• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer rear axle swap question

wayunae

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Been reading on how to do this swap on my Ranger and I think understand everything I need to do, but have one question before I buy donor axle from a junk yard. If I am planning on installing a locker, should I be looking for an open differential, LSD, or does it matter? Im thinking I want to install a lock right (automatic/lunch box?) locker due to lower cost, don't mind if it makes a little noise in the turns. Unless anyone has other suggestions on the locker. This is a daily driver that ill take offroading some weekends. Thanks.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
If you are planning on using a lock-rite locker, you need to buy an open carrier. It will not work in a LSD carrier.

IMO, since it is a DD I would look for a selectable locker or a LSD. Having a locked axle on a DD is cool at first but becomes very tiresome later. Cool factor just wears off and it gets annoying.

wayunae

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you are planning on using a lock-rite locker, you need to buy an open carrier. It will not work in a LSD carrier.

IMO, since it is a DD I would look for a selectable locker or a LSD. Having a locked axle on a DD is cool at first but becomes very tiresome later. Cool factor just wears off and it gets annoying.
Thanks for the input!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Why a locker over Ford Limited Slip on a DD?

And I assume you want rear disc brakes, the reason for explorer swap

A manual locker, cable, air or electric, might be a better choice for DD on the rear

wayunae

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you. Yes, disc brakes is one of the reasons. Reason I was staying away from LSD is because I read that they are not as effective as a locker and that they wear out. Not sure how true that is, don't really know much.

wayunae

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS :)

Why a locker over Ford Limited Slip on a DD?

And I assume you want rear disc brakes, the reason for explorer swap

A manual locker, cable, air or electric, might be a better choice for DD on the rear
Thank you. Yes, disc brakes is one of the reasons. Reason I was staying away from LSD is because I read that they are not as effective as a locker and that they wear out. Not sure how true that is, don't really know much.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want to carry tires in the air doing serious rock crawling then yes a locker would be better.

A limited slip should go 75k pretty easily between rebuilds.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford uses a Clutch pack for LSD and the friction discs can wear out, but can also be replaced

Lockers are used for driving in a straight line, in loose material, like dirt, gravel, snow, they can get quite squirrely when cornering, because both wheels want/need to turn at the same speed, the point of Locker, equal power to both wheels no slipping(in the differential), so when cornering the slipping MUST occur in one of the wheels, which is where the squirrely part comes in, lol

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you do go with a limited slip, go to another LS axle and get the clutch pack from it, then you can rearrange the clutches to be in a better order and while in there add one more per side, it helps... plus you'll have extra parts to fix it up again later...

wayunae

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you want to carry tires in the air doing serious rock crawling then yes a locker would be better.

A limited slip should go 75k pretty easily between rebuilds.
This is for a 2wd, will do dirt trails and desert trips, not rock crawling. Suggestion? Thanks again

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is for a 2wd, will do dirt trails and desert trips, not rock crawling. Suggestion? Thanks again
I do the same more or less with limited slip in 4wd and I am happy.

They can get weird on ice the same as a non-selectable locker. Mainly unless in 4wd the rear wants to be in the front so you have to be mindful of that. 4wd cures it if you have it.

wayunae

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ford uses a Clutch pack for LSD and the friction discs can wear out, but can also be replaced

Lockers are used for driving in a straight line, in loose material, like dirt, gravel, snow, they can get quite squirrely when cornering, because both wheels want/need to turn at the same speed, the point of Locker, equal power to both wheels no slipping(in the differential), so when cornering the slipping MUST occur in one of the wheels, which is where the squirrely part comes in, lol
Its a 2wd. Will mainly be doing dirt/gravel and desert trips where it's sandy. Still recommend the LSD? Thanks!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, for sure, Limited slip is what you want for on-road and off-road applications as described

Get a winch for 2WD, or 4x4, that's money better spent for part-time off-roading
You can use a "portable winch" and have tow hooks installed at the front and back
Although a front bumper winch looks way cooler, lol

Problem with sand and rear wheel drive is that the front wheels dig in, and no amount of traction from the rear wheels will help
This is why FWD, AWD and 4x4s do better in the sand, the front drive wheels lift front end up and over the sand so it doesn't dig in as easy

For sand also invest in a small 12volt air compressor
You need to deflate all the tires down to 14-16psi, some times even 8-10psi depends on the tires, this helps tires stay on top of the sand
But they need to be reinflated when you want to get back on the road

wayunae

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, for sure, Limited slip is what you want for on-road and off-road applications as described

Get a winch for 2WD, or 4x4, that's money better spent for part-time off-roading
You can use a "portable winch" and have tow hooks installed at the front and back
Although a front bumper winch looks way cooler, lol

Problem with sand and rear wheel drive is that the front wheels dig in, and no amount of traction from the rear wheels will help
This is why FWD, AWD and 4x4s do better in the sand, the front drive wheels lift front end up and over the sand so it doesn't dig in as easy

For sand also invest in a small 12volt air compressor
You need to deflate all the tires down to 14-16psi, some times even 8-10psi depends on the tires, this helps tires stay on top of the sand
But they need to be reinflated when you want to get back on the road
Thanks for all the good info. I think this is the route I'll take. I was actually about to pull the trigger on a winch yesterday, but then convinced myself to go the locker route. Guess I'll take a trip back and pick up the winch, and pick up an axle with LSD. 😏

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals