• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New coolant line leaking!

Elopez17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, I recently installed new transmission cooler lines and a new 4.0 radiator in 1987 bronco ii. Everything bolted in as it should. I wanted to have an upgraded coolant system. But now the top hose that goes into the radiator, squirts transmission fluid. I know they say to use thread sealant. But it seems to be leaking from the gap between the bolt and the line. Is there an o ring I am missing? That goes on the flange or in the radiator. I looked in the radiator and it didn’t have one. The forums never said anything about needing a o ring when doing this upgrade. Any help is great, thanks!

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
There should be NO sealer or o-ring required.

Something doesn't look right to me with the line nuts. I've never seen one that looked like that... They appear to have a flange.

The line should be double flared and seals when the flare is tightened down to an opposing flare.

My guess is the flange on the line nut is not allowing the the line flare to tighten up.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Something doesn't look right to me with the line nuts. I've never seen one that looked like that... They appear to have a flange.
Looks like it may be a washer. If it is a washer, it shouldn't be there.

Elopez17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
I’ll try to get a better picture of it when I get back home from work. What would be the next move then if that’s the problem? My original one sheared when I removed it. I haven’t seen the other ones leak yet but I haven’t let it idle long enough to see much of anything else. Because this one leaks pretty quick. Any adapters or fittings I could put on the radiator first? Or will I need to get that fitting replaced on that cooler line?

Elopez17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
Here’s how it looks off, no washer. I guess fitting on the coolant line just has an edge on it. It’s meant for a 1991 explorer, maybe those coolant lines mount differently? I always heard it was direct bolt in, maybe not this one

Attachments

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Much better picture. I'm guessing that you may be missing an adapter fitting between the two pieces that has the male flair to match the tube's female flair. Lemme look at what I might have info wise.

Elopez17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
Much better picture. I'm guessing that you may be missing an adapter fitting between the two pieces that has the male flair to match the tube's female flair. Lemme look at what I might have info wise.
sounds good thank you! I figured I might hit the pick n pull this weekend and see what’s on the explorers and the rangers, see what I’m missing or what I can mock up. Rather not replace the whole radiator

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
OK, found it. On my 1990 B2, that's an Explorer radiator which I added and if memory serves I either to get, or reuse, that brass-colored adapter between the original hard line fitting and the new radiator. Did your old radiator have a piece on it that looked like it?

Elopez17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
OK, found it. On my 1990 B2, that's an Explorer radiator which I added and if memory serves I either to get, or reuse, that brass-colored adapter between the original hard line fitting and the new radiator. Did your old radiator have a piece on it that looked like it?

View attachment 58791
Ohhh yea it did! I did my coolant lines and radiator the same time I swapped my motor into a different body. I ended up doing whole wiring harness and tons of things. So this small detail slipped my mind. Does there need to be one for the bottom too? Do you happen to know the size of it? Thanks again

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I'm pretty sure that it took the same adapter fitting upper and lower. I converted my B2 to a manual, so I can't verify that. And sorry, but I don't know the specs for the fitting. I can't remember if they were present on the original 2.9 radiator, or if I had to score them separately (having CRS sucks). The adapter you need must have the male side of the flair for the hard line flair to seal on. But I do think that it is the issue you have with the leaking, and good luck.

Elopez17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
I'm pretty sure that it took the same adapter fitting upper and lower. I converted my B2 to a manual, so I can't verify that. And sorry, but I don't know the specs for the fitting. I can't remember if they were present on the original 2.9 radiator, or if I had to score them separately (having CRS sucks). The adapter you need must have the male side of the flair for the hard line flair to seal on. But I do think that it is the issue you have with the leaking, and good luck.
alright well hopefully I can figure something out and keep this radiator. Thanks for the help!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I "think" that these are are not impossible to find. I did find another image confirming two on the 4.0 Ex radiator in my 2.9 B2, and closer, in case it helps:

Elopez17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet that does help. I’m sure there possible to obtain. I just saw a new radiator online that came with it. And they were removed. So I know there not fixed on the radiator

JohnG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
My credo
We need to stop messing with the framework that the founding fathers created.
I just replaced my radiator and it came with new adaptors like in RobbieDs photos.
Do you still have the old radiator? Maybe you can use the old adapters from that (assuming it had ones).

Elopez17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
I just replaced my radiator and it came with new adaptors like in RobbieDs photos.
Do you still have the old radiator? Maybe you can use the old adapters from that (assuming it had ones).
new radiator didn’t come with any unfourtnely and my old radiator was tossed. I ended up going to pick n pull and grabbing some off a ranger. Replaced the o-ring. It’s a slow leak but it’s still leaking. I took it to the transmission shop because I needed to bring it anyways for a check up. I’ll let you guys know what they say. I also tried to find the adapters online, couldn’t find the right size. Got some ordered from autozone, didn’t fit. So a little harder to track down then I assumed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals