

I ended up using my standard 12-point combo. It just seemed wrong to potentially break my new gear-head ratchet for its first use.

I also had to taper the top end of the 2x4 because of the header.
I got everything tight and snug before lowering the jack very much, to make sure nothing would slip....but...

....it didn't break loose. I watched the wrench rotate as I lowered the jack. On the "open" end, it moved at least an inch and half, and I think a bit more. It's not loose. There's no more play in the wrench then there was and the 6-point gear-head still fits on the way it did before. I'd think if I'd rounded the bolt head, the wrenches wouldn't fit on the bolt the same way.

What's up? I'm at a loss. Can the bolt still be tight as it was, after rotating 15-20 degrees? ....should continue doing the same thing?

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
It looks to me that what you've come up is putting loosening torque on the bolt head about as good as anything. Do you have a long metal pry bar, or rod, that would allow you, with a hammer, to apply some tapping on the bolt head, while the wrench is torqueing it as much as you dare? In other words, some sharp impacts to the bolt while it's torqued may get it to break loose.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are you absolutely sure you're turning it in the right (lefty-loosey) direction?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals