• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Totaled ranger

Gangwer296

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well, unfortunately I was rear ended by some kid too busy on his cell phone while I was waiting to turn into my drive way. In my beloved 1992 single cab 2.9 4x4 ranger.
Keeping the truck vs letting insurance take the truck was only a 300$ difference so I kept it. I love this damn truck.
Now I would like to get it back together.
I will attach photos of the frame, tell me what you guys think.
Not sure if I should put new leaf springs on it and then get some axle to axle measurements and see how tweaked the frame really is but clearly it’s screwed.
Honestly thought about getting a donor truck and cutting the back half of the frame and welding the straight frame to my chassis. Obviously I would plate, gusset and ensure that it will be very strong.
This truck never let me down, I drive this truck to Tahoe 10 times a year to go snowboarding and it was my daily driver to work.
I already took the bed to scrap but I do have access to another nice bed , but also thinking about flat bedding it. Tell me what you guys think, I don’t wanna hear just junk the thing either.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Sorry to hear about the truck. You'll have it up and driving again in no time.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Could do a complete frame swap, if you can find a good one might be easier them replacing just the back half.

Would be a great time to do any heavy modifications that were being tossed around in your head. SAS, engine rebuild, ect.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My stepside/high rider truck got rear ended before I got it and I actually helped my buddy cut the frame in half and weld on a rear frame section. It wasn't super difficult... however we discovered that the frame was actually twisted quite a bit all the way up to the cab mounts, instead of about 2' behind that like we originally thought.

After I got it, I put the body on a different frame. I do not regret that at all. If yours is twisted like mine was... I would use a different frame for sure, you will never get it back the way it's supposed to be.

My '86 was wrecked too, it got hit in the front and bent the passenger side frame. That was easy enough to straighten out, and after a couple years I just cut the horns off and made a winch mount... other than one little spot that looks weird because it was kinked, you can't tell anything ever happened.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Depending on how your title thing works you might be farther ahead to find a truck with a powertrain problem and just swap that.

Cabswap to get a salvage title is a lot of work for a truck a lot of people won't touch if you ever go to resell it.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Depending on how your title thing works you might be farther ahead to find a truck with a powertrain problem and just swap that.

Cabswap to get a salvage title is a lot of work for a truck a lot of people won't touch if you ever go to resell it.
Yes, did the insurance company "salvage" the title? Sometimes they forget, which would be good for you.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, did the insurance company "salvage" the title? Sometimes they forget, which would be good for you.
I think it varies state to state too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals