• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

might have to consider a 3.0

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Drive where there's more oxygen?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I think a 3.0 in a 2wd with 4.10's would work fine but it's not going to be too snappy. The 86's had piston slap problems, the 87's had off shore head bolts that broke. Anything newer, the cam syncro is the weakest link and it's a minor one. Change the oil and don't pull out unless you have room to get up to speed before the oncoming car gets there.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I think a 3.0 in a 2wd with 4.10's would work fine but it's not going to be too snappy.
Then you'd be surprised. 3100lbs, 4.10 gears and 154hp goes quite well - certainly snappy. I suspect the torque multiplication of the auto works to good advantage, and it has good gear ratios. Yeah, I have faster cars and it's not a drag racer, but it's no slouch and it moves out very well. Add some weight and taller gears and it would be a bit of a slug.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The problem with the automatic behind the 3.0 is that they never programmed the shift points differently for the 3.0 so they still shift like they are behind an engine that reaches peak at 2,500rpm not 3,500rpm. Aka they shift way too fast in the 3.0 and never let it get up to its full potential. Not a problem with a manual trans.

Last edited:

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
The problem with the automatic behind the 3.0 is that they never programmed the shift points differently for the 3.0 so they still shift like they are behind an engine that reaches peak at 2,500rpm not 3,500rpm. Aka they shift way too fast in the 3.0 and never let it get up to its full potential. Not a problem with a manual trans.
The shift points on mine are very well matched to the 3.0. If I jump on it it will bang off nice neat 5000rpm shifts, or lower proportional to how hard i'm on it. I'm normally a manual trans fan, and it shifts as I would. I would not change a thing about the programming.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Then you'd be surprised. 3100lbs, 4.10 gears and 154hp goes quite well - certainly snappy. I suspect the torque multiplication of the auto works to good advantage, and it has good gear ratios. Yeah, I have faster cars and it's not a drag racer, but it's no slouch and it moves out very well. Add some weight and taller gears and it would be a bit of a slug.
We define snappy differently. I've driven many 3.0 Rangers, before I ordered my 04 I test drove a short box, regular cab, 4x4 we had in stock with a 3.0, 5 speed, and 4.10's. Then I ordered a 4.0 sohc even though I've never liked them. NH is hilly, torque is required. An automatic behind a 3.0 seems to help because of the torque convertor crutching the engine. I consider the 351 4 barrel in my Ranger to have OK power. Just OK.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 98 still has 3.73 gears. I have the 4.10s sitting here. Just waiting for my friend to get my Mustang going, then he will get the Ranger to do the gear swap. In any event, I love my 3.0 Ranger. I don't know if the transmission in the 98 is set up better, but mine revs to hell and gone with my foot on the floor. I'm like, Come on man, when are you going to shift? But I do have a JET chip on it that lifts the shift points, alters the timing and fuel trims. That, a good CAI and custom no muffler exhaust, my little old Ranger gets down the road just fine. I love it! I will keep this truck til it goes KABOOM, then see if it can be rebuilt.

Honestly, I don't notice to much difference between the 3.0 Ranger and my 4.0 Mustang. But, I haven't yet tweeked on the Stang. Haven't done any tuning to it yet, just installed a CAI and a mildly modified exhaust. I have plans, just need to get it back rolling under it's own power.

My strategy for the cam sync, is to simply remove the sensor, squirt some 20W-50 down it's throat with a small syringe, put the sensor back on and drive it. I do that once a month or so. Going on 176,000 miles soon, no problems with it yet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals