• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Headliner wet across front.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Been there... Done that....

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
So after a night of rain, I went and checked the cab for water intrusion. It appears the rear is still leaking. So, I guess I'm taking the topper off to get access to the cargo light to see if its cracked or whatever. I will keep you guys updated.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
OK, so I found the culprit...

Hole large enough so the screw would not grab. PO obviously tried to seal it with some kind of sealant and failed IMO. I cleaned up the little rust spot and treated it. Cleaned up the gasket and light assembly and resealed them together. Then used some clips I had so the screws would grab and tighten the light assembly to the cab of the truck.

PO attempt to seal the screws.

I used 2 of these clips (one for each screw). The gasket is plenty thick to cover the whole clip.

Before removal...

Now we will see if there are any leaks tomorrow or later today as the rain has started up again.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
So I was able to pull the slider out today. Found most of the drains were clogged as well as the frame drains were clogged too.

Ended up using window cleaner on the gasket, then cleaning out the channels with a rag and screwdriver.

Cleaned out the frame channel as well. You can see the run off channel on the bottom that goes to the drains.

Cleaned all the drain holes and the channel and ended up with this crud... there is still a lot on the rag too.

Next was the slider frame and cleaning out its drains...

popped out the seal for the slider when its closed...

Cleaned out all the crud on both sides.. and reinstalled...

Pulled the pin for the window stopper in the center and cleaned the felt off...

Reinstall the gasket...

Just make sure you install the gasket the correct way. I ended up putting the inside facing out... and sadly didn't notice until I had it completely installed. Pulled it back out and reinstall the gasket the correct way and back in the truck.

Before installing the window I check the body for any corrosion which there wasn't any. Cleaned the matting surface then installed the window.

I did run some silicon on the seams at the top corners of the cab, then ran silicon on any seams that had gaps...

While the best way to reinstall the slider is with 1/8"-3/16" cord, I could not find mine. So I had to pull the gasket back in with screwdriver. Not the ideal way but it can be done. You just need to be careful not the tear or puncture the gasket. You see here how the latch is on the outside. Oops!

And proof that I did catch it and fix it. LOL

I did a water test. Good news - slider and seal not leaking any more. Bad news - found a new drip. Same area but coming from between the 2 panels below the rear window. Its not the window or seal, its not the cargo light. So tomorrow I start using tape to find it. You can see the drip on the rib next the carpet edge. Its just enough to call it a day and attack it tomorrow.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Great detective work and solid repairs... OTOH, I'll never again wish I had a rear slider, lol...

Kudos to Uncle Gump for the Ebay link to the 3rd brake light gasket... having just passed it's 22nd birthday, and being in rainy So-Fla, I'm sure I'll be needing one sooner rather than later.

Blue 92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Supercab
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey @dvdswan , thanks for the detailed post. I knew I had a water incursion problem and have not driven in the rain for a while. Washed the truck yesterday and unfortunately have the trifecta - wet liner in both upper front corners and rear center. Have a big chip in the windshield so will probably just have the glass replaced, and need to look for stripped screws in the rear. Did you just use regular clear kitchen type silicone to seal the light?

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
No, there is actual silicon for windshields. It's clear. Comes in a tube about the size of gasket sealer.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Hey @dvdswan , thanks for the detailed post. I knew I had a water incursion problem and have not driven in the rain for a while. Washed the truck yesterday and unfortunately have the trifecta - wet liner in both upper front corners and rear center. Have a big chip in the windshield so will probably just have the glass replaced, and need to look for stripped screws in the rear. Did you just use regular clear kitchen type silicone to seal the light?
If you want to use hardware store silicone, make sure you get the 100% silicone with the 50 year warranty. Most kitchen and bath sealers will not work good outside in the weather.

You can try the shotgun approach and just seal the areas he did. But if it doesn't work, you will have to do with both he and I did, and pull a lot of the interior out, and drive it that way while you investigate where the water is coming from.

Blue 92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Supercab
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The wet spots in the front were tight to the upper corners after a washing, so if not the window seal or god forbid corrosion in the upper corners where else would it be coming from? It's not like I am chasing (yet) a wet carpet.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Gutter seals. (Caulking)

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The wet spots in the front were tight to the upper corners after a washing, so if not the window seal or god forbid corrosion in the upper corners where else would it be coming from? It's not like I am chasing (yet) a wet carpet.
Just as @alwaysFlOoReD said... just the little cracks in the body caulking allows water in. You can see the cracks in the paint.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Yep, the factory just spot welded the top to the gutters, and then smeared sealer in there. That sealer getting hard and cracking is one of the main reasons the older large trucks had rusted out cab corners. Don't know about the Rangers, but they seem to be put together the same was as the full size trucks.

Blue 92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Supercab
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yep - checked the gutter seals and there are thin cracks on both sides in the middle and right down into the windshield. Is it possible to seal the cracks without pulling the windshield, or do the cracks/seams run under the glass in a way that the liquid gasket holding in the window would not seal that portion of the seam?

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You can remove the windshield trim to get to the seams. If the windshield has been replaced you might as well run a thin coat around the edge of the glass to windshield sealer too. I had leaks there as well.

Blue 92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Supercab
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
@dvdswan , you mention sealing around your windshield to stop the leaks - did you also have to do something with the cracked areas at the ends of the gutters? I've been living with not driving the truck in the rain, but son just bought a house and I need to be out in the weather

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals