• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody use security cameras in/on their house?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I use Ring. I have a door bell cam that replaced the peep hole on the door, a battery powered spot light camera on the garage looking down the driveway, a spot light cam that replaced my spot light and is hard wired into the house for power, and another battery powered spot light cam mounted by the basement door.

They do the recording and be accessed by a phone app. They also have the ability for you to listen and talk to people.

The battery powered cameras have an option to hook up solar panels and have worked well in keeping the batteries charged.

With the Ring program, one camera is free. Multiple cameras need the paid program. I think it’s $100 a year. They system uses wifi for connectivity.

I like them and the batteries that I can use a solar panel for last about 6 weeks before they need recharged.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'm saddened that so many people have these things, most people on my road don't lock their doors and my truck is sitting unlocked in the driveway right now.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'm saddened that so many people have these things, most people on my road don't lock their doors and my truck is sitting unlocked in the driveway right now.
Most people with these things aren't buying them as a security system, it's the convenience. You can see who's knocking on your door and avoid religious weirdos and politicians, you can check to see if a package has been delivered, you can see what your dog is up to while you're at work, you can watch squirrels have sex, you can talk to people like delivery drivers, the mailman, a repairman through them since they also act as intercoms, if you're away on vacation you can see if newspapers or mail is piling up...

I've never used mine for any "security" reason...

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ever since the lug nuts on the 2011 got loosened by some “helpful” person, cameras have been determined to be a necessity. So, if it happens again, we have something to give to the police other than “this happen on this date, at night, by unknown persons that possibly didn’t like my military and SAR flags”.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I want it to be able to record so I can go back and see what happened. I also want to be able to look live in case I want to see what my dog is doing while I'm gone.
This is where user friendliness come into play. Most systems will offer multiple options, such as motion sensor on/off and sensitivity, recording spans, which cameras you want recording, how long to save the footage etc...Mine are on the default setting of always recording from all cameras, and first in last out storing the footage. I may tweak it one day.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Unfortunately it is a reality of todays world, growing up youd lock the front door when you were away but leave the back door unlocked in case someone broke down and needed a phone.(obviously before cell phone existence). Im not one to lock vehicles, especially in my own driveway and Ive never had the key out of the ignition of the ranger. (being a manual transmission is its own theft deterrent lol) I dont leave any thing of value/importance in vehicles and Id rather a window not get broken. Only thing Ive ever had happen was back when I lived in a trailer park and a bunch of tires were slashed, they only got the right rear of that ranger, some people there lost all their tires, made me think about filling tires with propane or actetelyn and hope the slasher is a smoker. Would almost be worth losing a truck, and they damn sure wouldnt do that again.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am using a Lorex system of POE (power over ethernet) cameras. It cost about $400 for 4 cameras and a couple terrabyte hard drive. I mounted the cameras high enough to preclude any tampering. The Lorex app is sometimes intermittent but the deterrence of visible cameras remains. I have 10 of the same cameras at our church and they are really good. The POE means one CAT5/6 cable from the NVR to each camera and no batteries to replace or charge or power adapters. I also added an Arlo doorbell recently and it works great! I have to have WIFI to view the cameras remotely.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had someone steal my wife's locked escape from my driveway one night last winter. My ranger was parked next to it, unlocked, with the keys inside. Jokes on them, that escape was a giant pos that broke down on them in Newark. Cops found it and insurance cut us a surprisingly big check, it was supper trashed.

I don't leave the key in the truck anymore, but cameras are too much work.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have an Amcrest POE camera system and DVR that supports remote viewing and up to 8 cameras (although the one I have is discontinued.) Depending on the number of cameras and recording quality, you may need a really big hard drive... a 4TB drive, one or two 8MP cameras recording 24/7 will give you about 4-5 days of recorded video. Lower quality video or recording on motion only will save space... just depends how many cameras you want and how far back you want to go.

It is really sad that stuff like this is necessary. I haven't had anything walk off yet... but thieves are so rarely caught. I had several tweakers walk through my yard while I was building my shop (and while I was standing out there!!!) They were "just looking for their dog" and took off as soon as they got spotted... also have people pull into my driveway and stay for a while before they turn around and stuff... just straight up rude. Half the houses on my street have No Trespassing and Private Property signs posted now. GF&P needs to open up a season on thieves.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My security system eats pinecones...

cschannuth

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
255/60-15
My credo
Expect nothing and I’m like really disappointed
I use Ring. I have a door bell cam that replaced the peep hole on the door, a battery powered spot light camera on the garage looking down the driveway, a spot light cam that replaced my spot light and is hard wired into the house for power, and another battery powered spot light cam mounted by the basement door.

They do the recording and be accessed by a phone app. They also have the ability for you to listen and talk to people.

The battery powered cameras have an option to hook up solar panels and have worked well in keeping the batteries charged.

With the Ring program, one camera is free. Multiple cameras need the paid program. I think it’s $100 a year. They system uses wifi for connectivity.

I like them and the batteries that I can use a solar panel for last about 6 weeks before they need recharged.
I have 4 spotlight cams and a Ring doorbell with unlimited recording and don’t pay anything for service? What does the $100/year get you?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have 4 spotlight cams and a Ring doorbell with unlimited recording and don’t pay anything for service? What does the $100/year get you?
How long have you had it? The terms may have changed and you are grandfathered. From the information Ring provides, to support more than one device with full services and recordings, you have to have a paid account. One device doesn't require a subscription.

cschannuth

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
255/60-15
My credo
Expect nothing and I’m like really disappointed
How long have you had it? The terms may have changed and you are grandfathered. From the information Ring provides, to support more than one device with full services and recordings, you have to have a paid account. One device doesn't require a subscription.
About 11 months.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The person I lived with for nine months when I first moved to the town I live in was like that. After I moved into my own place, I was tempted to walk into her house one night, grab the keys to her car, and park the car in my driveway. I suppose if I wanted to be nice, I could have just moved the car a few feet (like parking it on the street in front of her house).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals