• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HELP! Added Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner… Now my truck is not accelerating properly when pressing the gas.

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
HELP! Added Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner… Now my truck is not accelerating properly when pressing the gas. RPMs increasing but slow acceleration over 2.5-3000 RPM (1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0)

I just added a full bottle of Lucas Oil fuel injector cleaner after filling up my tank. Was running perfectly fine and after adding this, I am not getting acceleration as I should. RPMs are increasing but the truck seems to not accelerate at all (or very slowly) when I am above 2500 RPMs.
Also worth noting that my 1994 Ford Ranger had a lot of play in the gas pedal so I just did the common “throttle cable mod”. After doing this it was running better as I could get more throttle and then I filled up my tank and added the injector cleaner and now it’s acting up. Hoping the injector cleaner didn’t ruin something 😅
Any help is appreciated I would like to get this resolved as soon as possible as I just finished restoring this truck to her former glory.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Not that it matters... but what are you calling a " full bottle"? The little 4 ounce tube, or the gallon jug?

Either way there's nothing in lucas that could do any damage.

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Not that it matters... but what are you calling a bottle? The little 4 ounce tube, or the gallon jug?
The small little 4 ounce bottles. Would it be possible this clogged my fuel filter?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
In magically fairly land technically if a fuel injector cleaner worked good enough to dislodge gunk from the tank and lines, yes it could clog the fuel filter with that gunk.

I don't believe in magical fairies though nore do I believe in any fuel injector cleaner working that good.

Fuel filters costing less than 10 bucks though, if you've never changed it then it wouldn't hurt to start there.

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
In magically fairly land technically if a fuel injector cleaner worked good enough to dislodge gunk from the tank and lines, yes it could clog the fuel filter with that gunk.

I don't believe in magical fairies though...
What would you think is causing this? This just started today after adding the fuel injector cleaner and doing the throttle cable mod. Would a fuel filter be able to cause this? I don’t think the one on my truck has been replaced in quite awhile.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes clogged fuel filter can cause slow acceleration. Read my edit, they are cheap so just replace it if it hasn't been done recently. I just don't believe the fuel injector cleaner has anything to do with it lol.

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic

I don't believe in magical fairies though nore do I believe in any fuel injector cleaner working that good.

Fuel filters costing less than 10 bucks though, if you've never changed it then it wouldn't hurt to start there.
I also just noticed this after getting home… some sort of leak coming off the fuel tank? It does not smell like gasoline though which is strange. This is likely related to the problem though as I did not have this leak before. What would this fluid be? It is a yellowish color and feels oily.

Attachments

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Yes clogged fuel filter can cause slow acceleration. Read my edit, they are cheap so just replace it if it hasn't been done recently. I just don't believe the fuel injector cleaner has anything to do with it lol.
Sorry the first photo got cropped weird.

Attachments

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I also just noticed this after getting home… some sort of leak coming off the fuel tank? It does not smell like gasoline though which is strange. This is likely related to the problem though as I did not have this leak before. What would this fluid be? It is a yellowish color and feels oily.
Is it spill fuel injector cleaner?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
A yellow oil feeling fluid coming out of the gas tank after you filled the tank but it doesn't smell like gas...

Two possibilities, it's the fuel injector cleaner, or it's gasoline and you have Covid.

Either way you have a leak, or you overfilled the tank.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
A yellow oil feeling fluid coming out of the gas tank after you filled the tank but it doesn't smell like gas...

Two possibilities, it's the fuel injector cleaner, or it's gasoline and you have Covid.

Either way you have a leak, or you overfilled the tank.
I believe it could be the fuel injector cleaner but how would this be coming out of the tank and gasoline isn’t? It is not on the filler neck at all… it definitely feels like oil not gasoline. I am completely stumped… here is a photo of where it looks like the leak is coming from (right at the end of the filler neck)

Attachments

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Is it spill fuel injector cleaner?
It is not on the filler neck at all and I added it directly into the gas tank… I think this would make the most sense but I don’t understand how this could be leaking without any gasoline. It’s 100% oily feeling compared to gasoline.

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
After smelling and feeling the other bottle of fuel injector cleaner I have, it is 100% the injector cleaner. But I’m stumped on how just the cleaner would spill out and gasoline did not?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals