• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 / 1999 4.0 Head swap

bpsinned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
I noticed a considerable increase in my intake air temp with a cone filter, I even tried to seal around it with insulation, but could never get it to come down. I finally went stock sealed box filter with a larger aluminum tube from it to the throttle body. The temp drop is significant.

RhodesCD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
rear 2" (leveling)
Tire Size
255/65R16
My credo
Be Prepared
I noticed a considerable increase in my intake air temp with a cone filter, I even tried to seal around it with insulation, but could never get it to come down. I finally went stock sealed box filter with a larger aluminum tube from it to the throttle body. The temp drop is significant.
Good to know, I was just considering air flow, & not air temp, sounds like I probably do need to get the coned air filter back in a air box to get that temp back down. How did you go about getting a reading on the intake air temp ?

bpsinned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Good to know, I was just considering air flow, & not air temp, sounds like I probably do need to get the coned air filter back in a air box to get that temp back down. How did you go about getting a reading on the intake air temp ?
I'm using the OBDlink Bluetooth communicatior paired to a 7" tablet. It has a 1 time $10 Ford pcm software with it. You can go in and design your own gauge cluster, digital / analog, diagnostic and code resets us a bunch of other useful things. I have a gauge setup for towing that shows me trans temp, air intake temp, oil temp ac clutch on/off. Software connects to my home network and keeps firmware updated and emails data logs.

RhodesCD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
rear 2" (leveling)
Tire Size
255/65R16
My credo
Be Prepared
Any thoughts in respect to using a MAF from a 4.0L SOHC (65mm) supposedly bigger, then the MAF on my 1998 4.0L MAF OHV?
Would this work without a programmer?
Does this make much of a difference in performance?

Last edited:

RhodesCD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
rear 2" (leveling)
Tire Size
255/65R16
My credo
Be Prepared
Curious on how much intake air temp affects your performance & how that might be measured?
Also I remember a MARCH RAM air I used to have with my '89 Mustang, it had an intake scope which brought in the air from underneath the car, wonder if there's anything like this for a Ranger?

bpsinned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
I'm using the OBDlink Bluetooth communicatior paired to a 7" tablet. It has a 1 time $10 Ford pcm software with it. You can go in and design your own gauge cluster, digital / analog, diagnostic and code resets us a bunch of other useful things. I have a gauge setup for towing that shows me trans temp, air intake temp, oil temp ac clutch on/off. Software connects to my home network and keeps firmware updated and emails data logs.
View attachment 56314View attachment 56314
Any thoughts in respect to using a MAF from a 4.0L SOHC (65mm) supposedly bigger, then the MAF on my 1998 4.0L MAF OHV?
Would this work without a programmer?
Does this make much of a difference in performance?
I'm going to be using the SOHC MAF, and would definitely think you would need to adjust the tune. I think not so much for the size, but for the airflow calibration in conjuction with the pcm... Those SOHC heads breathe differently, so the calibration for fuel/ air needs to be modified. I planned on a complete custom tune from the beginning.

bpsinned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Curious on how much intake air temp affects your performance & how that might be measured?
Also I remember a MARCH RAM air I used to have with my '89 Mustang, it had an intake scope which brought in the air from underneath the car, wonder if there's anything like this for a Ranger?
Cooler air is more dense with oxygen, which means more fuel for combustion,which means more power....When I compared my intake temp from inside the engine compartment vs. from stock air box ther was a 50/60 degree temp difference during the summer. I noticed the difference in throttle response instantly. Im also using 2 oil catch cans which prevent blow by gases from being sucked back into my intake for reburn, and robbing octane.Its a bunch of small things that can help pull every little bit out of these engines. I have an idea for converting individual plug mounted coil packs from a 5.0 on my 4.0 by dissecting the one pc coil pack and fabing a wire harness from it that delivers the firing order and powers the individual coil packs. Do these motors experience spark fade above 3000 rpm?...probably not, but you wont see another one like it...lol

JeffAllen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
RhodesCD,

Since you chose 98tm ohv heads my advice is that you use 2.9L headers and have the ports matched to them. Ford cut the 94 and 95tm exhaust ports perfect for 2.9L headers but the inlets to the exhaust manifolds they used were oversized to try and trick/beat emissions; this ruined the exhaust velocity as will a set of 4.0L headers.

To be clear bpsinned is using 90tm heads in a 97 4.0L; he can safely add 94, 4.0L OHV pistons and run very near stock compresion. He can use 4.0L SOHC flat tops and raise the compression a whole point because he is using the big dish 90th heads.

With 97TM HEADS you can use 97 ohv pistons and mill the heads 0.030" and realise a full compression point. I have been told that a 97 EEC will run 95 or 97 4.0L ohv pistons no problem but that it will not get along with 94 shallow dome pistons and using SOHC 4.0L pistons is definitely not recommended for that EEC.

Neither of you need more than #19 injectors; they are supposed to be plenty through 250hp.

bpsinned,

If you haven't bought your cam or springs yet, I can help you save some money. My custom reground cam only cost $200 including shipping both directions from Oregon Cam Grinders of Vancouver Wa (they offer both Comp Cam profiles). My springs are a double set used in Ford V8's which worked out perfect for the new lift needs, the set was only $80. I have the part number if you are interested. I also have the cam specs that I'm using, though they are specific to the flow characteristics of my engine and used with an automatic.

I strongly urge you both to consider having your stock T/B bored, though not the cheapest procedure, that extra 3hp across the RPM band is a solid gain!!!

Also, since you are both stepping into higher compression power, don't skimp where money is best spent; spend the extra couple dollars and get the ARP piston rod bolts. If you are adding headers, Stage 8 offers great locking header bolts; there is nothing better than torquing header bolts once, FOREVER ☕☕☕

FYI; the heads need a little work but of the 4 pieces that lower intake manifold came back the lightest. Just like with it's sibling the 2.9L, the lower intake manifold required the most material removed.

Hey Gaz I will probably build a new shortblock for my 2000 Ranger within the next few years to replace the tired stock 23k miler..I just replaced the heads on the old motor with 98TM style heads I ported and polished and am putting it all back together now..Also ported and polished the Lower intake which I was Amazed at how much I opened up the ports on it..Also bought a pair of SS JBA headers for it that I'm having ceramic coated right now.

What would the Compression ratio be if I went with a set of flat top SOHC 4.0 pistons in a new shortblock with these 98TM heads I ported? I already know I would go with a Comp 422 cam in the new shortblock.Looking toward the future because this stock motor has 235k miles on it so not sure how many more miles I will be able to get out of it.

Attachments

RhodesCD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
rear 2" (leveling)
Tire Size
255/65R16
My credo
Be Prepared
View attachment 56314View attachment 56314

I'm going to be using the SOHC MAF, and would definitely think you would need to adjust the tune. I think not so much for the size, but for the airflow calibration in conjuction with the pcm... Those SOHC heads breathe differently, so the calibration for fuel/ air needs to be modified. I planned on a complete custom tune from the beginning.
Any tips or notes on how to use the ford pcm software?

RhodesCD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
rear 2" (leveling)
Tire Size
255/65R16
My credo
Be Prepared
Rhoades I'm going with a 65mm MAF from a SOHC engine, and a 66mm throttle body from BBK. Where exactly are you pulling intake air from, a seal box, or a filter located in the engine compartment?
It's an older Street Smart Design with a carbon fiber shield box, air comes in from underneath, but it isn't totally sealed

RhodesCD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
rear 2" (leveling)
Tire Size
255/65R16
My credo
Be Prepared
Those monitoring aspects like air intake temp are great, but wouldn't I still need to get a programmer for tweaking the pcm to take advantage of the compression change to 10:1 with the 422 comps cam, bbk throttle, heads ported & polish with expanded exhaust ports, jba shorty headers, upper & lower intake ported ?

JeffAllen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
The way the factory airbox is designed I don't see a reason to remove it its already a cold air intake the only thing that needs to be done to it is remove the baffle from the front of the airbox and enlarge the inlet hole and a larger volume of air will be forced into the intake the faster you drive.The intake tube from the airbox to the throttle body could be made from 3" aluminum tubing to remove all of the intake restrictions.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals