• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You can walk naked outside in public almost anywhere and they’ll put you in a climate controlled environment and feed you too.

I haven’t tried it myself self…
Please don't. Everybody around you would die of fright.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
No comment on my climate, we don't need any more SoCal peeps screwing with the already screwed local government... no offence to the SoCal peeps, the guys on here are usually fine, but those that leave Ca for it's BS then try to add that BS here can just go suck a goat... no offence Dirtman, unless lawyer goat likes that kinda thing, never mind I won't ask that question, I don't wanna know the answer :)

Anywho, the '97 did daily driver duty again, went to the store to get some more oil for the F350, some beer and other stuff then I went home and added oil and coolant to the F350, changed the coolant expansion bottle, pulled off the washer fluid reservoir and pried the bracket up some to hopefully help the new to me replacement not rub the bottom off on the inner fender... The new one (I now have 3, all have same problem) was the best I have but still thin and cracked so I cleaned it up and spread some silicone on the bottom, I will put that on later... So far I can actually hear the turbo now, unloaded once it warmed up I can get to about 20psi boost where it was like 13 before. The real test will be in a month when I load the camper up and tow the 3500lb boat behind the thing over the pass... in my experience it's driven great up to 12000lb then gets doggy and runs hot, I have a feeling having a turbo that actually spins will help... Don't get me wrong, I know for sure it still needs new injectors and an intercooler, I'm not expecting night and day difference, just faster than 38mph up the pass because I'm slowing down to not overheat... If I could maintain 50 I would be ecstatic...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Oh, and if anyone is in the market for a vacuum fill kit for cooling systems, I will endorse the Harbor Freight unit as seen HERE. I unplugged the shop lights and fired up the 2hp air compressor (don't ask, I'm running off a 20A glass fuse right now...) and it put a full 25" vacuum on the system in a couple minutes and sucked in the 6 gallons of coolant back into the system. The rubber grommets fit good and the expansion screw deal was unexpected but nice...

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You got a goat problem bro?

CanineWarmIvorybilledwoodpecker-max-1mb.gif

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Did the final hinge, latch, and door seal lubes on the 2011. Other than new wipers, it’s good for the summer.

I still wanna change the u-joints on the drive shafts but they aren’t “must do” just a preventative maintenance “want to do”.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Went to change the oil this morning before work, drained it all out then went to go grab my jug of oil only to find I had no 5w20 left and the parts store wasn't open....

Off to a good start...

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Squeeze the grease out of those gray sweatpants and fill er up with that.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
No comment on my climate, we don't need any more SoCal peeps screwing with the already screwed local government... no offence to the SoCal peeps, the guys on here are usually fine, but those that leave Ca for it's BS then try to add that BS here can just go suck a goat... no offence Dirtman, unless lawyer goat likes that kinda thing, never mind I won't ask that question, I don't wanna know the answer :)

Anywho, the '97 did daily driver duty again, went to the store to get some more oil for the F350, some beer and other stuff then I went home and added oil and coolant to the F350, changed the coolant expansion bottle, pulled off the washer fluid reservoir and pried the bracket up some to hopefully help the new to me replacement not rub the bottom off on the inner fender... The new one (I now have 3, all have same problem) was the best I have but still thin and cracked so I cleaned it up and spread some silicone on the bottom, I will put that on later... So far I can actually hear the turbo now, unloaded once it warmed up I can get to about 20psi boost where it was like 13 before. The real test will be in a month when I load the camper up and tow the 3500lb boat behind the thing over the pass... in my experience it's driven great up to 12000lb then gets doggy and runs hot, I have a feeling having a turbo that actually spins will help... Don't get me wrong, I know for sure it still needs new injectors and an intercooler, I'm not expecting night and day difference, just faster than 38mph up the pass because I'm slowing down to not overheat... If I could maintain 50 I would be ecstatic...
Do you know the baking soda and superglue trick? YouTube it, but I have a twist.

If you have a hole in something plastic like that expansion tub, first make sure it’s dry and free from any kind of oil‘s or chemicals. You can do that with some carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Then sprinkle a little bit of the baking SODA around the hole. Then dribble super glue on the baking soda. It instantly sets and it’s rock hard.

Practice on something scrap. Usually if you have a tiny bit bigger hole, it’s better to do it three or four times then to put a lot of baking soda down. When you try it, if you get it right, the patch will almost be clear. If there are fuzzy white spots inside the patch, that’s baking soda that didn’t get kicked over.

I’ve used it on plastic gas and diesel cans, I’ve used it on plastic radiator heads, and I’ve even used it on a lot of metal stuff and other things where I need a quickset really hard glue/plastic/filler.

Here’s my extra twist. If the inner fender is the thing that’s rubbing on it and wearing a, I think this super glue/baking soda patch will be stronger than the plastic and it won’t scrape through. I don’t think the silicone will last very long at all, but that’s not a criticism. With the superglue and baking soda trick, after you plug the hole and thicken the container wall, you can also make up a skid plate to absorb the erosion. It could be another piece of tougher plastic, a piece of rubber gasket material, a piece of aluminum, etc. If you spread the contact area out, and use something like aluminum, it will polish the aluminum and the top of the inner fender but never break through

My two cents, hope it helps

BAKING SODA, not baking powder.

EDIT/AFTERTHOUGHT: it’s pretty hard, but you can also sand or grind it, file it. I’ve done it a bunch, it’s hard to do it smooth from the tube

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
gathered up some spare metal and commenced to drillin' cuttin' & bending.

@racsan that piece of red steel should look familiar.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
sure does. but I will have to raise the axle an inch to fully rotate it.
makes it easier to mount, stand the axle on end, raise a bit with blocks, slide adapter next to it then bolt it on.
I added a second pic

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Driving my ranger to pt, and will spend the day in the mountains to remember my Rebecca on her birthday..miss you so very much. The mountains are her favorite place to go to.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Oh, and if anyone is in the market for a vacuum fill kit for cooling systems, I will endorse the Harbor Freight unit as seen HERE. I unplugged the shop lights and fired up the 2hp air compressor (don't ask, I'm running off a 20A glass fuse right now...) and it put a full 25" vacuum on the system in a couple minutes and sucked in the 6 gallons of coolant back into the system. The rubber grommets fit good and the expansion screw deal was unexpected but nice...
A friend of mine used the Harbor Freight vacume kit also and it worked well on his 6.4 so I wouldn't hesitate to use it if needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals