• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 Ranger 2wd 4.0L A4LD vacuum module issue

Matt71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Reaching out for help. My son's Ranger quit shifting past 3rd gear. After reading up on this site, you guys are awesome, I replaced the vacuum module. I made sure the pin was installed and removed the aluminum piston valve to make sure it moved freely. There was no fluid in the vacuum line. Now the truck won't shift out of 1st gear. When I change the gear selector to 2 it shifts to 2nd. Do I need to adjust the module? The module has an allen screw in it. Time for a fluid and filter change? The truck has just over 100k on it. Fluid that came out didn't smell burnt and was still red.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This sounds oddly familiar lol, but I had some self induced issues.

You have a 2 solenoid valve body. OD is controlled by a solenoid. Sounds like your solenoid is not working if you cant get past 3rd. Other solenoid is for Torque Converter lockup.

If your new modulator is adjustable, you can adjust that first to see if it will shift. You might change back to your old modulator and see if you can shift back through 3rd.

If the modulator didn't have trans fluid in line, it was likely ok.

One two shift is also controlled by the governor in the tail housing. It can get hung up and is a little involved to get too, but let's start on easier items first.

Let's get it shifting 1-3 first, then worry about OD.

Matt71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This sounds oddly familiar lol, but I had some self induced issues.

You have a 2 solenoid valve body. OD is controlled by a solenoid. Sounds like your solenoid is not working if you cant get past 3rd. Other solenoid is for Torque Converter lockup.

If your new modulator is adjustable, you can adjustment that first to see if it will shift. You might change back to your old modulator and see if you can shift back through 3rd.

If the modulator didn't have trans fluid in line, it was likely ok.

One two shift is also controlled by the governor in the tail housing. It can get hung up and is a little involved to get too, but let's start on easier items first.

Let's get it shifting 1-3 first, then worry about OD.
Thanks for the input. I believe the solenoid is under valve body, sooooo off comes the pan. Other than filter, anything else I should do while I'm in there?

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the input. I believe the solenoid is under valve body, sooooo off comes the pan. Other than filter, anything else I should do while I'm in there?
Yes solenoids are installed in valve body. You have to drop valve body to replace.

Before you drop it, test and make sure the 3 wire plug is getting voltage. It is on drivers side front lip of trans pan.

The solenoids share a common hot wire and ECM grounds other wires to activate solenoid.

You should be able to here them click if you apply voltage to them, but that isn't a fail safe way to test. I had one that was clicking but was bad mechanically and allowing leak by. If you need a new one look on ebay for NOS. There are good deals out there.

I would have a separator plate and valve body gasket and reverse servo gasket handy if you drop the valve body.

I just bought this kit (except mine was 4wd) and seemed of decent quality.

Last edited:

Matt71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yes solenoids are installed in valve body. You have to drop valve body to replace.

Before you drop it, test and make sure the 3 wire plug is getting voltage. It is on drivers side front lip of trans pan.

The solenoids share a common hot wire and ECM grounds other wires to activate solenoid.

You should be able to here them click if you apply voltage to them, but that isn't a fail safe way to test. I had one that was clicking but was bad mechanically and allowing leak by. If you need a new one look on ebay for NOS. There are good deals out there.

I would have a separator plate and valve body gasket and reverse servo gasket handy if you drop the valve body.

I just bought this kit (except mine was 4wd) and seemed of decent quality.

Ok, not sure what is going on. I replaced both solenoids, figured since I had it all apart. I can't get it to shift gears without doing it manually. It still won't go into 4th. I have tried adjusting the vacuum module, screwed it in and out and no luck. I am definitely not a transmission guy. It may be time to take it to a shop. Any thoughts?

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok, not sure what is going on. I replaced both solenoids, figured since I had it all apart. I can't get it to shift gears without doing it manually. It still won't go into 4th. I have tried adjusting the vacuum module, screwed it in and out and no luck. I am definitely not a transmission guy. It may be time to take it to a shop. Any thoughts?
If it won't go into 2nd, your governor in the tail housing could be stuck.

If you took down the valve body, you can do the governor check.

That is the next thing I would check.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I have been playing with my A4LD for quite some time.....it currently has no OD (this happened after I replaced the valve body). The original problem was hard engaging and shifting (the valve body corrected that). I've had the vehicle for over a year and it has not shifted correctly. I am currently driving it as a three speed (works adequately) and collecting the parts to convert to a 5 speed (M50DR1). If only Ford made a decent auto trans that would "fit"........

Matt71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have been playing with my A4LD for quite some time.....it currently has no OD (this happened after I replaced the valve body). The original problem was hard engaging and shifting (the valve body corrected that). I've had the vehicle for over a year and it has not shifted correctly. I am currently driving it as a three speed (works adequately) and collecting the parts to convert to a 5 speed (M50DR1). If only Ford made a decent auto trans that would "fit"........
From what I have learned, my A4LD did the same thing, there is a 3/4 shift solenoid on the side of the valve body that could have gone bad. You have to pull the valve body and the plate to get to it. I replaced the TCC solenoid, the front one, while I was in there. Good luck.

Matt71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If it won't go into 2nd, your governor in the tail housing could be stuck.

If you took down the valve body, you can do the governor check.

That is the next thing I would check.
Side question. There are 2 different vacuum modules for the A4LD, one with a stripe and one without. Which should I be looking for? I think I got the wrong one from Oreilleys. Thanks for your help!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Side question. There are 2 different vacuum modules for the A4LD, one with a stripe and one without. Which should I be looking for? I think I got the wrong one from Oreilleys. Thanks for your help!
Get the adjustable one from rock auto. The one with the wheel to adjust is best.

Another tip is to look over on explorerforum.com

Those guys have a lot of experience with the A4LD as it was basically the standard trans on the explorer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals