• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing capacity?

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
To the OP: I just towed a trailer similar to the one you posted a picture of (on eBay) from Chicago to Louisville and back over the long weekend. My truck: 2004 SuperCab with 4.0, auto & 4.10s. Our trailer (1962 Broken Arrow TePee) weighs ~2500 lbs. I use a load distributing hitch (mostly because I have one not because I can't figure out how to get the tongue weight correct). The Ranger pulled it just fine but had a sweet spot right at about 70 mph (as indicated on the speedo - ~67 mph as indicated by the Scan Gauge), which was ~2400 rpm in O/D. Yes, I towed in O/D without issue, the tranny never hunted for the correct gear - that said, I-65 thru Indiana is pretty flat (YMMV). My Ranger also has a cap on the bed. However, wind resistance was/is an issue and I'm thinking about a 'wing' to help force the air over the trailer. Additionally, I'm seriously considering adding brakes to the trailer and a trailer brake controller to the truck. If you're aware of road/traffic conditions, you should be OK (WRT braking distance) but trailer brakes add some peace of mind. I saw anywhere from 12.3 to 14.3 mpg towing and 20+ mpg driving around without the trailer. HTH.

Here it is with my wife's old Escape (which also towed it just fine).

Last edited:

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tongue weight is generally 10% of the camper's weight. 8500 pound camper will have 850 pound tongue weight. trailer brakes, brake controllers and weight distribution hitches will do nothing but help you stay safe. Costly? Yes, but how much do you value your life and the life of others?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You are correct. 10% is ideal and should not be more than 15%. Depending on the trailer and how the load can be figured, 10% might not be obtainable. But DO NOT exceed that 15% number!

airbourneranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Tire Size
245/45-18 & 275/40-18
My credo
Tighten it until it snaps then back off a 1/4 turn
2011 4.0, auto, 2WD, 3:55 gear. Boat and trailer about 3500 lbs. No problem.

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
As long as it’s within the owner’s manual tow ratings for your truck, send it!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
As long as it’s within the owner’s manual tow ratings for your truck, send it!
I keep forgetting you have a newer Ranger as well. What's the towing capacity of the new gen rangers? 7500lbs is what I've found, is that accurate? Do you think the truck would handle that ok on an occasional basis? I mean the trailers I have been looking at are in the 3-4k range, I'd think the new Ranger would easily handle that? What's your take on it power wise? I wish I could remember how much the old Nomad travel trailer weighed that my grandparents had in the 80's and towed behind the 84 Ranger...couldn't have been too much weight I wouldn't think, maybe 2-2.5k. I just remember it was a 14 or 15 foot travel trailer.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just a correction, the guides and owners manuals tell you what your truck "may" tow, i.e. legal limits

What any truck "can" tow would, in most cases, be above that legal limit, but that's just between you and your common sense to decide
The guide and manual limits are between you and the police and insurance companies, lol

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I keep forgetting you have a newer Ranger as well. What's the towing capacity of the new gen rangers? 7500lbs is what I've found, is that accurate? Do you think the truck would handle that ok on an occasional basis? I mean the trailers I have been looking at are in the 3-4k range, I'd think the new Ranger would easily handle that? What's your take on it power wise? I wish I could remember how much the old Nomad travel trailer weighed that my grandparents had in the 80's and towed behind the 84 Ranger...couldn't have been too much weight I wouldn't think, maybe 2-2.5k. I just remember it was a 14 or 15 foot travel trailer.
The most I've towed with my truck is about a ton, and you could hardly tell it was there.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
The most I've towed with my truck is about a ton, and you could hardly tell it was there.
Even with your 4 cylinder you were not having any issues with acceleration? Then I'd think I'd be fine with a 2k trailer behind my 87 Ranger with the V6 and manual transmission then...and I'd think it would be ok with my Bronco 2 as well. I don't think I'd want to do too much more behind the Bronco 2, or the Ranger as the Ranger's limit is 2k anyways if I recall due to it having the manual transmission.

My 93 Ford Ranger I think was rated for 4 or 5k if I recall, but it had the 4L V6, automatic and 4.10's.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yes, 7,500# is the max towing limit.

The power is certainly there. I personally wouldn't use any ecoboost engine to do any heavy towing on a regular basis. I just don't think the engines are designed to be in boost mode all the time. For occasional full weight duty or hauling a small or medium size utility trailer on a regular basis, I don't think there would be an issue. I also don't think it would be a great idea to do a tour across the country at the max tow rating. Again, this is just my opinion.

For the trailers you are looking at, I don't think there would be any problem doing what you want with them. You may want to take some extra time to make sure the turbo has a chance to cool for a few minutes before you shut down after a long run but that may just be me being cautious.

Then engine didn't have any problem running pretty much 24-25 hours straight from PA to TX and back. Stopping only long enough to eat, bathroom break, and fuel. Now, this wan't towing anything. Just people and luggage in the bed. She ran great.

EDIT: Just remember, the engine has two modes. Eco and Boost. If you are towing, you are going to be in boost and mpg is going to take a hit.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Even with your 4 cylinder you were not having any issues with acceleration? Then I'd think I'd be fine with a 2k trailer behind my 87 Ranger with the V6 and manual transmission then...and I'd think it would be ok with my Bronco 2 as well. I don't think I'd want to do too much more behind the Bronco 2, or the Ranger as the Ranger's limit is 2k anyways if I recall due to it having the manual transmission.

My 93 Ford Ranger I think was rated for 4 or 5k if I recall, but it had the 4L V6, automatic and 4.10's.
Between the 10speed and having 310ft lbs by 3000rpm the truck can certainly get out of its own way even with a load on.

But like sarge said, a little boost makes a huge difference in mpg, and load on the motor has a profound effect on boost production so..

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Yes, 7,500# is the max towing limit.

The power is certainly there. I personally wouldn't use any ecoboost engine to do any heavy towing on a regular basis. I just don't think the engines are designed to be in boost mode all the time. For occasional full weight duty or hauling a small or medium size utility trailer on a regular basis, I don't think there would be an issue. I also don't think it would be a great idea to do a tour across the country at the max tow rating. Again, this is just my opinion.

For the trailers you are looking at, I don't think there would be any problem doing what you want with them. You may want to take some extra time to make sure the turbo has a chance to cool for a few minutes before you shut down after a long run but that may just be me being cautious.

Then engine didn't have any problem running pretty much 24-25 hours straight from PA to TX and back. Stopping only long enough to eat, bathroom break, and fuel. Now, this wan't towing anything. Just people and luggage in the bed. She ran great.

EDIT: Just remember, the engine has two modes. Eco and Boost. If you are towing, you are going to be in boost and mpg is going to take a hit.
Thank you for the great information. Yes, my trailers will be very light weight as I want to be able to tow them with just about anything. I don't need anything very large its just me and I'd rather keep things minimalistic...get a larger trailer you end up packing more crap in it over time LOL.

I understand what you are talking about with the boost/turbo, that's kind of why I haven't really looked into the new Ranger too much as I'm not exactly thrilled about having a turbo charged gas engine...however, if its going to do the job with the very little weight I'd ever have behind it then it is certainly something I may be quite interested in here in the next couple years....I was kind of leaning towards the super cab with the 6 foot bed...if I make the move into a new Ranger, my 87 Ranger and 88 Bronco 2 will well I don't know what I'll do with them...I love my 87 Ranger so it may stick around the property for chores though, it has low miles on it and runs awesome now...the Bronco 2 I just well EHH lol. I could sell it and probably not miss it too much, if at all if I got the new Ranger. Gotta keep a simple 4x4 around when I want to go up in the hills, so maybe I could hang onto it as well just for the times I want to hit the backroad trails and such, Ranger and Bronco 2 really don't cost hardly anything to have registered and insured, couple hundred bucks a year if that.

I've thought about the new Bronco too, ugg, so many choices and lots of thinking to do.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Between the 10speed and having 310ft lbs by 3000rpm the truck can certainly get out of its own way even with a load on.

But like sarge said, a little boost makes a huge difference in mpg, and load on the motor has a profound effect on boost production so..
This is what I'm throwing around in my mind too, like sarge mentioned too about the boost its really kind of one of those things is it really worth it. I don't do much towing....I do plan on getting a sub-compact tractor and some implements/attachments in the future, however it would push that new Ranger a lot to tow something like that, so I'd want a larger truck for that, but to take a camping trip once in a while within 150-200 miles of home with a 2-3k camp trailer it might be ok for that task, but if I were doing it daily I'd certainly want a different truck I'd think.

So many things to really think about deep down, and nobody rents them to be able to say rent one for a week and see if it would really be what I'd need/want.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Pricing wise between the Ranger and the Bronco, but are expensive. Heck, trucks and SUVs in general are insane.

I guess it depends on if you need a bed for hauling or not. I can’t remember for sure but I think the tow rating is lower on the new Bronco as well. The Bronco does offer more powertrain options.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals