• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

[ resolved, no scam, just "oem" parts quality issues ].. "Rock Auto Scam" ?

John97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Nissan Titan XD
Engine Size
5.6 Endurance V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265-60-20
The local NAPA guys (two locations) look annoyed when I ask them questions, frown, and peer at the computer monitor.

-Jazzer
They're the same here. O'Reilly has been my go-to since they opened up.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The local NAPA guys (two locations) look annoyed when I ask them questions, frown, and peer at the computer monitor.

-Jazzer
So you're saying you miss those days too?

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I returned some valves one time and didnt have a problem... things like direct fit cats technically dont exist unless its from the dealer and they still require modification... I work at a small auto repair shop and someone cut 15 cats(some were just resonators lol) and like 80% required cutting and welding. If you can knock the studs out just buy some nuts and bolts and make it work!

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15

-Jazzer
95% of the ladies and gents at various local Autozones and Advance Auto Parts I regularly visit are quite helpful, pretty knowledgeable, and willing to do extra research to make sure ive got the right parts lined up, bring them from nearby locations, call me to let me know they’ve arrived, etc.
All we want from Rock Auto is a single access point for asking parts questions. Even just an email address that doesn’t have to be scoured up from forums.
In any case, I contacted them via Facebook message and they gave me the email for service (same as someone posted above) and I had one email exchange and they provided a shipping label for exchange.
They didn’t reply with any responses to my specific questions though, just offered an exchange.
I’m still left with doubt that the studs will work with any nuts, and also a fitment issue just mentioned here...

I am in the awkward scenario of possibly ending up requesting a second return, even if the part isn’t faulty, since I’m unsure if the catalytic can even be hooked up to a 1989 as advertised by rock auto. I got some serious attitude from BRExhaust about this too, saying that rock auto is to blame and then suggesting I order more BRExhaust parts to fit downstream from cat, which I did and only found when receiving it that their pipe doesn’t fit their own cat either.
So who’s to blame? And who will take any responsibility?
more details about fitment in that thread if anyone is interested.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
I returned some valves one time and didnt have a problem... things like direct fit cats technically dont exist unless its from the dealer and they still require modification... I work at a small auto repair shop and someone cut 15 cats(some were just resonators lol) and like 80% required cutting and welding. If you can knock the studs out just buy some nuts and bolts and make it work!
Yeah I agree and I would love to do that and of generally that mentality. But then that’s a 100% commitment to the part and surely they won’t take a return or exchange on it, and at the moment I’m not even convinced this cat can be connected to this truck so it’s best I do this the formal ways.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Yeah I agree and I would love to do that and of generally that mentality. But then that’s a 100% commitment to the part and surely they won’t take a return or exchange on it, and at the moment I’m not even convinced this cat can be connected to this truck so it’s best I do this the formal ways.

There are several setups from 87 to 92.

2.9 and 4.0. EGR and non EGR.

There is flange variation. Do you have pics?

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Here’s the output of my old cat ..

here’s the input of my Intermediary Pipe, made by Walker which I put in last fall and which looked the same as what I took off..

obviously those two ends above mate up perfectly with the flat gasket as illustrated here..

But, the BRExhaust I bought from rock auto has this kind of output(I forgot to take a pic of the actual exhaust but this is exactly what it looks like..)

not surprisingly, I found that image by searching for 1990 not 1989. But this is what the BRExhaust 0643095 from rock auto looks like upon arrival .. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1989,ranger,2.9l+177cid+v6,1137642,exhaust+&+emission,catalytic+converter,5808

sadly the other end isn’t pictured on website or this wouldn’t have happened because I would have seen it.

but I found this diagram that shows it’s system..

so, I think the easiest solution is to see if this intermediary pipe will work for my truck since it clearly is designed to mate with the new catalytic, but my concerns are about fitment / hanging downstream..

https://www.carid.com/ap-exhaust-technologies/exhaust-pipe-connector-mpn-28419.html

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I usually just drive to the reputable exhaust shop...

One of the few things I typically pay to have done. My time and aggravation is worth the price of admission most times. I drop it off... I pick it up done with a warranty.

If I still had a hoist I would certainly do more. But I will most likely lay on my back and do a Gibson cat back in the foreseeable future.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
This is why I own a welder.

Because.....because.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I usually just drive to the reputable exhaust shop...

One of the few things I typically pay to have done. My time and aggravation is worth the price of admission most times. I drop it off... I pick it up done with a warranty.

If I still had a hoist I would certainly do more. But I will most likely lay on my back and do a Gibson cat back in the foreseeable future.
I HATE exhaust work. Fighting flaky rusty crap... Yuck.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Where did all the DIY fellas disappear to???
Hahaha I’m kidding.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I had a bad spot right after the first resonator on the escape. ( it has many ) had a local shop remove it and weld in a pipe to replace it. $50 well spent and only a 30 min wait. I had to do the same thing on the hhr a while back, using clamps, adapters and such, took me 2 hours. If I had a lift maybe it would be different but I forsee myself “hiring out” exhaust work from now on. Im all for doing things myself, but when Its that cheap & quick to have it done and save myself the time, sweat & aggrevation-why not?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hahaha I’m kidding.
I do it because I am cheap. Unlike say retrofitting OEM cruise control I get no enjoyment out of doing it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Hahaha I’m kidding.

Your the one using oem parts for a bolt in....but I too would farm out certain exhaust work... Just have not done it in this century.

I have a 4.0 b2....and a 6.x powered diesel ranger. So shelf stock parts. Not really available.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
I think i may need to just make due with what Rock Auto sends me next. 500 bucks for a CARB compliant cat just isn't possible when having a shop do it. They'd likely have a 800-1000 tab just for the part itself. I made a decision to spend a couple extra hundred to prioritize the cat to be at california standards, since i'm here guzzling gas. My cats were already bored out by previous owner so the truck is pure exhaust and the cat needed to be replaced. So it's either Fed or Carb. But other than that somewhat lofty expense of going Carb, I'm still doing all the leg work in order to save total cost. I just removed an exhaust manifold incrementally by way of a sawzall, and any shop would have turned the project down or quoted me so much that I would have had to ditch the truck. Working on the pipes end feels pretty easy now.
I will order the intermediary pipe for 90-92, which has the correct connection to output of cats, and hope to just get lucky that it lines up decently enough with the muffler and tailpipe. I can create hang points if needed, and don't care too much if output of tailpipe is off from OEM by some inches.
But yeah, it's inevitable a welder is on the horizon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals