• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best starting upgrades for off-roading 1994 Ranger XLT

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
How would I go about installing a second transmission cooler on my Ranger?
It's not difficult. You may gain some insight in this thread.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
For an auto trans on a ranger a auxiliary cooler is like mandatory even on the street, off-road is a absolute must. I got mine for less than 50 bucks, took some creativity to install but my trans now stays at about 170 degrees which is perfect. I'll try to dig up my old pics. I think I got a "Hayden"?

Worth it's weight in gold on a ford ranger transmission.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I see them all the time at the junk yard. Different sizes and shapes. Easy to grab and inexpensive.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Here's how I did mine, not great but works with the supplied "mounts" you need one adapter for the high side to go from compression to barbed fitting. Just run appropriate oil lines to and from the cooler and you're good. I could make a better mount but I'm lazy and this has worked for years.

20180911_150900.jpg

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Here's how I did mine, not great but works with the supplied "mounts" you need one adapter for the high side to go from compression to barbed fitting. Just run appropriate oil lines to and from the cooler and you're good. I could make a better mount but I'm lazy and this has worked for years.

View attachment 60947
where exactly did you mount it? Is that on the outside of the radiator? Can’t quite tell where it’s at from the photo.

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Does anybody have any other suggestions for basic things I should replace on a 1994 Ford Ranger due to age (other than the basics, I’m already working on all of that)

I more am wondering if there’s any parts I should check that commonly go out in rangers from 1994?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Check the U joints on the driveshafts and front axle, check all 3 on the front axle, mainly check for some wiggle as they shouldn't have much if any.

I hope you got reasonable tires if your plan is to go offroading, with the stupid current trend of getting 20" wheels and 30" tires you aren't going to go far... 15" wheels are where it's at... sidewall height is your friend... the ONLY GOOD reason to get any bigger wheels is if the brakes are too big to fit, which they weren't in '94... I fit some Jeep aluminum 15" wheels on my V8 Explorer with the more normal type of front suspension, they self clearanced a little :)

Other than that, just tune up and check/change fluids

Yes, the trans cooler goes in front of the radiator

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Check the U joints on the driveshafts and front axle, check all 3 on the front axle, mainly check for some wiggle as they shouldn't have much if any.

I hope you got reasonable tires if your plan is to go offroading, with the stupid current trend of getting 20" wheels and 30" tires you aren't going to go far... 15" wheels are where it's at... sidewall height is your friend... the ONLY GOOD reason to get any bigger wheels is if the brakes are too big to fit, which they weren't in '94... I fit some Jeep aluminum 15" wheels on my V8 Explorer with the more normal type of front suspension, they self clearanced a little :)

Other than that, just tune up and check/change fluids

Yes, the trans cooler goes in front of the radiator
For sure are the U joints fairly simple to replace if I need to? And yes I got some 15” wheels with some nice all terrain tires. I don’t remember the tire size off the top of my head but they are a good size side wall. The new wheels I got fit and look great on my Ranger! And would you recommend getting a tuner?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
where exactly did you mount it? Is that on the outside of the radiator? Can’t quite tell where it’s at from the photo.
It's in front of the radiator and AC condensor. Mounted right behind the grill.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
For sure are the U joints fairly simple to replace if I need to? And yes I got some 15” wheels with some nice all terrain tires. I don’t remember the tire size off the top of my head but they are a good size side wall. The new wheels I got fit and look great on my Ranger! And would you recommend getting a tuner?
U-Joints aren’t bad if you have the right tools. Harbor Freight sells a kit for that and for working on the front suspension.

All-Terrain tires are a good all around tire but keep in mind that they aren’t normally designed to eject mud. So, with enough mud on the trail, the tread will become clogged and turn your tires into racing slicks.

Right now I’m running All-Terrains but once I get the money to replace my winter tires, they get mud tires as a replacement. The All-Terrains are the replacement for the winter tires.

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
It's in front of the radiator and AC condensor. Mounted right behind the grill.
how hard was adjusting the hard hoses from the radiator? Did you have to cut them at all? And did you keep it cycling through the radiator and the cooler or just the cooler?

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
U-Joints aren’t bad if you have the right tools. Harbor Freight sells a kit for that and for working on the front suspension.

All-Terrain tires are a good all around tire but keep in mind that they aren’t normally designed to eject mud. So, with enough mud on the trail, the tread will become clogged and turn your tires into racing slicks.

Right now I’m running All-Terrains but once I get the money to replace my winter tires, they get mud tires as a replacement. The All-Terrains are the replacement for the winter tires.
forsure I will look into the u joints, and I did not know that about all terrain tires. I will mostly be driving it on the street but plan to do a small amount of off-roading. My next set of tires I will look into getting some mud tires. For now I will just avoid mud lol, luckily it’s very dry in Colorado from June-September.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes it still runs through the radiator and plumbing it into the existing line was not difficult at all. Attaches at the upper line / upper radiator port with barb fitting adapters. All I had to do was slightly push the OEM hard line over a bit to make room for the rubber lines. No cutting required. Plumbing it was the easiest part of the process. I'll take a pic of how the hoses are hooked up when I go outside.

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Yes it still runs through the radiator and plumbing it into the existing line was not difficult at all. Attaches at the upper line / upper radiator port with barb fitting adapters. All I had to do was slightly push the OEM hard line over a bit to make room for the rubber lines. No cutting required. Plumbing it was the easiest part of the process. I'll take a pic of how the hoses are hooked up when I go outside.
sounds good I definitely want to see it! Also, what cooler did you buy?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals