• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any truth to this?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Then you get organizations like TFL that never seem to have anything really negative to say on anything. Just because they want to make sure they have access to everything.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Then you get organizations like TFL that never seem to have anything really negative to say on anything. Just because they want to make sure they have access to everything.
Have you seen the land rover one?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I haven’t watched them in a while. I did see something about a Land Rover at one point.
They keep breaking, I think they are on their third Defender now.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I am not much of a fan of the newer ones...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Consumer Reports never has been trustworthy. If anyone followed their guidance our driveways, garages, carports, and homes would be completely empty, and we wouldn't have homes either.

If the Ranger is so unreliable why are there so many of them being sold? I'm not a fan of turbo charged gas engines, but from what many TRS members who own these new Rangers are saying they're pretty decent vehicles...although I cannot afford one, the technology, and gadgets have made today's trucks way out of reach for many...so maybe in 20 years I'll be able to afford one HAHA!!! Does make me wonder if they'll actually last that long, only time will tell, the current Ranger is only what 3 years into its release here in the US again, so too early to say how reliable they're going to be as they're all still under factory warranty for the most part. I'd love to test drive one at some point but no need since I can't afford to buy one they kind of frown upon people just going out for a test drive without being in a buying position. I still have to wear out my 87 Ford Ranger first anyways HAHA!!

I'm not a fan of all the electronic gadgets and nanny controls but that's where a lot of the cost comes in, plus some of the issues that get reported...which is the other side of the story too, if you buy a new car and never have problems with it, you aren't going to be on the forum for that vehicle you'll be out enjoying that new car...now when it breaks down you'll then be on the forums bashing how bad it is, its a piece of junk, etc. That's pretty much any vehicle....and that said, every vehicle brand, and model out there have a certain amount of failures....you may get a great brand new car, while your neighbor buys the same car and has problems from the beginning...its all kind of hit and miss sometimes.

I'd take anything those companies like that say with a grain of salt, may of them are paid off to say things good or bad about just about any product you can imagine.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Id still love to know how you rate the reliability of something thats only been on the road for a month...

And JD power is still a useless marketing firm with alot of useless awards. They are not unbiased because they are a marketing firm. While their "research" is supposedly completely consumer based their job is to sell crap and car companies have to pay for their "awards".
That's exactly what I've always said too. Its brand new, under factory warranty, how do you know how reliable it is...same goes for all these Youtuber Reviewers and their so called "Long Term" test vehicles where they do a couple videos about it, then after a few months they get rid of it...so how's that long term? Nobody knows how these Rangers will be for reliability they're only what 3 years old now and probably the very first ones are just now dropping off of factory warranty...that's when you will really start getting an understanding about a vehicle's reliability is when its no longer under warranty and you are paying the repair bills....until then its really not important, and for many they would never know as they lease new vehicles for 2-3 years and get rid of them long before the warranty is up.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Fancy speak for Jeep and Toyota paid us more money to say their stuff is better....
Most likely the case as many reviewers always try and push Toyota, Honda, Nissan, or ugg...the very much over-rated Jeep brand....and honestly after driving pretty much all brands over the years, guess what's in my driveway....3 Fords and none of them are all that new....ok well the 08 Explorer but the other 2 are 30+ years old...so really I can't complain much about Ford...I can however complain about Toyota and their dismal quality in recent years.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
I think overall the new gen ranger is pretty reliable. I'm at 25k miles in about 2 years with mine. haven't had a single issue except I forget I'm in the truck because it drives so smooth and have hit 100mph easily. this thing really has some Vroom in it when you put the pedal to the floor

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
One of the great things about working at a large dealership is that I can talk to the recon manager to learn what they like and what they have continual issues with. Since they deal with about 400 used vehicles each month, they have a pretty good handle on what is decent and what is junk. The short version of their input is that all the Chrysler stuff, including Jeep, is junk. Also all the Nissans from the last 10 years are junk too, including the Infiniti branded stuff. And you don't want to own any European brand after its out of warranty because of cost and availability of parts when they do break.

The only issues they are having with Ford right now is the difficulty of getting parts when something is broken. Its not just computer parts, its getting to be all parts. And that is not just with Ford, its going to be a universal problem for a while, especially since people will be keeping and fixing older cars due to the shortage of new ones.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I think overall the new gen ranger is pretty reliable. I'm at 25k miles in about 2 years with mine. haven't had a single issue except I forget I'm in the truck because it drives so smooth and have hit 100mph easily. this thing really has some Vroom in it when you put the pedal to the floor
I’m at 27,000+ myself. I noticed that keeping the speed down is a problem too. Good thing the truck has cruise control...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
While I haven't driven a new ranger on the highway I know what you mean about the speed thing.

If I drive my 09' ranger 80mph you better believe I know how fast I'm going. Two hands on the wheel, alert, focused, sweating a lil bit...

I get in my mom's edge and can do 100mph holding the wheel with my knee while drinking soup and don't notice anything is amiss until I look at the speedometer. Using cruise in that thing is almost mandatory so you don't get arrested...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I've got over 17,000 miles and 22 months of real world experience that says the 2019 Ranger is flawless.

Do some digging on the internet and it appears Motorbiscuit is simply an opinion piece rag... they'll write up and make a case for any opinion you want, just show them the money first.

Trust nothing you read, and only half of what you actually see yourself, 1st hand.

View attachment 61040
Come back when there's another 0 behind the 17,000 LOL....JK. I think most vehicles if they're going to have major issues will have them pretty soon after it hits the road, if you don't see any major problems while its under factory warranty chances are its going to be pretty reliable....course keeping up with routine maintenance is a huge key too, most people tend to skip that stuff because it takes time out of their day from sitting at Starbucks or Walmart LOL.

I think many of the failures can be traced to poor maintenance or lack of, and running the recommended service intervals of 5-7k miles with a turbo engine probably is part of the issue...somewhere I recall someone mentioning to keep service intervals closer to a 3.5k-4k service interval and there won't be any issues with turbo failures that have been seen in these and other ecoboost engines...how much truth there is to that I have no idea, but seems logical....start skipping or going past the service times and problems will arise especially with today's tight tolerance engines and transmissions....and don't forget transmission services that dealerships love to say are "Sealed for life". A 50k transmission service interval will keep that transmission going for a long time.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Come back when there's another 0 behind the 17,000 LOL....JK. I think most vehicles if they're going to have major issues will have them pretty soon after it hits the road, if you don't see any major problems while its under factory warranty chances are its going to be pretty reliable....course keeping up with routine maintenance is a huge key too, most people tend to skip that stuff because it takes time out of their day from sitting at Starbucks or Walmart LOL.

I think many of the failures can be traced to poor maintenance or lack of, and running the recommended service intervals of 5-7k miles with a turbo engine probably is part of the issue...somewhere I recall someone mentioning to keep service intervals closer to a 3.5k-4k service interval and there won't be any issues with turbo failures that have been seen in these and other ecoboost engines...how much truth there is to that I have no idea, but seems logical....start skipping or going past the service times and problems will arise especially with today's tight tolerance engines and transmissions....and don't forget transmission services that dealerships love to say are "Sealed for life". A 50k transmission service interval will keep that transmission going for a long time.
So true. Most don't want to spend the money on the vehicle. Like most things today, a lot of people see items as disposable and not as an asset. The last 3 vehicles I've had I've made a profit on them just doing regular maintenance and keeping receipts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals