• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03 Supercab - Camper Build?

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
ooo, that's purdy.
Glad I’m not the only one who thinks that it looks great all stripped down 😂.

More snow last night and just trying to keep it clean. Was hoping to get at those old leaf hangers today but might have to wait.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You mean bigger rear axles like the 31 spline 8.8's from '95-01 Explorers with disc brakes? The only real mods needed are some monkeying with parking brake cables, welding on new spring pads on the top of the axle and adding shock mounts.

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
In for a penny, in for a pound ! Might as well go all the way.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
In for a penny, in for a pound ! Might as well go all the way.
This is a common theme for me. Some might call it a problem, but the fun for me is in the process and I'm never in much of a hurry.

You mean bigger rear axles like the 31 spline 8.8's from '95-01 Explorers with disc brakes? The only real mods needed are some monkeying with parking brake cables, welding on new spring pads on the top of the axle and adding shock mounts.
Nice! That's exactly what I mean. I've heard of the L2s with the higher spline count but a) have never seen one in the scrap yard b) don't think it had disc. One more to add to my list.

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
I like the old adage, go big or go home !

I want to share a "Random Thought" when it comes to my truck, just because;

Myself, I never stop thinking of ways to improve on anything I add to, or change, when it comes to my truck. From what I've seen on this site, I'm not the only one that thinks about "whats next for my truck" ? Can anyone truthfully dispute this, I'm guessing the answer is no.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Any idea if I can switch the higher spline axles into the existing housing and change the gear-set to match? I was planning a rebuild at least anyway and it looks like I can deal with disc brakes separately.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
No you can't, the bearings on the outside are bigger on the bigger axles along with a different bolt pattern for the backing plate and the tubes are just a hair longer as it's 59" WMS to WMS.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
I found one of those explorers at the junk yard today. The disc mounts look like they will bolt up directly and I’m going to go back when the weather is nice to pull a pair.

Researching new leafs and might go with the 6 inch arc and take the blocks out. Looking at code 1 torsion bars for the front and otherwise think that will do for the suspension for now. It seems impossible to get any more flex out of the front without going solid axle or something. I probably should have done this when I rebuilt the front diff last year. Recommendations appreciated.
Junk yard axle:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I don't think those brakes will bolt on your 8.8... different size axle flange. You want the entire axle.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
They look the same because they are the same shape, but everything is scaled up just a hair aside from the wheel bolt pattern...

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
They look the same because they are the same shape, but everything is scaled up just a hair aside from the wheel bolt pattern...
Thanks for saving me another trip to the junk yard (luckily it's only about 5 min from my house). I wasn't planning to get into a whole axle but I likely will pull one and start with trying to pair the brake brackets up first and then rebuilding to swap in the bigger axle eventually. I've read the Explorer brackets can be used with some minimal rework but I'm thinking I will have a machine shop price out the right way using them as a template to see the difference.

Last edited:

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
I looked through the axles at the yard a bit more thoroughly yesterday and they’re all way crusty and don’t match my gearing so I’m passing for now and digging into my existing rear end instead. Definitely needs a full rebuild including the races and bearings. Thinking I might stick with this and some stronger steel, axles, etc.

Broken a few wrenches to these u bolts and leafs already and have ended up taking a sawzall to most of it.

Ordering parts to put the engine back together and am reading about the plastic timing adjuster being replaced. Right now I just have the manifold and valves open... any idea how much I can replace in the timing area without getting deeper? Any recommended replacement parts for here?

Attachments

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Good general rule of thumb is replace the same amount of metal as was cut out, or add more. On contrary, try to keep it light, cargo will add a lot of weight. Wood and metal are very different to work with. Maybe make a ranger diaper bag, although a loved ranger is quite bulletproof.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals